any technique to detect in tall grass??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is real hard to detect in high grass and weeds, you will get constant false signals from hitting the weeds and grass. Hardy is correct..... :icon_thumright:

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Mow or weed eat, maybe wait for a hard freeze, snow will flatten the grass.(shouldn't be a problem this year). If that's not possible use a small coil, try to find one with out spokes or holes that hang up on the grass. I use my 5.75 on a vaquero in heavy brush.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read before about guys bringing in old carpets, they lay them down over the grass and its like a mowed lawn. This would be another tool to think about, especially in areas that you cant bring a mower into.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Try steping on it while walking backwards keeping the coil close to your foot
you just want to kind of slide your foot a long. Not the best way to detect but
can be done, also try just pushing the coil down spot to spot instead of trying to
swing it as normal. Tall grass is a pain and there is no easy way to work in it.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with Hardy mow it. When I have a good old spot I take my DR Trimmer with me....Matt

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Occasionly when I encounter it I just set on full disc. and run through it pushing it down with the coil. I find some larger items like watches and also coins on the ground surface. Plan is that if I can air test at ten or so inches I can get close enough to locate coins like this. Also if the wife would find out I was weedeating or mowing out there when I was neglecting the same at home...big owie.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Something I've used before is an old clear plastic carpet protector for an office chair or a square sheet of wood paneling. Drill two holes in one edge of it. Use 6 - 8 feet of rope through the holes and knot the ends as a handle.

Put the rope handle side up.
Push it to the ground with your foot.
Allows you to detect a 3' square at a time.
Lift it up, go 3' forward and repeat.

Slow going but can be worth doing if it is a good site.

Jeff

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the "Backwards Purple Shirt Lady " style . ;D

OP
OP
stasys

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
you are right Hemisteve! I forgot about it! SHORTEST WAY TO SUCCESS---IS LADY PURPLE STYLE!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Spewed my coffee laughing about 'purple shirt lady style'!! I use the same method mentioned above with the plywood and rope. I drilled some holes in the ply with a hole saw so I could stick flags in the ground (hopefully) near any targets. Mainly it's because I'm not patient enough to first tamp down all the grass and THEN detect!

On the mowing thing-you may gain points with landowners if you spiff the place up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread