To Share...........OR............Not to Share

McIntosh

Feb 12, 2010
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX/Garrett ACE 250/Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter
If multiple folks are Metal Detecting a site and one of them finds a "cash cache", should they HAVE TO share or not share their find(s)?

A buddy of mine says a group of folks should share. I personally don't agree. Everyone was invited to the site and "working" their own area of interest. He believes that everyone should share ALL their finds when out in a group.

What's everyone think?

Share? or Not Share?

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Sorry meant to say, you never would have dug it had you not said it. Probably was a hard one to see go. Have you ever found another one since?

That I agree with, probably woundn't have happened. That said, I think I did tell Ironhorse I was digging a plate the day I found my 1812 era one, but I have probably said that 20 times before.

I have never found another Rev cartridge badge like that and the odds are really against digging another, but you never know. It had a bend in it, so in a way I was happy to sell it and not have to consider trying to straighten it.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To me, its like going "halfies" on a car. It just wont work out.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me put it his way if I found three gold coins in one day while hunting with a buddy I would probably not give any away. It all depends on what, how many and the monetary value of what was found. I may give my partners a few, say coins if I found 20 half dollars. I have never had any buddies find caches so I cannot tell you the norm here. I would say it is up to the finder what to do. As the buddy "Don,t expect anything" and as the finder "Don,t be greedy" A true detecting buddy would not care one way or the other, being there for the find would be enough.

Ed D.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
4-H said:
Iron Patch said:
Nope! Sharing and deals in detecting just amount to problems. The guys I hunt with it's very clear, if you dug it, it's yours, where as our competition sell most of what they find, have deals made, and the drama never stops.

PS... I'll add this, but has nothing to do with my opinion on this because it never bothered me for one second. In 2002 I met someone for a hunt on his site and said (as I had said to my regular digging buds many times before) "keep the buttons split the plate?" My friend said sure, and we both laughed, then 20 minutes later I walked over to him with a $4,000 Rev War cartridge plate in my hand. My share of the cash is long gone but it's one of my favourite memories.
I agree but maaan.
Wouldn't you think it would just be courteous to offer?
And hope they say no. ;D J/K

Nope! No offers of any kind except for maybe a coffee or beer. ;D

First off we don't sell much of what we find so that alone is enough to not bother trying to sort out deals. I had a couple guests a few years back and they had a 50/50 deal on good finds. One dug a great button and it was either sell and split, or pay his friend $500 so he could keep it. Not wanting to be out money from detecting he had to sell it. I hunt with quite a few different guys, most I've known quite a while, and the thought to offer anything because of a good find never comes up and never will.
Fair enough. I still would have to make an effort to pay for their gas or something.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chimed in when this was first posted an having watching everyones reactions an answers , I have been to quite a few club hunts an I think that helps with my mind set . if guys a,b,c,d find more or cooler stuff than me I'm stoked for them , prime example one of the members here came down to one of my club hunts an I was sick as a dog for the hunt he found twice as much for as he completed the full hunt where I didn't an I was stoked for him ...............I guess it's just me if I was told there was to be a split between everyone I really think I'd excuse myself from the hunt even if it was a hunt I really wanted to do , to me it's just not worth all the BS N drama.

Tank

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I hunt solo so this is not an issue. My belief is that if you dig it, you keep it. Sorry folks but I do not believe in sharing the wealth.

For those of you who do, go for it. It is a personal choice.

Ray S ECenFL

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:
I hunt solo so this is not an issue. My belief is that if you dig it, you keep it. Sorry folks but I do not believe in sharing the wealth.

For those of you who do, go for it. It is a personal choice.

Ray S ECenFL

Amen Ray :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread