Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
HI THERE, I hunt with a old 6000 srs 3 coinmaster with a 8 inch coil with good results. The past couple of years i have noticed that whites have went to the 10 inch coil and a so called high end circuitry . Back east I hunted mainly for Silver Coins and relics and never seen any other coin/relic hunters ; my average depth was 5 to 8 inches with the odd silver at 10 inches plus.

Big Iron I have pulled out at 14inches plus . Now that I moved out west here and had the oppertunity to hunt areas that I know that have bin picked over , yet I still walked away with good pickings and wonder how these were missed by other hunters that have the high end machines. Now I bought one of these Spectrum's with the 10 inch coil and gave it a full season
of Relic hunting and coin hunting and came to the conclusion that these models are designed just to cherry pick! I can walk behind a DFX and pick all the older coins and get as good and greater depths with the 8 inch coil vs the 10 inch coil.

Now I have a great friend that I hunt with for fur trade items and he also reports that the high priced whites cant produce
as well as his Fisher with the 8 inch coil , Now let me tell you that my bud hunts with no ear phones and no display and produces relics , coins and jewelry that would make you and me envy. my conclusion is that the 8 inch coil is by far the best universal coil and to pay no mind to the high end cherry pickers.

Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that the newer machines are mainly for touch and go with preset modes and this can result in cherry picking. It is interesting to see those paying much more for a learning curve and think that it is easier to use. I know if a person is to get serious with relic hunting that it requires the newer machines to be adjusted just like the old knob machines to get the most out of it. The old 6000 detector is one of the best that Whites made. I do like the weight of the newer machines and the battery packs, versus the older series.

I also use a 8 inch coil as it seems to be more balanced for multi purpose hunting and doesn't result into iron masking as much as the bigger coils would and will bring great depth.

I think the power of advertisement makes one think that the older machines are just not up to power and one needs the extra buttons to make it happen. With any good hunt, the experience with any machine and the research put into the site itself is what makes the day.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
NOVA T , I am glad that you agree :icon_thumleft: and yes I wish the 6000 srs 3 had only the weight of the new ones out there.

I rigged up a harness and it solved the sore arm syndrome . It would be nice to see Whites make a model like the 6000 srs 3

with todays technology and No key pads or digital desplays. Just knobs and analog. YET LIGHT WEIGHT :icon_thumleft:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Britain the stock coil of the Whites Spectrum/XLT's etc which is 9.5 inches was always called "the air test coil" as it was intended to impress in a in-air demonstrations. Directly you went out into the real world you needed the 8". Similar depth. Better in bad ground. Doesn't target mask like the stock coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
In Britain the stock coil of the Whites Spectrum/XLT's etc which is 9.5 inches was always called "the air test coil" as it was intended to impress in a in-air demonstrations. Directly you went out into the real world you needed the 8". Similar depth. Better in bad ground. Doesn't target mask like the stock coil.
When the dealer demonstrates the Whites detectors in the store it can respond well to coins at good distances. Customers think they need two foot depths to find the OLD STUFF. Customers thought they wanted to know what is in the ground before they retrieve it so the manufactures gave it to them. With these fancy detectors the newbies could wave the coil around while racing through the parks and only find the shallow clad and they were happy campers. Us older dudes listen for the sounds, move slowly forward and over lap the sweeps so not to miss any ground at depth. But this is boring to the younger dudes. I too would like the lighter weight of great depth detectors and Tesoro about fits the bill with real knobs, depth, and light weight.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't doubt your 8" coil will average 8" with the occasional 10 on silver, that is the typical results, however the 10" coil should also average 10" with the occasional 12" on silver when set and run as should be.

I would suggest it was a matter of being very good with your old coinmaster, and not as good with a new model.

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree , we just need a detector that has all the knobs back and comes eather with or with out analog and the option of 8 or 10 inch coils. I think my next detector will be a Nautilus

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010
Sandman said:
U.K. Brian said:
When the dealer demonstrates the Whites detectors in the store it can respond well to coins at good distances. Customers think they need two foot depths to find the OLD STUFF. Customers thought they wanted to know what is in the ground before they retrieve it so the manufactures gave it to them. With these fancy detectors the newbies could wave the coil around while racing through the parks and only find the shallow clad and they were happy campers. Us older dudes listen for the sounds, move slowly forward and over lap the sweeps so not to miss any ground at depth. But this is boring to the younger dudes. I too would like the lighter weight of great depth detectors and Tesoro about fits the bill with real knobs, depth, and light weight.

Good post.
--Snowy

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of the old timers are stuck in their own world when it comes to the obvious of technology.

I remember how it took years of experience before one could expect to reach 6" depth even with the best machines. Today even the entry level detectors in the hands of a newbie can achieve that.

I remember how it took years of experience before on could remotely guess at what target they had under their coil. Today even the entry level detectors in the hands of a newbie can with fair accuracy tell what a target is.

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger said:
I think a lot of the old timers are stuck in their own world when it comes to the obvious of technology.

I remember how it took years of experience before one could expect to reach 6" depth even with the best machines. Today even the entry level detectors in the hands of a newbie can achieve that.

I remember how it took years of experience before on could remotely guess at what target they had under their coil. Today even the entry level detectors in the hands of a newbie can with fair accuracy tell what a target is.

BULL CRAPP !! I could out detect a DFX any day or a bell and whistle machine, BRING IT ON ! YOU'VE BIN SERVED :laughing7:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do well with my old 55oo coinmaster, I find all kinds of things with it. I would like to get a newer machine so I can run a larger coil on the beach...

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BULL CRAPP !! I could out detect a DFX any day or a bell and whistle machine, BRING IT ON ! YOU'VE BIN SERVED

All you've served is the salad. No meat!

Put aside all this macho I can plow more ground with a hoe than you can with a tractor BS, and use just a little bit of common sense. Yes those old detectors were great in the days when most goodies were no more than 4" deep, but nostalgia doesn't cut it any more. Advancements in coil design alone has vastly improved performance on modern detectors over the dinosaurs. The DD coil has pulled many a coin, thanks to better separation, that were missed by the old coils. Most of the old detectors didn't have much, if any, in the way of coil choice.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger said:
BULL CRAPP !! I could out detect a DFX any day or a bell and whistle machine, BRING IT ON ! YOU'VE BIN SERVED

All you've served a the salad. No meat!

Put aside all this macho I can plow more ground with a hoe than you can with a tractor BS, and use just a little bit of common sense. Yes those old detectors were great in the days when most goodies were no more than 4" deep, but nostalgia doesn't cut it any more. Advancements in coil design alone has vastly improved performance on modern detectors over the dinosaurs. The DD coil has pulled many a coin, thanks to better separation, that were missed by the old coils. Most of the old detectors didn't have much, if any, in the way of coil choice.

Depending on what you call a "old" Machine. If you go back to machines that are 20yrs and some older than, they are still capable of competing with anything out there today.

Nova Treasure

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Back in the late 80's early 90's filtering technology made a giant leap in detectors ability to filter the incoming signal. Not only did it vastly improve the ability to more accurately filter bad frequencies, but to boost good frequencies.

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010
Old or new? This has been debated on the treasure forums since they started. I'm old (61) and date back to the early homemade BFO units of the 50's. I've used most brands many of which are no longer with us. Today I know the Minelab Explorers (haven't bought the E-Trac yet) and Fisher F-70 (I also ordered the F-75 DD coil).

I'm not one to favor the machines of the pre-1980's era but since about the late 80's to this date I personally see little difference in actual depth and target separation. Granted, the coils have improved and today we do have a greater assortment of shapes and sizes. Some of these optional coils are an advantage but most are pretty much what's been out there since the 90's.

While I do use the latest machines I still do better with SOME older machines. I have my own personal thoughts of why this is so. First I grew up learning sounds from mono tone machines. I can tell more about a target in all-metal mode than some can tell with TID. Even today I sometimes hunt in all-metal mode and in fact several of my best recent finds were dug this way.

Another reason I do better with certain older machines is some were far more stable than some of today's hot detectors. What is happening is the industry has reached the limits of VLF as far as practical hobby machines go. So, to keep selling they're increasing the receive amplification to the point of instability. Many of our latest and super deep machines are so hyper one must either turn the sensitivity way down or dig a lot of empty holes due to extreme falsing. These machines air and ground test awesome but in actual hunting situations they leave much to be desired. And too most are so cheaply made they will not hold up like the old machines did. And when their warrenties run out beware of the repair costs.

One man who deeply influenced me is Gary of Gary's detectors U.K. Gary not only sells detectors he's also well known for his mega great finds. Even though he can have the latest technology Gary still uses an old Tesoro Silver Sabre. You can read about this on his website:
http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/sabre.htm

The sum: The new machines are fun toys and some deliver at very impressive depths (at least in the controlled test garden) but generally speaking the machines of the late 80's to 90's were the best for our hobby purposes. They were a bit heavy but those fresh dug Bust coins made them seem light.

--Snowy

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
OK DIGGER, This season we will see who posts more finds and of cource we will have to post the trash we dig , hope my out

dated 6000 can keep up with your SEE ALL/I.D ALL Machine ; I hope it not one of those Garrett's that Talk or I will loose for

sure !! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
cavador del oro said:
Old or new? This has been debated on the treasure forums since they started. I'm old (61) and date back to the early homemade BFO units of the 50's. I've used most brands many of which are no longer with us. Today I know the Minelab Explorers (haven't bought the E-Trac yet) and Fisher F-70 (I also ordered the F-75 DD coil).

I'm not one to favor the machines of the pre-1980's era but since about the late 80's to this date I personally see little difference in actual depth and target separation. Granted, the coils have improved and today we do have a greater assortment of shapes and sizes. Some of these optional coils are an advantage but most are pretty much what's been out there since the 90's.

While I do use the latest machines I still do better with SOME older machines. I have my own personal thoughts of why this is so. First I grew up learning sounds from mono tone machines. I can tell more about a target in all-metal mode than some can tell with TID. Even today I sometimes hunt in all-metal mode and in fact several of my best recent finds were dug this way.

Another reason I do better with certain older machines is some were far more stable than some of today's hot detectors. What is happening is the industry has reached the limits of VLF as far as practical hobby machines go. So, to keep selling they're increasing the receive amplification to the point of instability. Many of our latest and super deep machines are so hyper one must either turn the sensitivity way down or dig a lot of empty holes due to extreme falsing. These machines air and ground test awesome but in actual hunting situations they leave much to be desired. And too most are so cheaply made they will not hold up like the old machines did. And when their warrenties run out beware of the repair costs.

One man who deeply influenced me is Gary of Gary's detectors U.K. Gary not only sells detectors he's also well known for his mega great finds. Even though he can have the latest technology Gary still uses an old Tesoro Silver Sabre. You can read about this on his website.

The sum: The new machines are fun toys and some deliver at very impressive depths (at least in the controlled test garden) but generally speaking the machines of the late 80's to 90's were the best for our hobby purposes. They were a bit heavy but those fresh dug Bust coins made them seem light.

SPOT ON :icon_thumleft:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new machines are fun toys and some deliver at very impressive depths (at least in the controlled test garden) but generally speaking the machines of the late 80's to 90's were the best for our hobby purposes.

Spoken like a person who believes the older muscle cars were the best performers. Isn't nostalgia great! Fact is todays muscle cars are producing up to 4 times the horse power, much higher torque(power to the ground) thanks to better technology, and better handling to boot.

This season we will see who posts more finds and of cource we will have to post the trash we dig

Hardy that would prove nothing, but I will pass a challenge to ANY of you who think you can backup your claim. I will pay gas/fair for anyone who is willing to come to Dodge City and hunt our city park side by side. The reason this park is a great place for such a challenge is the floods have buried the coins as much as 24" deep. I know the coins are there, and if you can recover coins is based completely on how deep your detector can go. Over the years I've gotten deeper with each more technically advanced detector. My old 80's detector barely scratched the surface of what even my cheaper detectors of today can get.

Come and hunt this site side by side me and the E-Trac. If you fail to pull more old coins than I, then you pay your own travel expenses.

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010
author=Digger

Spoken like a person who believes the older muscle cars were the best performers. Isn't nostalgia great! Fact is todays muscle cars are producing up to 4 times the horse power, much higher torque(power to the ground) thanks to better technology, and better handling to boot.

Sorry but I don't get the connection between "muscle cars" and metal detectors.

Usually more advanced technology is better and when we see it in today's detectors we'll acknowledge it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread