Hunting the old school yard

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Hi Everyone, I have been hunting this old school yard for a few years now. This place is HUGE, I've done alot of research of the area and its old. Over the past 4 or 5 years I have only pulled 1 1917 merc, 1942 jefferson, 1937,1956 wheats, and around 100 bucks in clad and all the associated trash. I have been all over this place, but there is no way I have covered it all, its just too big. I have pounded this place time and time again, but I'm starting to get frustrated with this place. Everytime I go there, I leave with at least one clad coin, but I just have this feeling that there is more there. The Merc I pulled a few years ago COULD NOT have been the last silver at the site!!! or could it??? I have taken a few hunting buddies there a couple of times and I'm sure others have been there in the past. I went yesterday for a little while, 35 degrees, a stiff breeze and overcast. I use a Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, I put the discrimination down low and I went SUPER SLOW, listening for every tick crack and pop it made. All I had at the end of the hunt was a 1961 penny and 2 .22 casings. I would have stayed longer, but the weather was killing me!!! So, what do you guys and gals think: Keep pounding it or move on to better places??? So, whats the deal with this place, it CANT be hunted out. If anyone is in the north Georgia area and wants a challenge, drop me a line. THanks Everyone, HH!!!!!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to imagine these places having all that silver still in the ground but it's there. Remember silver is easy to find as it is more conductive than most other coins. When you sweep you must over lap each swing by 50% at least as the field at the bottom of the coil is only about 2" round unless it is a DD coil and with a Tesoro you have a concentric coil, so you have the 2" field at the bottom.

Try to imagine where the kids hung out on the property, but remember we where everywhere there was ground to stand on while getting that wedgie. :laughing7:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it up...
It sounds like a hard hit, well hunted old school yard...
When machines first came out, everyone went to the sites they knew would produce good targets.
Although I agree with the statement that "It is never hunted out"
I also believe that it can be hunted to the point where its not worth hunting any more...
I would save this as a backup for pocket change and new rings and such and hunt it once in a while just because its
there... But I would not expect anything else of great interest there....
Then one day when you least expect it... you will get what you think is modern pocket change at 3-4 inches and out will
pop a Mercury Dime...
Good luck..
Richard

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010
I'm in the same boat. I have an old church site that has been my favorite and has produced well in years past but the last few years the finds have been slim. I have covered almost every square inch with Minelabs, Fishers, Nautilus, and several Tesoros including the Tejon.

In one part where I made many of my best finds there is a large garden/flower bed area. I dug that entire area up and even used a dirt sifter and never found another single good thing.

You're using one of the best machines made so the problem isn't the detector. We just have to face up to it, some sites have little to find in the first place and some have been hunted so hard they're no longer worth the time spent there.

I know, we always hear "no site is ever hunted out." While that may be true, why waste so much time trying to find that one more wheat cent or whatever when much more productive sites are falling every day to land development?

Just my thoughts.
--Snowy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread