Metal detection in deep snow??

jproebstel

Jan 25, 2006
Hi, I'm brand new to this site and came here primarily to see if I could get a question answered. I know virtually nothing about metal detectors, but am faced with a situaltion where one may come in very useful. I am a caretaker at a mountain cabin community in NE Oregon, and am trying to locate cast iron valve box housings (about 40lbs and at ground surface) my big issue is the five to seven feet of snow covering the ground. Is it possible to detect an object with reasonable accuracy at that depth? I'm not looking to spend anymore than a few hundred dollars on a detector. Or is this just a case, where I'm outta luck and going to have to dig hundreds of tons of snow looking for the valve boxes?.....any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
J. Proebstel
Athena OR

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Not sure of the depth with that much snow, although I hunt here in Wisconsin in two to three feet of snow and have no problem....digging frozen ground is the problem..LOL...I dont see why one of your even cheaper models wouldnt pick that up at 40lbs and on ground surface. Next year tho, you might want to consider putting a flag on those housing boxes, before the snow blows! ;)

OP
OP
J

jproebstel

Jan 25, 2006
Most of the locations were marked on a map using triangulation to existing structures. The information for the most recently replaced valve housings was lost somewhere prior to the deep snow flying...and with hindsight always being so good, I completely agree that ten foot neon orange posts would definately be much better than the situation I now find myself in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread