Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Mike.
It's kind of like loving fly fishing spending every moment you can on the water then trying to open a fly fishing shop.
You never get to fish.

It's a lot of work.
But, if it's a burning desire then give it a shot.
You have to have monthly meetings.
You have to build a website and or forum.
You have to be dedicated.

I travel 1-1/2 hours to my club meetings in an already established club in Knoxville TN.
I like it that way myself. Plus I can always help out if needed.

good luck though!

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
i'm just tossing around the idea because there isn't a club in my area. There are a few detectorist that I know of an probably alot I don't.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand.
Like I had mentioned, I travel 1-1/2 hours to TN. for the monthly meetings and it's great.
You meet folks to detect with in another area and you'll meet someone else within reasonable driving distance. I'm sure there must be a club within an hour of you?
Give it a shot. see how they run it.
Then if you'd like to start one yourself, you'll be more prepared.

Good luck :)

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
I my Opinion , its not worth it. Go on line and find a few guys or gals and start hunting together. :icon_thumleft: , suply the

BBQ and have fun :icon_thumleft:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: When I was in Maryland I used to get together with several other MDer's just as a place to meet and talk about our hobby and where we have hunted. We would make it a get together with wives, kids, dogs and just have a cookout at a local state park. They had a shelter we could use if the weather turned bad. Sometimes we would meet at someone's house when the group was still small. It was fun and no one had to keep minutes or go over the last meetings details. Sometimes we would scatter a few tokens with numbers on them for the kids to find and they would win a prize donated by some of the members.

Eventually it grew and someone was elected as president and formally started a club. I liked it when it was just a bunch of MDer's having a get together as friends. It's a thought. When it starts getting to organized it becomes work and someone has to do it. Not me! Sorry but I have enough to do and don't need organization in my already hectic life. Try an informal meeting someplace where you all can come to gab and compare finds informally. You might like it. :laughing9:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do start a club, it is yours to with what you like. If I wanted to start a club I would call a few friends and fellow detectorist, and put an add in the paper maybe a free radio spot? and get a feel for the wants. Then have an organizing meeting. It should be run as a club with bylaws and set up as you like. If not you will run into problems. In this is the case and you want less responsibility and less head aches may come from just posting on TNET and see who comes to a get togeher say once a month.

By the way I have been VP of my club for three years and it has not been too hard or time consuming. A little frustrating sometimes but most of the frustration was from demanding members and not the other officers.

Check out www.shoreseekers.org for some ideas or just to see what we are up to.

Ed D.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my feelings " Clubs are a pain in the A$$ " better off like was said find some one in your area and have coffee or breakfast and enjoy . All clubs i have known was to political for me they all start out fine then bam just like a small goverment. The same guy wins best find even though he did not have it then the clique's they set in.. I have 2 buddies we hunt from time to time we have coffee before and after the hunt sometimes breakfast or lunch and we get along fine that to me is the best way. But then i am not a joiner and my buds are not joiners we don't need it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keppy said:
Just my feelings " Clubs are a pain in the A$$ " better off like was said find some one in your area and have coffee or breakfast and enjoy . All clubs i have known was to political for me they all start out fine then bam just like a small goverment. The same guy wins best find even though he did not have it then the clique's they set in.. I have 2 buddies we hunt from time to time we have coffee before and after the hunt sometimes breakfast or lunch and we get along fine that to me is the best way. But then i am not a joiner and my buds are not joiners we don't need it.
I agree

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, metal detecting clubs are not for everyone. However not all clubs are alike. I would advise anyone to try one. For example: My club allows new members to come to a meeting and one club hunt (We have a hunt once a month. The area and permission are acquired by the hunt master.). It cost $25 a year for a family membership. I did see a little of the problems you all mentioned after a few years. My answer was to become an officer, now going on 3 years as VP. Why? I can contribute to help keep the club fair to all.

Bottom line choosing a club is like life, date a little (try) and choose what is best for you, this club, that club or go solo, no club.

Any way you do it, keep swinging, finding, and digging.

Ed D.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am definitely going to start a detecting club!

....once I've picked every old site clean. It will be great to have people to share my finds with. ;D That is a joke, but not far from the truth because I probably will start a club for fun 10 or 15 years down the road and it will be great to tell the stories of the good ole days! :thumbsup:

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I agree with Iron Patch (did I just say that?).

In my experience (none with MDing clubs) with hobby or interest related clubs, the people who wind up in charge are not as into the actual hobby or interest as the regular members. Their "fun" comes from being in charge or the authority on something.

When I sold bait and tackle there were many "fishing" clubs that spent all their time and energy on parties, meetings, and boats, but never actually soaked any worms.

There were also many "fishermen" who sat in the shop all day to talk about fishing.

Find two or three like minded people to team up with. The first person who writes down a rule, dig a big plug, place him in it, and cover your hole.

But as my wife says, what do I know?
Fathead

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
fathead said:

In my experience (none with MDing clubs) with hobby or interest related clubs, the people who wind up in charge are not as into the actual hobby or interest as the regular members. Their "fun" comes from being in charge or the authority on something.

When I sold bait and tackle there were many "fishing" clubs that spent all their time and energy on parties, meetings, and boats, but never actually soaked any worms.

There were also many "fishermen" who sat in the shop all day to talk about fishing.

Find two or three like minded people to team up with. The first person who writes down a rule, dig a big plug, place him in it, and cover your hole.

Fathead
Find a couple of freinds go detecting and tell the clubs to go to He!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kando said:
fathead said:

Fathead
Find a couple of freinds go detecting and tell the clubs to go to He!!

That's what I do, except it's more than a couple people and the hunts don't happen too often because of our locations. We sure have had some great hunts in the last 10 years, and some great finds too! For anyone who hunts alone regardless of how much they find I feel a little sorry because they are missing out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread