Why do we spend money on these machines?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any experienced detectorist knows that any junk signal could be a significant find. The only benefit gained by reliable TID is to allow for the user to bypass unwanted targets. The same could, of course, be said about discrimination. If you run all metal, or at least the non-ferrous portion of the spectrum, then you are, basically, left with one indicator; is the target in the junk range, or not. With current technology we are digging less, but is that a good thing? Any reluctance to dig is a sign, to me at least, that I need to get with the program.

Upvote 0

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I know what you mean .I try to dig tone first ID 2nd but sometimes i get lazy.
Hunting a old house last year that has been hit scence the 1980s
I dug 2 old bottle caps in a row the 3rd target was a piece of copper pipe
The 4th target was about the same ID. I almost walked but dug my first Barber Quarter 5in deep .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People asked the manufactures for a screen to tell them what was in the ground before they dug and the wish was granted. We know the target could be anything but there are those people that constantly study VDI numbers or only dig a certain coin that shows on the screen. They call that fun..............

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 11 months into my first TDI machine and I am quite sure I will never use anything else. I am able once again to go into the local parks and fairgrounds(places I gave up on yrs ago) and find old coins. Its all because of the TDI. These places are literally junkyards. The first 3" of soil are filled with tabs, foil and zinc pennies. Because of TDI and a digital depth readout I am able to pass on most targets in that crappy three inch zone. As a result I am able to cover more ground and concentrate on the more desirable deeper targets. As for yard hunting I am also convinced that TDI is the way to go. Yes, I am cherrypicking but I used to have a problem with having too many targets in the finely manicured lawns of the historic older section of town. Its not like digging every target was possible before just because the homeowners get nervous when they see me every other minute recovering a target(I never damaged the lawns during recovery but it does make people nervous and sometimes the neighbor would not give me permission because he saw how I "dug up his neighbor lawn". With TDI I once again concentrate on the deep high readout targets and dig much less but I get permission more often. Its a tradeoff but my results are much better and more satisfying than with my older nonTDI machine.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
limegoldconvertible68 said:
I am 11 months into my first TDI machine and I am quite sure I will never use anything else. I am able once again to go into the local parks and fairgrounds(places I gave up on yrs ago) and find old coins. Its all because of the TDI. These places are literally junkyards. The first 3" of soil are filled with tabs, foil and zinc pennies. Because of TDI and a digital depth readout I am able to pass on most targets in that crappy three inch zone. As a result I am able to cover more ground and concentrate on the more desirable deeper targets. As for yard hunting I am also convinced that TDI is the way to go. Yes, I am cherrypicking but I used to have a problem with having too many targets in the finely manicured lawns of the historic older section of town. Its not like digging every target was possible before just because the homeowners get nervous when they see me every other minute recovering a target(I never damaged the lawns during recovery but it does make people nervous and sometimes the neighbor would not give me permission because he saw how I "dug up his neighbor lawn". With TDI I once again concentrate on the deep high readout targets and dig much less but I get permission more often. Its a tradeoff but my results are much better and more satisfying than with my older nonTDI machine.
But you can tell the depth of a object with out a TDI detector and be just as accurate as the TDI is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the worse mistakes I made in detecting was watching the screen. It didn't take long until I was taught a lesson. Now many years later I really can't imagine looking at the ID for any reason. It's one of those things that makes zero sense to me because if you know your detector it changes nothing. (for where I hunt anyway)

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm not able to get out and hunt like I used too but I dig everything, I look at the screen to see the number and then I dig. I have read to many times on this forum if I didn't dig that last target I would not of gotten this fine ring!!! The Screen just gives me something else to look at. LOL

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely.

I dig it all. I usually know what it is before I dig it--and I am usually right. But I have been surprised in the past by a few BIG finds.

Here's a good post I wrote on this same topic a while ago on the forum. I also talk about how the market seems to be "grooming us" for the meter and eliminating the knob:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,178510.0.html

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Absolutely.

I dig it all. I usually know what it is before I dig it--and I am usually right. But I have been surprised in the past by a few BIG finds.

Here's a good post I wrote on this same topic a while ago on the forum. I also talk about how the market seems to be "grooming us" for the meter and eliminating the knob:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

I don't need either, just an on button. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Absolutely.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Preset sensitivity, preset ground balance, no discrimination?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Absolutely.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Preset sensitivity, preset ground balance, no discrimination?

My detector is auto GB and I never change the settings, so it's just a matter of turning it on. If it could be locked like that, and all the extra features gone, and weight cut back, I'd do it for sure... maybe with the exception to deal with interference. (sens. and noise cancel)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artzstuff1 said:
They make such a thing ,,,,its called a "Tesoro"!!!!!!

So you think there is no difference between the electronics and operation of an Explorer vs a Tesoro? I'm guessing you haven't tried both.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
artzstuff1 said:

So you think there is no difference between the electronics and operation of an Explorer vs a Tesoro? I'm guessing you haven't tried both.

When you've worked out your sites with your Explorer, give me a call and I will finish the job with a Tesoro. :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
artzstuff1 said:

When you've worked out your sites with your Explorer, give me a call and I will finish the job with a Tesoro. :D

I thought that too.... so you better have something other than a Silver Umax, Bandido Umax, Vaquero, or Tejon!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
artzstuff1 said:

I thought that too.... so you better have something other than a Silver Umax, Bandido Umax, Vaquero, or Tejon!

OK, then give me a call--but only if you're ready to see me up on the banner one more time than you. :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
artzstuff1 said:

OK, then give me a call--but only if you're ready to see me up on the banner one more time than you. :laughing7:

How many are you at? Banners? I'm two but was robbed for the third. :-\

I definitely plan to be up there this year again! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
artzstuff1 said:

I've been up top Three times. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
artzstuff1 said:

I've been up top Three times. :)

I guess you're in trouble because I'll be 4 after this year! :thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Beep Goes On said:
Any experienced detectorist knows that any junk signal could be a significant find. The only benefit gained by reliable TID is to allow for the user to bypass unwanted targets.

There is the key. At a park or picnic ground if you have dug two dozen pull tabs at VDI number 59 it is pretty luxurious to ignore every "59" thereafter and concentrate on other signals. I still don't much use a notch or much discrimination as I prefer to make the decision myself and not leave it up to the detector. Occasionally those pulltabs torn out to be nice jewelry. The display is just another tool. Techniques like "X"ing the spot and lifting the coil while watching the display are also handy in deciding what to dig.

The FE3O4 gauge on my F75 is also a huge help in areas that have the old steel bottlecaps. Avoid those and you also avoid old small silver denominations.

I started "real" detecting with a Musky and got used to diging everything. Some days and in some spots I still do. Pays to know how to interpret those signals (and displays). There are millions of things buried and eight icons plus maybe 100 numbers. They can't come close to identifying it all without huge regions of overlap. Modern detectors are great but they still do a lot of guessing based on the design parameters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions