Minelab vs. Tesoro (not a loaded question!)

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I just acquired a Minelab Explorer II in pristine condition. The understanding I had with my wife was that I would sell it. I've never owned a Minelab and it is looking very tempting. Currently I own a Tesoro Tejon and was wondering how this Explorer II compares to it. Am I about to sell a better detector? I realize there are always pros and cons, but I just wanted to see if anyone out there could give an opinion from their personal experience with it. All comments are appreciated and keep an eye out as i will probably try to sell it here if it comes to it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) No one can give you the answer you need.

2) You'd be crazy not to try it!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd be selling a higher-priced machine.

Better? That's a question you get answered by giving it a try, and then deciding.

B

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd give it a good try before deciding. By a good try, I mean use it enough that you're past the new and unfamiliar and therefore are mostly comfortable with it rather than judging it because it seems awkward compared to what you'r used to. My two bits.
HH
luvsdux

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're going to find that it's entirely different beast than your Tesoro, as far as sounds, characteristics, methods of use, etc... You may end up hating it, if you're only used to the Tesoro. The Exp. II (once you've gotten the tooty-fluty sounds down) is going to be the deeper seeker with better TID (IMHO), but your Tesoro is going to have the better averaging, separation, etc... So it's a Ford/Chevy question. To really get a handle on the Exp, if you've never used one, hook up with a proficient user (not a sandbox hunter, but someone who routinely comes in with the old deeep silver) and have him flag a few deepies for sound/swing comparisons in-the-field.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Wife huh! You really can't own too many detectors. Buy her some extra roses on "V" day and keep it.
Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe is 100% right on the keeping the detector. Tell the woman your going to find her a ring with it and then go buy her one that You "found" with the Minelab. Keep the Tejon too. If she doesn't like it, go hide under the bed, you won't be sleeping on top of it for awhile........... :laughing7:

I'd vote for learning the one you got also. Tejon is a sweet machine that might be the right fit for you. Either way, they both will do the job!
Dave.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also say you should try it out. It never hurts to have a backup detector. This way you can invite someone along and you would have a detector for them to use. Or if you have to send in yours you will have one to use when the other is in the shop. Go out and find some rings and let your wife have here picks. Yes even you you have to give her 2 or 3 rings......Matt

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Hell The Red Head would think I was sick if I ONLY had 2 machines lol

Put one in the Garage man , you have 2 real good machines an both have their own good points , I know money hard an if its an issue of money then I'd do as Tom says an find somebody who really knows it an hang out with em a couple times then make your choice .

HH Tank

OP
OP
P

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to take the Explorer II out in the backyard today to see how I like it. My backyard backs up to a National Civil War battlefield. I've pretty much covered it good with my Tejon and pulled a few bullets out of the ground, so if I find something else today, that may heavily sway my decision. I love my Tejon, but the one issue I have is that it doesn't do well on the beach. I go to Peru every year or so, so I really want the ability to detect the beaches there when I do go. The Tejon went crazy the last time I took it there. I am figuring later this summer I will be able to afford a Tejon better than something on the level of the Minelab, so if I do like it, I think I may keep it and sell the Tejon for the time being. I will update my feelings on the Explorer later on. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Philvis said:
I just acquired a Minelab Explorer II in pristine condition. The understanding I had with my wife was that I would sell it. I've never owned a Minelab and it is looking very tempting. Currently I own a Tesoro Tejon and was wondering how this Explorer II compares to it. Am I about to sell a better detector? I realize there are always pros and cons, but I just wanted to see if anyone out there could give an opinion from their personal experience with it. All comments are appreciated and keep an eye out as i will probably try to sell it here if it comes to it. Thanks!
But, don't piss off your wife!

Do what you promised :nono:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on whether you wish to take a six-month break from your good finds in order to learn a new detector. I own two, and I am proficient at both, but only because I took the time to learn the new one when I got it--and also because I still take both detectors out with me on every digging trip.

Anyone who owns more than two detectors is just asking for a skunking. There is no way they can be really familiar with six machines. Unless they have no job and hunt every day.

-Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
It depends on whether you wish to take a six-month break from your good finds in order to learn a new detector. I own two, and I am proficient at both, but only because I took the time to learn the new one when I got it--and also because I still take both detectors out with me on every digging trip.

Anyone who owns more than two detectors is just asking for a skunking. There is no way they can be really familiar with six machines. Unless they have no job and hunt every day.

-Buckles

I wouldn't own two.... heck I don't even want two coils!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckles

Buckles,

That all depends on what you do. If you are only hunting parks and the like, then I agree with you completely. People like me, on the other hand, hunt several places for different things. I beach hunt, I relic hunt, I prospect for natural gold, and I hunt out old Spanish Mines. I have: Excalibur 1000, SD2000 (heavily modified), X-Terra 70, and a Fisher Gemini (Two-Box).

I have each one for very specific purposes, and (like you said) have taken a loooooooooooooong time to learn the ins/outs and quirks of each.

Best-Mike

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Gollum,

Different detectors can do different jobs.

They are like cameras - I own 11 cameras (I think, it might be 12) - and use every one of them - for different outings, different types of pictures, different speeds of film, etc.

So, we also own several different metal detectors - all for different reasons.

B

OP
OP
P

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I took it out for a spin last weekend in the backyard for about 15 minutes. I liked it, but definitely can tell its a machine that will take me awhile to learn. It's taken me an hour here and there over a year or so to get proficient with the Tejon, so I just don't see myself honestly being able to devote the time I need to this one. It's ashame as it is in pristine condition, but at this point in time, I just don't have the time to learn it and the money could come in handy as the house always is needing a repair of some sort. I've put it up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Thanks for everyone's input as I really appreciated it.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
[bg=http://forum.treasurenet.com/images/coinsc.jpg]Technologically and advancement wise the Explorer is far superior.

Treasure wise the Tejon is far superior.

Badger[/bg]

I agree with Badger and personally I like the Tejon's ability and simplicity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread