Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
HI THERE, I hunt with a old 6000 srs 3 coinmaster with a 8 inch coil with good results. The past couple of years i have noticed that whites have went to the 10 inch coil and a so called high end circuitry . Back east I hunted mainly for Silver Coins and relics and never seen any other coin/relic hunters ; my average depth was 5 to 8 inches with the odd silver at 10 inches plus.

Big Iron I have pulled out at 14inches plus . Now that I moved out west here and had the oppertunity to hunt areas that I know that have bin picked over , yet I still walked away with good pickings and wonder how these were missed by other hunters that have the high end machines. Now I bought one of these Spectrum's with the 10 inch coil and gave it a full season
of Relic hunting and coin hunting and came to the conclusion that these models are designed just to cherry pick! I can walk behind a DFX and pick all the older coins and get as good and greater depths with the 8 inch coil vs the 10 inch coil.

Now I have a great friend that I hunt with for fur trade items and he also reports that the high priced whites cant produce
as well as his Fisher with the 8 inch coil , Now let me tell you that my bud hunts with no ear phones and no display and produces relics , coins and jewelry that would make you and me envy. my conclusion is that the 8 inch coil is by far the best universal coil and to pay no mind to the high end cherry pickers.

Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Muddyhandz said:
Digger said:
I'm sensing a little inter-hobby rivalry?

I do a fair amount of relic hunting when I have nothing better to do. To each their own, but I find relic hunting to be less of a challenge than coin-shooting, and a bit on the boring side. But hey, thats just me. It may have to do with location. I happen to live in an area that has a very lively past so finding relics takes little more than picking a field nearby. Heck some of my locations doesn't even require a metal detector as you can eyeball relics on top the ground. Not like that would take much of a detector to find.

Here is a picture of just some of the some 400+ musket and mini-balls showing I do relic hunt.

relics1.jpg

You use the term cherry picking as if its a bad thing. Actually I believe its more of an envy thing because cherry picking done right takes a lot of experience. I'm done with my days of digging it all, and I've got boxes and boxes of worthless garbage to show for it. My time has become much more valuable than when I was new to the hobby. First and foremost of importance for the cherry picker is the right detector. Beep & Dig don't cut the mustard here, and experience takes second place to a good detector. I understand that in many of the other areas of metal detecting experience take top spot of importance, but in cherry picking experience won't get you squat without a good detector. One thing to remember is that while any good well featured detector can do relic hunting, not any detector makes a good cherry picker. I feel its better to have a little more versatility than limiting myself to a dig-it-all for all hunting.

You often see people saying if you discriminate at all you're missing stuff. Yes I agree, you're missing the junk for the most part, and isn't that the job of discrimination? Personally I've found this to be BS. Sounds all cool to say "I'll walk behind you cherry pickers and pull out the good stuff." but that would only be the case of an inexperienced cherry picker or someone trying to cherry pick using a beep & dig machine. Oh ya I know, you have this amazing ability to tell the difference between a clad penny and wheat on your beep and dig no ID detector. BS. I know a lot of very experienced generic detectors users who will admit they can tell a good target from a bad most of the time, but thats about the limits of being able to identify a target.

I understand that relics hunters have much less need for a technically advanced detector since they pretty much dig anything that beeps, but that sure doesn't apply for most of the rest of us.

Experience will beat out any fancy machine. :thumbsup:
My first 10 years I was a coin hunter and that got boring seeing thousands of the same coins and to finally hit a key date was like watching grass grow. I EVOLVED into a relic hunter. Worthless garbage? If you only knew buddy. :laughing9:
You think that because you have a great machine, you'll only leave the junk behind and cherry pick the good stuff? Iffy signals are the key here and I have taken my old "piece of crap" detector to hunted out parks and BECAUSE I am a relic hunter, I dug up the valuable non coin objects and found coins with bottle caps and the deeper "junky" signals, do in fact turn out to be good. No matter how much you think you know, You will NEVER know what's completely buried underground.

Overall, I beg to differ on the cherry picking part as I can out cherry pick hunters (with new expensive machines) with my old Fisher backed with 23 years of heavy detecting experience, and I do it quite regularly. The last competition hunt I went to, I found the most tokens, (for prizes) the most planted silver, and I almost found ALL the $2 coins that were in the Twoonie hunt! I was the only one using a 20 year old machine.
All my friends usually look at me with a smirk when some guy comes up to us bragging about his new $1500 machine. When he goes home skunked we all have a good laugh! :laughing7:

We shouldn't be fighting over this but the message I want to put out there is that you don't need to buy an expensive machine and with some hard work, you will learn your tones and be able to do quite well. Often better than those who rely on their screens and have forked out lots of cash for all the bells and whistles. EXPERIENCE is the most important thing here.

P.S. If you want to get rid of all that worthless junk you have from the "easy" relic hunting you did, then you can send it here. I'll pay for the shipping. :D
Dave.

So are you saying there's absolutely nothing my Explorer can do better than your old detector? How about I'll start with one. :thumbsup:

My Explorer has more accurate target ID (sound) at its max depth. If you've never used one I guess there is not much point to this because you wouldn't know just how good it is. I used to be fooled so much by deep iron with my GTI, fooled or at least had to chase it just to be sure. The explorer on the other had will false on shallow iron but has the strange ability to cancel/null it out when it gets deep. Most other detectors (actually all) I've ever used very deep nails are high tone hits, not for my explorer. On the average hunt at my early sites I might chase a few larger iron hits on purpose, but don't dig any small iron, none at all. My disc. setting is fairly close to zero (-14 of a possible -16) and of course I'm like everyone else, things get missed, but I hunt fields. I think a better way to put it, is do you think you could see targets I wouldn't be able to? I think not, and in all the guests I've had here have never been shown a target I can''t see, but have done that back to them many times. It's always the same scenario, a target very masked in iron. I say there's a good target there, they can't see it, I cut the plug and sound gets better, then they hear it. Anyway, there's not much point in going on, but I can't quite understand how you discount modern detectors just because of features. That would only make sense if they packed the old guts into the new units and added the bells and whistles, which I don't think is true. Also, it seems with these new detectors you automatically associate the term cherry picking and imply just because someone has a new detector the first thing they do is get home and spend an hour putting some type of fancy coin pattern together. You'd probably be surprised just how similar my detector and detecting is to yours. I use high sens., how disc., and dig! If I get in an iron patch that I have punched pretty quiet then I'll start digging some part tones and see what happens. They are very low % signals, but I guarantee when I'm to that point no one with any detector is coming in and scooping some good hits without hunting the same way. I have a term for it, call it "ripping the place appart." So now that I hope i made the point that we might not be much different in how we dig, the difference I believe is how much small iron I can leave behind because of the technology. The explorer does everything else very well too but it's digging every hole for a non iron item that is the winning ticket for me.

Obviously this was bound to happen. I was trying to leave brand names out as to not offend but now I've bothered someone that I respect. I actually had two brand names in my head when I said cherry pickers and Mine lab was NOT one of them. I'm not going to reveal those two brand names here because I already have enough people that hate me on this forum. Whatever.
I have a cockiness towards cherry pickers after they claim to have cleaned out a site and I work it good and find all the stuff they left behind. You see, I am the left over king as everything in my city was hammered well before my time and I am a hard worker and do not praise those who waltz in looking for easy pickings. Sorry, but that's me and my attitude. When I see a guy working a park with a fancy machine, it only makes me want to work harder to prove to myself of what he didn't pick up. Other people get discouraged when someone beats them to a site. Not me. I know of my capabilities and feel confident with the old Fisher.
I'm someone who presses the mute button when commercials come on while watching T.V. Treasure hunting magazines and forums are filled with hype and advertising and I DO NOT buy into it! Whites is famous for taking the same machine and slapping a bigger coil on it and calling it a new name, boasting that it goes deep. There, now the Whites users will be mad at me.
I'm sick of this place! Whatever, I'll calm down. :-X
I could tell you that my old fisher does everything your explorer does and I have learned how not to get fooled on small iron and don't anymore. I could tell you that I have gotten many deep signals that expensive machines couldn't even get a whisper from. It doesn't matter because I do not want to get into anymore arguments on this forum! I see all kinds of people bragging about their DFX's, E-tracs, etc. I have never got offended and said "oh yeah, my old fisher is better". Everyone is going to brag about what their using, especially if they paid a lot for it!
To this day, I would never trade my Suzuki Swift in and buy a Cadillac. That little car has so many advantages than that over-rated gas gussler has. Lets keep it at that. :)
I'm sorry this happened. If it works for you, then that's all that matters.
I will NEVER talk about brands of detectors ever again on this forum and this is my last post regarding that subject. Since it is my last, then LONG LIVE THE FISHER 1266X! ;D
Happy hunting,
Dave.

Digger said:
Well , My BEEF is that Whites has built more expensive machines with larger coils and more bells and whistles that does not out preform the older models , yet the cost is way out there. Knob turning is less tedious then switching screens and analog seems
to be more accurate. I think the real key is HEARING whats in the ground then SEEING what a screen is telling you to dig.

I believe the key in your statement is "My BEEF" Just because YOU believe "Whites has built more expensive machines with larger coils and more bells and whistles that does not out preform the older models" doesn't make it a fact or true for others. Personally I've been a White's user for the last 22 years, and that does include having owned the 6000, and I honestly see no comparison at all between the older models and the new ones. I cleaned out our city park with the older White's detectors, to the best of ability of the detector, and the DFX was able to bring it back to life. Six years with the DFX in that park and it dried up again until I took the V3 which brought new life to the park.

I didn't have a good experience with the Minelab SE but I see that others do, so rather than blankly state its a piece of crap, I say it just wasn't for me but realize it just might be the ticket for someone else.

What has always kind of chapped my Willie is the apparent lack of consideration for the new detectorist when it comes to answering that famous question of "What should I buy?" It never fails that you see people saying "its all about experience and the detector doesn't matter." OK, for those of us who have been detecting for some time, we fully understand the concept. We may not agree with it, but we do understand where its coming from. Telling experienced hunters that its all about experience and not the detector will do noting to convince those who have already made up their minds whether they like been-N-digs or want something more. What it will do is probably ruin the experience of the beginner. Is that what you are really trying to accomplish?

Common sense 101: Someone new to detecting isn't going to understand or be able to take that $100 beep-n-dig detector and hope to accomplish what it took most of us many years to accomplish unless they plan to have an experienced beep-n-digger by their side in the learning process. Telling some newbie they don't need to have all those "bells & whistles" just because you don't is a bit inconsiderate. You could a least be honest and tell them that a visual display can lessen the learning curve, and in time you will learn to identify targets by tone and no longer need a display if you choose so.

Thanks to some inconsiderate posts right now I see a newbie comparing the ACE 250 to the DFX. His question is why would someone spend $1000 for a detector when a $200 one does the same thing. Its just sad. There should be no need to explain such an obvious fact. Yes, some people just have so much money they prefer to spend $1000 on a detector that does nothing more than a $200 detector. Its like a game for some where the name of the game is to convince as many newbies to use your detector of choice no matter what. I seen a few of the poor people who gave up and got out of the hobby because they took the advice and bought a beep-n-dig only to be discouraged because all they found was junk.

And isn't it amazing how the best detector for any job is the one each of us uses?

Are you a dealer or something? I think most of this post is a bunch of hogwash. I will not address all of it but I think your violin story about newbies is fictional. I have met SEVERAL people who bought the expensive computerized gizmo only to throw it in the closet because it was too difficult to use since they had NO detecting experience prior and should have started from the basic turn on and go and learn the tones. This case was so frequent that I actually taught metal detecting classes out here because of all the "closet detectorists" that existed. Many told me that the dealer in town talked them into buying a more expensive model than the one they originally chose and did not show them how to use it. I am starting to see your hidden agenda here. I think your post is inconsiderate!
Dave.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Iron Patch said:
Muddyhandz said:
Digger said:
I'm sensing a little inter-hobby rivalry?

I do a fair amount of relic hunting when I have nothing better to do. To each their own, but I find relic hunting to be less of a challenge than coin-shooting, and a bit on the boring side. But hey, thats just me. It may have to do with location. I happen to live in an area that has a very lively past so finding relics takes little more than picking a field nearby. Heck some of my locations doesn't even require a metal detector as you can eyeball relics on top the ground. Not like that would take much of a detector to find.

Here is a picture of just some of the some 400+ musket and mini-balls showing I do relic hunt.

relics1.jpg

You use the term cherry picking as if its a bad thing. Actually I believe its more of an envy thing because cherry picking done right takes a lot of experience. I'm done with my days of digging it all, and I've got boxes and boxes of worthless garbage to show for it. My time has become much more valuable than when I was new to the hobby. First and foremost of importance for the cherry picker is the right detector. Beep & Dig don't cut the mustard here, and experience takes second place to a good detector. I understand that in many of the other areas of metal detecting experience take top spot of importance, but in cherry picking experience won't get you squat without a good detector. One thing to remember is that while any good well featured detector can do relic hunting, not any detector makes a good cherry picker. I feel its better to have a little more versatility than limiting myself to a dig-it-all for all hunting.

You often see people saying if you discriminate at all you're missing stuff. Yes I agree, you're missing the junk for the most part, and isn't that the job of discrimination? Personally I've found this to be BS. Sounds all cool to say "I'll walk behind you cherry pickers and pull out the good stuff." but that would only be the case of an inexperienced cherry picker or someone trying to cherry pick using a beep & dig machine. Oh ya I know, you have this amazing ability to tell the difference between a clad penny and wheat on your beep and dig no ID detector. BS. I know a lot of very experienced generic detectors users who will admit they can tell a good target from a bad most of the time, but thats about the limits of being able to identify a target.

I understand that relics hunters have much less need for a technically advanced detector since they pretty much dig anything that beeps, but that sure doesn't apply for most of the rest of us.

Experience will beat out any fancy machine. :thumbsup:
My first 10 years I was a coin hunter and that got boring seeing thousands of the same coins and to finally hit a key date was like watching grass grow. I EVOLVED into a relic hunter. Worthless garbage? If you only knew buddy. :laughing9:
You think that because you have a great machine, you'll only leave the junk behind and cherry pick the good stuff? Iffy signals are the key here and I have taken my old "piece of crap" detector to hunted out parks and BECAUSE I am a relic hunter, I dug up the valuable non coin objects and found coins with bottle caps and the deeper "junky" signals, do in fact turn out to be good. No matter how much you think you know, You will NEVER know what's completely buried underground.

Overall, I beg to differ on the cherry picking part as I can out cherry pick hunters (with new expensive machines) with my old Fisher backed with 23 years of heavy detecting experience, and I do it quite regularly. The last competition hunt I went to, I found the most tokens, (for prizes) the most planted silver, and I almost found ALL the $2 coins that were in the Twoonie hunt! I was the only one using a 20 year old machine.
All my friends usually look at me with a smirk when some guy comes up to us bragging about his new $1500 machine. When he goes home skunked we all have a good laugh! :laughing7:

We shouldn't be fighting over this but the message I want to put out there is that you don't need to buy an expensive machine and with some hard work, you will learn your tones and be able to do quite well. Often better than those who rely on their screens and have forked out lots of cash for all the bells and whistles. EXPERIENCE is the most important thing here.

P.S. If you want to get rid of all that worthless junk you have from the "easy" relic hunting you did, then you can send it here. I'll pay for the shipping. :D
Dave.

So are you saying there's absolutely nothing my Explorer can do better than your old detector? How about I'll start with one. :thumbsup:

My Explorer has more accurate target ID (sound) at its max depth. If you've never used one I guess there is not much point to this because you wouldn't know just how good it is. I used to be fooled so much by deep iron with my GTI, fooled or at least had to chase it just to be sure. The explorer on the other had will false on shallow iron but has the strange ability to cancel/null it out when it gets deep. Most other detectors (actually all) I've ever used very deep nails are high tone hits, not for my explorer. On the average hunt at my early sites I might chase a few larger iron hits on purpose, but don't dig any small iron, none at all. My disc. setting is fairly close to zero (-14 of a possible -16) and of course I'm like everyone else, things get missed, but I hunt fields. I think a better way to put it, is do you think you could see targets I wouldn't be able to? I think not, and in all the guests I've had here have never been shown a target I can''t see, but have done that back to them many times. It's always the same scenario, a target very masked in iron. I say there's a good target there, they can't see it, I cut the plug and sound gets better, then they hear it. Anyway, there's not much point in going on, but I can't quite understand how you discount modern detectors just because of features. That would only make sense if they packed the old guts into the new units and added the bells and whistles, which I don't think is true. Also, it seems with these new detectors you automatically associate the term cherry picking and imply just because someone has a new detector the first thing they do is get home and spend an hour putting some type of fancy coin pattern together. You'd probably be surprised just how similar my detector and detecting is to yours. I use high sens., how disc., and dig! If I get in an iron patch that I have punched pretty quiet then I'll start digging some part tones and see what happens. They are very low % signals, but I guarantee when I'm to that point no one with any detector is coming in and scooping some good hits without hunting the same way. I have a term for it, call it "ripping the place appart." So now that I hope i made the point that we might not be much different in how we dig, the difference I believe is how much small iron I can leave behind because of the technology. The explorer does everything else very well too but it's digging every hole for a non iron item that is the winning ticket for me.

Obviously this was bound to happen. I was trying to leave brand names out as to not offend but now I've bothered someone that I respect. I actually had two brand names in my head when I said cherry pickers and Mine lab was NOT one of them. I'm not going to reveal those two brand names here because I already have enough people that hate me on this forum. Whatever.
I have a cockiness towards cherry pickers after they claim to have cleaned out a site and I work it good and find all the stuff they left behind. You see, I am the left over king as everything in my city was hammered well before my time and I am a hard worker and do not praise those who waltz in looking for easy pickings. Sorry, but that's me and my attitude. When I see a guy working a park with a fancy machine, it only makes me want to work harder to prove to myself of what he didn't pick up. Other people get discouraged when someone beats them to a site. Not me. I know of my capabilities and feel confident with the old Fisher.
I'm someone who presses the mute button when commercials come on while watching T.V. Treasure hunting magazines and forums are filled with hype and advertising and I DO NOT buy into it! Whites is famous for taking the same machine and slapping a bigger coil on it and calling it a new name, boasting that it goes deep. There, now the Whites users will be mad at me.
I'm sick of this place! Whatever, I'll calm down. :-X
I could tell you that my old fisher does everything your explorer does and I have learned how not to get fooled on small iron and don't anymore. I could tell you that I have gotten many deep signals that expensive machines couldn't even get a whisper from. It doesn't matter because I do not want to get into anymore arguments on this forum! I see all kinds of people bragging about their DFX's, E-tracs, etc. I have never got offended and said "oh yeah, my old fisher is better". Everyone is going to brag about what their using, especially if they paid a lot for it!
To this day, I would never trade my Suzuki Swift in and buy a Cadillac. That little car has so many advantages than that over-rated gas gussler has. Lets keep it at that. :)
I'm sorry this happened. If it works for you, then that's all that matters.
I will NEVER talk about brands of detectors ever again on this forum and this is my last post regarding that subject. Since it is my last, then LONG LIVE THE FISHER 1266X! ;D
Happy hunting,
Dave.

The last quote in the bunch is mine so I assume that was to me, and I can tell you I'm not bothered. I just disagree or am taking some of your points to literally, and I reply. It's definitely not a big deal and this thread could end with this post, or go on the next 6 months. I'm ok either way and I've learned a long time ago these debates have to be decided in person because detector to detector and signal vs signal is the only way. I'm always happy to compare signals with anyone and maybe even some day I'll lose. :wink:

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
WELL Its time to close this thread as I THINK that whites has changed the learning curve for the Newbies in our favour :

:icon_scratch: Yes I said our favour , I think that Muddyhandz and Ironpatch and I will have lots of nice older and Deeper

recoveries if this trend continues. I enjoyed U.K Brains Views in this matter and its always nice to here from our brothers from

the U.K. I think that what Muddyhands said is true " I was a Coin Hunter until I evolved into a Relic Hunter " ; I think a great

amount of Relic Hunters followed this path and inadvertently became Historians of their locality. Name me a Hobby that can do all

that . :icon_thumleft:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met SEVERAL people who bought the expensive computerized gizmo only to throw it in the closet because it was too difficult to use since they had NO detecting experience prior and should have started from the basic turn on and go and learn the tones.

Well I understand that there are people who have a tough time setting the clock on their DVD.. er I mean VCR, but I really fail to see how difficult it could be for anyone to hear a beep, look at the display and see dime. I mean give people a little more credit.

Here in the good old USofA we, at least for now, have the ability to have an opinion and give it. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but when I say "I think a detector with a VDI is easier" its just my opinion. It ain't about to change until I've seen different. Sorry, its an American thing I guess.

I also have seen my fair share of new users that have either given up or moved on to a full featured detector after finding nothing but junk with a basic detector. I've handed my DFX to a guy who had never detected a day in his life and all I told him was turn it on and do what it tells you. He did and found a hand full of clad in a very short time. My guess is it really depends on the person don't ya think? Not everyone is happy doing the beep-n-dig thing.

You may not care for cherry picking or cherry pickers, but a lot of people do just that. The amount of cherry picking they do may vary, but if you pick-n-choose your targets be it by display, sound or mental powers, you are cherry picking to some degree. The only people not guilty of cherry picking would be those who dig everything. Beach hunters come to mind. With that being said, depending on the extent of your cherry picking will determine which detector suits you best. Full featured detectors make better cherry pickers in my opinion. <- NOTE another one of those American things.

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
WE ALL KNOW ABOUT THE F.F FORUM DIGGER , NO NEED TO BRING IN "AMERICAN THING" INTO THE STEW POT.

ARE YOU NOW TRYING TO START A CROSS BORDER WAR OF WORDS ????

Iron Patch said:
The last quote in the bunch is mine so I assume that was to me, and I can tell you I'm not bothered. I just disagree or am taking some of your points to literally, and I reply. It's definitely not a big deal and this thread could end with this post, or go on the next 6 months. I'm ok either way and I've learned a long time ago these debates have to be decided in person because detector to detector and signal vs signal is the only way. I'm always happy to compare signals with anyone and maybe even some day I'll lose. :wink:

You are right. The field is the place for this kind of talk! It is difficult with limited words on a forum to know what a person is truly saying and my words taken literally could give someone the idea that strays from my true intention. Which is the focus on the individual, not the brand, model, and price. Some of the older machines are a bargain for the price and performance. People would truly know where I stand based on all my previous posts on the subject.
The bottom line is I would hunt along side any model or brand and have no problem what anyone wants to use.
If I ever get a chance to hunt with you, maybe I will become a believer in that fancy modern stuff. :dontknow:
Then I again, I might dazzle you with this old beast! :wink:
Dave.

Digger said:
I have met SEVERAL people who bought the expensive computerized gizmo only to throw it in the closet because it was too difficult to use since they had NO detecting experience prior and should have started from the basic turn on and go and learn the tones.

Well I understand that there are people who have a tough time setting the clock on their DVD.. er I mean VCR, but I really fail to see how difficult it could be for anyone to hear a beep, look at the display and see dime. I mean give people a little more credit.

Here in the good old USofA we, at least for now, have the ability to have an opinion and give it. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but when I say "I think a detector with a VDI is easier" its just my opinion. It ain't about to change until I've seen different. Sorry, its an American thing I guess.

I also have seen my fair share of new users that have either given up or moved on to a full featured detector after finding nothing but junk with a basic detector. I've handed my DFX to a guy who had never detected a day in his life and all I told him was turn it on and do what it tells you. He did and found a hand full of clad in a very short time. My guess is it really depends on the person don't ya think? Not everyone is happy doing the beep-n-dig thing.

You may not care for cherry picking or cherry pickers, but a lot of people do just that. The amount of cherry picking they do may vary, but if you pick-n-choose your targets be it by display, sound or mental powers, you are cherry picking to some degree. The only people not guilty of cherry picking would be those who dig everything. Beach hunters come to mind. With that being said, depending on the extent of your cherry picking will determine which detector suits you best. Full featured detectors make better cherry pickers in my opinion. <- NOTE another one of those American things.

Hey man, when I was a coin hunter for 15 years, I did all kinds of cherry picking. Hardly dug much junk at all actually. If a person reads the manual and puts it on a comfortable discrimination, they shouldn't find a lot of junk. It's not that hard to figure out on a turn on and go machine.
Now that I'm a different kind of hunter, I actually want to find certain iron objects and have seen some fancy models actually reject iron on all-metal! I like a machine that can pick up every fragment of metal. The one I still use does that, it goes deep, and is really sensitive. Its a workhorse, just like it's owner. I can say no more. :thumbsup:
Best of luck,
Dave.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARE YOU NOW TRYING TO START A CROSS BORDER WAR OF WORDS

I started no war to begin with. I was simply trying to make the point that I have a right to my opinion contrary to what some seem to believe. And that perhaps our difference in opinion stems from where we live?

I used the White's Eagle Spectrum for 18 years and it rocked when it came to depth. In fact I'd say for raw depth few detectors made today that will go deeper. When I bought the DFX I was a little disappointed that it really didn't seem any deeper than my Eagle, but I couldn't argue with the fact it was pulling coins from the very sites my Eagle had stopped on. Even then I still made the claim this old detector can compete with anything made today. Based on my advise a friend bought a Eagle Spectrum and of course got nowhere near the performance I did. Hum, seems it was more my 18 years with the Eagle than the Eagle itself. I think this is the case with many old favorites.

Before my Eagle it was my ADS 7, before that my Freedom, before that my Tesoro Mayan. Each time I felt my last detector was just as good or better than my new one. Common sense told me that it doesn't work that way and that IF I had the same experience with the new fangled detector I had with my old faithful, it would perform as expected. And it did. I honestly believe that for most, it is your experience with the older detector that makes you feel it is just as good as todays detectors, and you're right. Problem is even though it is your honest opinion when you recommend that old machine to a newbie, you're not taking into account all the years experience it took BEFORE that detector performed so well.

It took a new detector that was so much better than my old faithful I couldn't help but see it was better. The problem is putting many years in with the same detector makes one very very good with that detector. It takes one very very good detector for one to use it and see an advantage right off the bat without hours and hours of using it. Most advancements in detector technology is in small steps so finding that just plain can't be ignored new detector that is just so much better than your old faithful you have many years with is next to impossible. Thank god its only next to impossible, because it was just such a detector that broke me of the old faithful is better routine.

It was the White's Eagle Spectrum. My hunting buddies had bought the latest greatest detector and I chuckled to myself as I continued to out hunt them time after time. Of course my thinking was my old machine was just better than those new fangled machine they paid a small fortune for, when in fact it was my many years experience with that detector and their lack of experience with their new machines that was the case. Over time I started to notice my buddies were starting to catch up to me on our hunts. They were beginning to learn their machines, and now the better technology was beginning to catch up to my experience. It took me awhile to realize what was happening but I decided I had better upgrade my old faithful or I was going to start loosing in the field to these relatively newbies and their new machines. After much research I bought a White's Eagle Spectrum because it was the newest state of the art technology in detectors. A digital detector.

As was customary, my buddies and I took the new machine to our local city park for its first test. A 125 year old park that had never yielded anything other than a few wheats and clad over the many years of hunting it with every new detector we got. We didn't expect anything new, but the park always had clad that could be used to learn the responses from a new detector. First step and swing into our test area and the new machine tells me a dime at 6 1/2". As normal I have my buddies test the signal and the Toltec 100 says nothing there as does the Grand Master Hunter, but again my Eagle tells me dig so I did. Out pops 3 silver dimes(2 mercs and 1 barber) 3 wheats and 1 silver war nickle. We were like WTF? how could we have missed this little cherry hole all these years?

Next step had the same results as did the next and the next. I couldn't walk 2' without hitting pockets of coins as if no one had ever detected below 6". And pretty much that was the case. For the next 4-5 years I pulled over 2000 old coins from just around the band shell a place we had hunted for years. It was this detector that opened my eyes to advantages of new technology. As I put in the years with the Eagle it even got better. I knew the Eagle was going to be a tough one for any new detector to beat, but by lessons learned and patients, I now see new technology prove itself all the time for those willing to take the time and effort, and open mind, to give technology the chance to prove itself.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question , Do you use a Probe to aid you in your recoveries ??

No I don't, but I am seriously considering it after using the E-Trac.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you have the money go ahead and buy...

I started no war to begin with. I was simply trying to make the point that I have a right to my opinion contrary to what some seem to believe. And that perhaps our difference in opinion stems from where we live?

I used the White's Eagle Spectrum for 18 years and it rocked when it came to depth. In fact I'd say for raw depth few detectors made today that will go deeper. When I bought the DFX I was a little disappointed that it really didn't seem any deeper than my Eagle, but I couldn't argue with the fact it was pulling coins from the very sites my Eagle had stopped on. Even then I still made the claim this old detector can compete with anything made today. Based on my advise a friend bought a Eagle Spectrum and of course got nowhere near the performance I did. Hum, seems it was more my 18 years with the Eagle than the Eagle itself. I think this is the case with many old favorites.

Before my Eagle it was my ADS 7, before that my Freedom, before that my Tesoro Mayan. Each time I felt my last detector was just as good or better than my new one. Common sense told me that it doesn't work that way and that IF I had the same experience with the new fangled detector I had with my old faithful, it would perform as expected. And it did. I honestly believe that for most, it is your experience with the older detector that makes you feel it is just as good as todays detectors, and you're right. Problem is even though it is your honest opinion when you recommend that old machine to a newbie, you're not taking into account all the years experience it took BEFORE that detector performed so well.

It took a new detector that was so much better than my old faithful I couldn't help but see it was better. The problem is putting many years in with the same detector makes one very very good with that detector. It takes one very very good detector for one to use it and see an advantage right off the bat without hours and hours of using it. Most advancements in detector technology is in small steps so finding that just plain can't be ignored new detector that is just so much better than your old faithful you have many years with is next to impossible. Thank god its only next to impossible, because it was just such a detector that broke me of the old faithful is better routine.

It was the White's Eagle Spectrum. My hunting buddies had bought the latest greatest detector and I chuckled to myself as I continued to out hunt them time after time. Of course my thinking was my old machine was just better than those new fangled machine they paid a small fortune for, when in fact it was my many years experience with that detector and their lack of experience with their new machines that was the case. Over time I started to notice my buddies were starting to catch up to me on our hunts. They were beginning to learn their machines, and now the better technology was beginning to catch up to my experience. It took me awhile to realize what was happening but I decided I had better upgrade my old faithful or I was going to start loosing in the field to these relatively newbies and their new machines. After much research I bought a White's Eagle Spectrum because it was the newest state of the art technology in detectors. A digital detector.

As was customary, my buddies and I took the new machine to our local city park for its first test. A 125 year old park that had never yielded anything other than a few wheats and clad over the many years of hunting it with every new detector we got. We didn't expect anything new, but the park always had clad that could be used to learn the responses from a new detector. First step and swing into our test area and the new machine tells me a dime at 6 1/2". As normal I have my buddies test the signal and the Toltec 100 says nothing there as does the Grand Master Hunter, but again my Eagle tells me dig so I did. Out pops 3 silver dimes(2 mercs and 1 barber) 3 wheats and 1 silver war nickle. We were like WTF? how could we have missed this little cherry hole all these years?

Next step had the same results as did the next and the next. I couldn't walk 2' without hitting pockets of coins as if no one had ever detected below 6". And pretty much that was the case. For the next 4-5 years I pulled over 2000 old coins from just around the band shell a place we had hunted for years. It was this detector that opened my eyes to advantages of new technology. As I put in the years with the Eagle it even got better. I knew the Eagle was going to be a tough one for any new detector to beat, but by lessons learned and patients, I now see new technology prove itself all the time for those willing to take the time and effort, and open mind, to give technology the chance to prove itself.

Digger I understand where you are coming from on this and if you want to spend more money on a "more advanced" detector that's great. However, I believe that some of these companies are taking you and others for an expensive ride. They will add other features that will have you spending even more money. However that's just my opinion. Its a shame because the newer the detectors coming out, just seem to get more expensive then sometimes end up breaking..Oh well, Im just cheap, but I realize this hobby is more about luck and timing vs. having the most expensive/advanced detector out there.

Larry

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started no war to begin with. I was simply trying to make the point that I have a right to my opinion contrary to what some seem to believe. And that perhaps our difference in opinion stems from where we live?......

I think you're just a non-conformist... Living in Dodge City and driving a FORD, says it all.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions