which detector will work best for me?

bobg0719

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2010
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and just getting back into detecting. I have various sites from the 1700 and 1800's that I have permission to hunt. I am trying to decide which machine will work best for me. I want something to find coins, relics and jewelry as deep as possible. But I would also like to search for caches that are deeper in the ground. Is there a detector that has great depth for coins and relics, that can be used to search for deeper caches that may be 2-3 ft feet down. I was looking at the garret gti 2500 and the depth multiplier that is made to fit it. I know what ever I buy, that I will need to spend time learning the machine, and I plan on doing so. Will this machine or any other do what I am looking for? Any recommendations or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of detectors like golf clubs, a different one for different types of shots. You can chip with a Putter, but get better results with other clubs and it is the same with metal detectors.

The GTI 2500 is a good detector and is the only one that can also handle a two box setup for deeper targets of larger size. All detectors can find coins, rings and relics as it is just the amount of disc and the frequencies used. Your choice should allow the use of many different size coils for different jobs. About the only place the 2500 can't do well in is the wet saltwater sand at a beach, but can be hunted by turning down the sens. Not advisable to take it in the surf as even salt spray can harm it. If you do take the coil in the water, never raise the coil higher than the controls as water in the shaft can flow into the controls ruining the thing.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The Tesoro Tejon and Nautilus are good choices as well, unless you are looking for a screen to look at.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Sandman said = (Think of detectors like golf clubs, a different one for different types of shots. You can chip with a Putter, but get better results with other clubs and it is the same with metal detectors.)
You might consider a White's TDI ,, with a minelab coil, or coiltech coil.
The more ya get into the hunt you'll end up with several different Detectors to cover all the soil conditions you are in. Check in my profile. and click on My Pictures , Then click the one of the back of My truck and you will see what I mean. H/H Extractor

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oops. I should have read your whole post sorry. I just saw coins and relics lol

You know, You speak of wanting to go 2-3 foot for cache's?

I understand that the 2 box units are designed for that.

Fisher makes one and Garrett.
I don't sell either.
I was told fisher is more user friendly.

A good company to contact for these is Southern treasures.
1-205-247-5716

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy into those large add-ons for the Garrett or any other detector unless you're looking for a specific cache, which I would think wouldn't be too often. All high end detectors when using high sens. and low disc. are pretty good at hitting large targets deep. To use one of those big 2 box units or multipliers or whatever the heck they call them you're just wasting away your day hoping for the big one. I'd much rather use a normal detector, find all the usual targets, probably have the shot of at least half the caches, than go home with nothing from a bad equipment choice.

I had a GTI and it's a good unit but one thing I didn't like is a lack of modulated audio because the target boost and just the way the unit operates gives you much less sound info. on the deep stuff. It's hard to describe but basically it doesn't give you as many little hints. In comparison, and an example, one thing my explorer does better is lets me cherry pick quality iron hits at my Colonial sites that can be cannon balls or trade axes. I can wait and pick my spots, but with the Garrett the sound between a deep nail and deep big iron wasn't a heck of a lot different, so if you want iron relics you have no choice but to dig lots of iron. I am no doubt getting way ahead of things if you are just starting out so I'll stop now. I did make many good finds with my GTI 1500, and my digging bud has 5 or 6 years of very good ones with his too.

In my opinion you should drop the dream of caches and figure out what unit you want for coins and relics. You'll find way more in the long run doing it that way.

PS... In my 10 years online I can count all the caches I've seen posted on my two hands. The one which was by far the best had MANY question attached with the story changing 2 or 3 times. The rest had no serious value, and even a few of those were most likely BS. Yes, a good one is probably one in a million, and you should know that going in, but do keep the dream alive! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bobg0719

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for all the input guys. I will take all you said into consideration and try to decide on a detector. Is there any detector that outperforms most others for coins and jewelry? What is the max depth that one could expect to find coins. I know it may depend on coin size and search coil, but wondering what kind of depth can be achieved with a good machine and large search coil.

Thanks again
Bob

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
John (Ma) said:
The Tesoro Tejon and Nautilus are good choices as well, unless you are looking for a screen to look at.

As a Relic hunter I agree with John , If I was starting over I would lean towards the Nautilus.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy said:
John (Ma) said:

As a Relic hunter I agree with John , If I was starting over I would lean towards the Nautilus.

Might be good for the depth with the 15" coil but I didn't like it in iron. Seemed like too much masking and I'm just not into changing to a 6" every time I walk into the iron. I'd be back and forth all day long. I do like the separation in the headphones, and I took to it right away, but as I said it was the masking I didn't feel I'd be able to deal with compared to my current tector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread