TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in North Carolina and have gone to Florida to the Gold Coast...
I also Flew to Virginia Beach when a big storm hit there...

had to be more than 300 miles one way to Florida Gold Coast...

I am also considering Costa Rica...

Of course I work for the Airline industry..

OP
OP
McIntosh

McIntosh

Feb 12, 2010
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX/Garrett ACE 250/Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter
Ok, so pick one specific trip where you went for the sole purpose of MD'ing, total the miles "one way" and share with us the distance at least.

thanks

OP
OP
McIntosh

McIntosh

Feb 12, 2010
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX/Garrett ACE 250/Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter
Drove from Albuquerque NM to Galveston TX after they had a Hurricane. Total one way trip was almost 1200 miles.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We currently reside in NC and besides my wife being the director here her passion is teaching girls cheer leading.
She is also the middle school cheer coach where we now live.
When we moved from Colorado she was the high school coach of a suburb of Denver. She is an excellent coach and her girls won state championships every year. So, They now fly us out to Co. every year on their bill for a week for her to choreograph one dance. Guess who get's to go dig gold nuggets out of the Colorado Rocky's?

Man I'm a lucky guy! lol

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I once drove from Maryland over 3000 miles to look for butch cassity's hole in the wall hideout only to find out when I got there that the park service had just taken it from the bureau of land management under the desert tourtis protection act. It was posted. Some times you win, some times you loose!

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
That would be Australia for me, starting next month will be my 3rd trip and the second one into
Western Australia going for the gold :) But I dont overlook the parks and green ways in the
cities for a different type of gold~ Aussie 2 dollar coins are candy. Be gone down under for
4 months or so this go and total travel will be about 10000 miles all together with air and ground
travel. Yep this is for the sole purpose of metal detecting~ not for the faint of heart :) hehh

B

BIG61AL

Denver to Cancun, Mexico :D all I do is detect and drink Herra Durra tequila :icon_pirat:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just spent 4 days hunting the west side of Route 66. We concentrated on the abandoned motels, gas stations, houses, and diners. It was about 400 miles to get to where Route 66 starts. We hunted the stretch from Oro Grande to Needles CA which was about 200 miles. Lots of abandoned buildings along the way to hunt and many intresting things to see.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DGDancer said:
That would be Australia for me, starting next month will be my 3rd trip and the second one into
Western Australia going for the gold :) But I dont overlook the parks and green ways in the
cities for a different type of gold~ Aussie 2 dollar coins are candy. Be gone down under for
4 months or so this go and total travel will be about 10000 miles all together with air and ground
travel. Yep this is for the sole purpose of metal detecting~ not for the faint of heart :) hehh
How do you find places to detect over there from over here... ?
Nuggut hunting in the fields of the OutBack seems very fun... but I would not know where to
start or who to talk to to start...

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sonoma County Mike said:
Just spent 4 days hunting the west side of Route 66. We concentrated on the abandoned motels, gas stations, houses, and diners. It was about 400 miles to get to where Route 66 starts. We hunted the stretch from Oro Grande to Needles CA which was about 200 miles. Lots of abandoned buildings along the way to hunt and many intresting things to see.

What I want to know is did you actually find anything, or what did you find.
I would almost think places like that have been hit hard over the past 30 years..
just wondering how you did ?

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Torrero,
I have some good friends who are taking me along for the ride this year. Otherwise I do my research, and
I'll do it there to, by log'n into the Australian Mine's index and look'n for open ground. Big country and alot
of the good claims are made but there are ways and places to get on the good stuff out there. Takes alot
of research and my first go with a group back in 2006 was with a lot that were looking for all comers and
I went out with them. In '99 I just did the reasearch from home and went on my own. Thats just the gold...
coin shoting down under is outstanding to and all ya need to do is follow basic courtesy and be smart
about diggin so just about any park is open. 2 dollar aussie coins are like candy :) I had days I made almost
a 100 dollars just in those coins.
Just make a plan to go and do it~ if your going for the gold find a group for safety reasons~ but dont just
daydream about it. Its worth the time and money.
Leaving Sunday:) WHOOO HOOO

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[

What I want to know is did you actually find anything, or what did you find.
I would almost think places like that have been hit hard over the past 30 years..
just wondering how you did ?
[/quote]

The first abandoned house we hit had just 2 wheat pennies in the front yard and about $2.00 in clad. What was really weird about the first house was that we were finding all these metal chess pieces that belonged to a chess set. We found 21 pieces, they were pawns, knights, rooks, and bishops. Never found any kings or queens? One of the abandoned gas stations produced 12 wheat pennies, 1 merc dime, and a 1900 V nickel. More wheat pennies and clad were found at the other sites, but not much silver. Dug numerous pieces of junk copper and brass and several pieces of junk jewelry. Many of the places had no tresspassing signs posted. If we saw a sign we just kept driving and hunted only the areas where no signs were present . It was just a very enjoyable experience seeing that old highway and imagining how it must have been in its prime during the 1950's and 60's. Some of the places we hunted must have been virgin areas, there was just to much clad and wheats to be found. Some other places were fairly clean, you could tell other detectorist had hit the area.

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
I live in Wisconsin but right now am in Alaska. Found about $7 in clad the first afternoon.

A month ago we were in Texas and the previous two years traveled to Maui.

Metal detecting was at the top of the list for all of these trips.

Jerry

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
drove from callahan, florida to cocoa beach )a pretty fair distance)--once --because my young 10 year old niece wanted to treasure hunt with "uncle ivan "---the beach hunt turned up nada --but a near by tot lot turned up a silver and blue stone type bracelet that some volleyball player lost by laying her coat over a nearby bench --it was in the tall grass along the back of the bench --oddly the bracelet had 3 "sterling block" type letters that matched my nieces name to a "t" --of course she "got" it --and no it was not a "plant" but a legit find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread