how to start a MD club?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Feb 2005
    Reynoldsville, PA

how to start a MD club?

How would someone go about starting a metal detecting club? is it a good idea? what would be involved in doing it?

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: how to start a MD club?

Hey Mike.
    It's kind of like loving fly fishing spending every moment you can on the water then trying to open a fly fishing shop.
    You never get to fish.

It's a lot of work.
    But, if it's a burning desire then give it a shot.
    You have to have monthly meetings.
    You have to build a website and or forum.
    You have to be dedicated.

I travel 1-1/2 hours to my club meetings in an already established club in Knoxville TN.
    I like it that way myself. Plus I can always help out if needed.

good luck though!

us
    Feb 2005
    Reynoldsville, PA

i'm just tossing around the idea because there isn't a club in my area. There are a few detectorist that I know of an probably alot I don't.

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I understand.
    Like I had mentioned, I travel 1-1/2 hours to TN. for the monthly meetings and it's great.
    You meet folks to detect with in another area and you'll meet someone else within reasonable driving distance. I'm sure there must be a club within an hour of you?
    Give it a shot. see how they run it.
    Then if you'd like to start one yourself, you'll be more prepared.

Good luck

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Are these guys in driving distance? Maybe email them and ask if they would be willing to speak every other month in your area. That would be like starting a club I guess.

http://www.fmdac.org/states/states.cfm?st=PA

us
    Feb 2005
    Reynoldsville, PA

That would be at leats a 2 1/2 hour drive from me. If I could find a local club I would join them.

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by PAmike
    That would be at leats a 2 1/2 hour drive from me. If I could find a local club I would join them.
    Sorry.
    That's too far. I really think it would be a pain to try to start one mike.
    I'm at a loss bud.

ca
    Digging History

Sep 2006
    3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
    NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
    36 times
    Post Colonial contact

I my Opinion , its not worth it. Go on line and find a few guys or gals and start hunting together. , suply the

BBQ and have fun
    Love to detect history

us
    Feb 2005
    Reynoldsville, PA

good advice Hardy

us
    Nov 2008
    Ellenton, Florida
    Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
    23 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

When I was in Maryland I used to get together with several other MDer's just as a place to meet and talk about our hobby and where we have hunted. We would make it a get together with wives, kids, dogs and just have a cookout at a local state park. They had a shelter we could use if the weather turned bad. Sometimes we would meet at someone's house when the group was still small. It was fun and no one had to keep minutes or go over the last meetings details. Sometimes we would scatter a few tokens with numbers on them for the kids to find and they would win a prize donated by some of the members.

Eventually it grew and someone was elected as president and formally started a club. I liked it when it was just a bunch of MDer's having a get together as friends. It's a thought. When it starts getting to organized it becomes work and someone has to do it. Not me! Sorry but I have enough to do and don't need organization in my already hectic life. Try an informal meeting someplace where you all can come to gab and compare finds informally. You might like it.
    Count Your Blessings but Remember Your Dreams!

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy
    I my Opinion , its not worth it. Go on line and find a few guys or gals and start hunting together. , suply the

BBQ and have fun
    Atta Boy!

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2004
    Hurlock, Maryland
    XP Deus, Excalibur II
    68 times

If you do start a club, it is yours to with what you like. If I wanted to start a club I would call a few friends and fellow detectorist, and put an add in the paper maybe a free radio spot? and get a feel for the wants. Then have an organizing meeting. It should be run as a club with bylaws and set up as you like. If not you will run into problems. In this is the case and you want less responsibility and less head aches may come from just posting on TNET and see who comes to a get togeher say once a month.

By the way I have been VP of my club for three years and it has not been too hard or time consuming. A little frustrating sometimes but most of the frustration was from demanding members and not the other officers.

Check out www.shoreseekers.org for some ideas or just to see what we are up to.

Ed D.
    Keep detecting, Keep finding, Keep digging!

Ed Donovan

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2809 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

Just my feelings " Clubs are a pain in the A$$ " better off like was said find some one in your area and have coffee or breakfast and enjoy . All clubs i have known was to political for me they all start out fine then bam just like a small goverment. The same guy wins best find even though he did not have it then the clique's they set in.. I have 2 buddies we hunt from time to time we have coffee before and after the hunt sometimes breakfast or lunch and we get along fine that to me is the best way. But then i am not a joiner and my buds are not joiners we don't need it.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keppy
    Just my feelings " Clubs are a pain in the A$$ " better off like was said find some one in your area and have coffee or breakfast and enjoy . All clubs i have known was to political for me they all start out fine then bam just like a small goverment. The same guy wins best find even though he did not have it then the clique's they set in.. I have 2 buddies we hunt from time to time we have coffee before and after the hunt sometimes breakfast or lunch and we get along fine that to me is the best way. But then i am not a joiner and my buds are not joiners we don't need it.
    I agree

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2004
    Hurlock, Maryland
    XP Deus, Excalibur II
    68 times

True, metal detecting clubs are not for everyone. However not all clubs are alike. I would advise anyone to try one. For example: My club allows new members to come to a meeting and one club hunt (We have a hunt once a month. The area and permission are acquired by the hunt master.). It cost $25 a year for a family membership. I did see a little of the problems you all mentioned after a few years. My answer was to become an officer, now going on 3 years as VP. Why? I can contribute to help keep the club fair to all.

Bottom line choosing a club is like life, date a little (try) and choose what is best for you, this club, that club or go solo, no club.

Any way you do it, keep swinging, finding, and digging.

Ed D.
    Keep detecting, Keep finding, Keep digging!

Ed Donovan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links