Important Announcement Regarding The Sale of Metal Detectors on eBay.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a happy camper right now. I just sold a metal detector and was told that there is now a 21 day hold on funds for these types of detectors on eBay due to their new "buyer protection" policy.

If the buyer leaves positive feedback or three days after delivery confirmation the, funds will be released if there are no disputes. I think this is great from a buyers point of view, but this leaves a window of opportunity for certain people. When you are dealing with a sophisticated instrument, it is easy for a person who has never used a metal detector to claim that it is not working properly.

I still think Pay Pal is the safest way to deal, but I will look at other alternatives.

Upvote 0

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I just sold my T2 on ebay for $1625. I did not start it out that high it went that high. Some went even higher. Is it my fault someone paid that much? When you sell your car, are you going to trade in to a dealer or sell it outright KNOWING you will get more money for it if you sell it outright?

I did get a little blurb about my shipping charges because I said $30 dollars for shipping. The blurb said something about it being higher than others were. Well let me tell you, I shipped fully insured and signature requested. The total cost for shipping was $32.75. I absorbed the extra. I also said in my add that if the shipping was less, I would refund the extra.

Also, the same person that bought mine, bought a friend of mines as well. The thing is, that person may have bought them here for $1600 but can turn around and sell them in Africa or where ever that gold rush is for $2200. Is he wrong for doing that? It is all supply and demand. If people are willing to pay for it, they will.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
my congratulation to all who sold their tecnetics for very high price. but sadly with markets and prices is not so simple. example recent economic world wide slow down. I wish you all best prices.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
lafatlife said:
I just sold my T2 on ebay for $1625. I did not start it out that high it went that high. Some went even higher. Is it my fault someone paid that much? When you sell your car, are you going to trade in to a dealer or sell it outright KNOWING you will get more money for it if you sell it outright?

I did get a little blurb about my shipping charges because I said $30 dollars for shipping. The blurb said something about it being higher than others were. Well let me tell you, I shipped fully insured and signature requested. The total cost for shipping was $32.75. I absorbed the extra. I also said in my add that if the shipping was less, I would refund the extra.

Also, the same person that bought mine, bought a friend of mines as well. The thing is, that person may have bought them here for $1600 but can turn around and sell them in Africa or where ever that gold rush is for $2200. Is he wrong for doing that? It is all supply and demand. If people are willing to pay for it, they will.

Well said!!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold my T2 on ebay for $1625.

OK I'm at a loss here. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $1625 for a detector you can buy new for $999 all day long? What am I missing?

andrew96

Feb 7, 2010
snake35 said:
I no longer trade on E-bay. The fees and negative stance toward sellers made it unenjoyable. It was fun while it lasted.

Agreed, they are driving themselves into the ground.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
andrew96 said:
snake35 said:
I no longer trade on E-bay. The fees and negative stance toward sellers made it unenjoyable. It was fun while it lasted.

Agreed, they are driving themselves into the ground.

Except you're forgetting one thing. The people who can easily walk away aren't the ones creating the most revenue. The people that are just have to adapt to deal with it and sell on. Even for the ones who don't sell a lot there's is no alternative that gives you the prices and is as easy.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:

OK I'm at a loss here. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $1625 for a detector you can buy new for $999 all day long? What am I missing?

This is the same process that had the Japanese bidding up restored and customize cars back in the late 1970s. THEY are the reason that a 1957 Chevy went from $10,000 to $45,000 in one jump. There were Japanese guys coming to the big Barrett's auto auctions with more money than brains, bidding the prices up because they wanted those '57 Chevies, 1950 custom Mercs, the early Corvettes, etc. I remember an article in one of the car mags (maybe Car Craft) entitled "What Does a $45,000 1957 Chevy Look Like?"

The short answer is still, more money than brains...............or they're able to resell the detectors overseas at certain areas like someone already pointed out at a BIG profit.

Well, anything you can name is worth only what someone will actually PAY for it.

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live a bunch of us use T2's and when we heard the prices they were going for we were ready to sell. Me and a friend purchased ours about 2 years ago used. I paid $400 he paid $450. We started them at what we paid for them then. I got $1,800 and he got $1,450. Well to make a long story short 6 of us sold and the lowest price was the $1,450 and the most was $2,150. Also something funny that we noticed was that every single one that was sold was bid on by the same 5 or 6 people. And all the names were either Muhamed or Ahkmed or something similar. All were middle eastern names. Now I am not saying anything negative about people that are middle eastern but it just seemed fishy. And as far as a "gold rush", I can't find any info on such. There is something fishy it seems but we sold our machines, got paid, and all were left with good feedback so.... Good luck to everyone out there selling and buying. And I don't know if this helps but if I were any of you and had a T2, bye bye T2. Even though they are very good machines in my own opinion, I can get another when they start selling them again (maybe 2).

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember,

Minelab Detectors are made in Australia, but Australians pay THOUSANDS more for their detectors than we do in the US, so if some Ozzie buys a GPX4500 for $6000, he might have saved a couple thousand over buying on in Oz, even though it looks stupid to us.

I have a friend that sells high end bedding on Ebay. She gets certain name brands from Ross and triples her money. I thought it was stupid until I realized that folks in Iowa might not have the same access to name brands as I do in Southern California.

Best-Mike

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger said:

Listen.

I am observing insanity right now on what Gold machines are selling for.
If you have a Gold machine folks and you would like to make crazy profit...Mad profit,
Put it on ebay. There are a couple of "gold rushes" going on right now. Africa and in Mex.
The gold nuggets being dug in Africa are "KILO" sized, OK?
We sell Gold detectors. There is such a long waiting list for ANY decent gold detector. CRAZY long. like up to 4 month's.
I can't tell you what my cost is on the Minelab gpx4500 but, I can tell you The sap is 4,495.00
Here is one on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Minelab-GPX-4...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20aecba9a7

HUH? WHAT? 8,000.00? What????
can you imagine what they are selling for out of the country?

The reason The t2 is selling for mad lute is parts.
OK?
The chinese are trying to buy parts to build knockoffs for profit. Try to buy a certain coils from certain dealers or any parts off any gold machine.....Ha

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have been buying and selling on eBay for many years. Yes, they have raised their fees. So, I simply factor that in my pricing. Problem solved. Where else are you going to reach a worldwide market? I can't believe some of the obscure things I have sold on eBay that would never move on Craigslist or in a local yard sale.

BTW, I have yet to have to deal with the "money holding" situation. I will simply avoid those goods that force that.
Dan

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
oneeye said:
I have been buying and selling on eBay for many years. Yes, they have raised their fees. So, I simply factor that in my pricing. Problem solved. Where else are you going to reach a worldwide market? I can't believe some of the obscure things I have sold on eBay that would never move on Craigslist or in a local yard sale.

BTW, I have yet to have to deal with the "money holding" situation. I will simply avoid those goods that force that.
Dan

This post was about selling metal detectors on eBay, so the point is, if you are going to sell them on eBay, you will have to deal with it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DirtyMike said:
Where I live a bunch of us use T2's and when we heard the prices they were going for we were ready to sell. Me and a friend purchased ours about 2 years ago used. I paid $400 he paid $450. We started them at what we paid for them then. I got $1,800 and he got $1,450. Well to make a long story short 6 of us sold and the lowest price was the $1,450 and the most was $2,150. Also something funny that we noticed was that every single one that was sold was bid on by the same 5 or 6 people. And all the names were either Muhamed or Ahkmed or something similar. All were middle eastern names. Now I am not saying anything negative about people that are middle eastern but it just seemed fishy. And as far as a "gold rush", I can't find any info on such. There is something fishy it seems but we sold our machines, got paid, and all were left with good feedback so.... Good luck to everyone out there selling and buying. And I don't know if this helps but if I were any of you and had a T2, bye bye T2. Even though they are very good machines in my own opinion, I can get another when they start selling them again (maybe 2).

I had written something but decided maybe I hadn't put that in print.

I will say this though, those half dozen bidders knew exactly what they were doing.

A year ago it looked like doom for First Texas (hobby detectors) and now all of a sudden they're sitting on top of the mountain. Hum, I wonder if there was a plan :laughing7: Nuff said.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cable did a story about e-bay....try to call them....Please leave a message....beep. Press one beep....Yup, e-bay is not what it used to be.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay was a good place to get a used detector at a good price, but not anymore people bid on these units all the way to full purchase price. Its not worth doing anymore. Some people just like bidding and dont know when to stop.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cloviscliff said:
ebay was a good place to get a used detector at a good price, but not anymore people bid on these units all the way to full purchase price. Its not worth doing anymore. Some people just like bidding and dont know when to stop.

Do you actually believe people are bidding them up for fun? If that was the case we'd see higher prices for everything and not just detectors.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
cloviscliff said:

eBay is still a good place to find a used detector. I saw a Minelab Explorer II go for around $350 a few weeks back. The seller was obviously not a detecting enthusiast. There was a missing part and the unit was not cleaned up nicely for the photos. I was tempted to bid on it just so I could repair it and clean it up and put it back on eBay for profit. I recently did that with another detector and I made about $100 with very little effort.

If you are knowledgeable about what you are selling or buying it is still a great tool. My issue was the shock to find that they were holding $650 of mine until a) I got positive feedback on the item, or b) three days after delivery confirmation without a dispute.

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
One of my other hobbies is Saltwater fish and corals (reef). If you think there is a PT Barnum victim waiting on MDs check out some of the coral sites. All you do is frag a coral, add a fancy, designer name and sit back and wait.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Power sellers can bid on their own auctions....... :cussing: :pain10: :angry5: :angry4:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BaconSweaterVestCracklinHatElf said:
Power sellers can bid on their own auctions....... :cussing: :pain10: :angry5: :angry4:

Why just power sellers?

Pretty simple, never bid more than you're willing to pay and you won't have a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread