32.2 KB · Views: 670
Upvote 0

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Re: 1st Railroad Date Nail 1928 UPDATED WITH PHOTOS

I have one from the old Milwaukee Rail line that went through here from 1909 to 1974. It is made from hardened copper. The trains were totally electric from here to Seattle. The Substation that produced the 3000 volts DC is only 7 miles from here. I am negotiating permission to hunt that property and I have permission to hunt a small township further down the line. The line was abandoned in 1974. The township consisted of a depot, a general store, a post office a one room school house and about 20 residences. The township is on private property and I have secured permission to hunt it to death. The township was abandoned in 1947. My nail is dated 1935(35). Just waiting for warmer weather. HH

Attachments

• DATED RR NAIL.jpg
    DATED RR NAIL.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 532
  • DATED RR NAIL1.jpg
    DATED RR NAIL1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 550
OP
OP
McIntosh

McIntosh

Feb 12, 2010
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX/Garrett ACE 250/Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter
So are these things worth anything or just cool to collect

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
McIntosh said:
So are these things worth anything or just cool to collect

I have been told that Rail Spikes that are dated can be worth a tidy sum. I have seen spikes that were not dated and cleaned up go for $2.50 at Flea markets to people that like to collect this type thing. As far as the nails go, I have not tryed to sell the one I have. I am told that when I hunt that Township I should find a lot of them since this was a maintenance workers township. I think they are just cool to find and knowing that I hold a piece of my areas history in my hand is worth the finding. HH

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a flea mkt in McAlister, Ok. last fall and a lady had a basket of them, your choice $1.00

shadow0357

Nov 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes railroad nails are cool to collect but their price are high price 10 railroad nails not railroad spikes are worth $100

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work for a RR company, while looking for material in an old shed near an old unnamed depot I found boxes of unused date nails. They’re still there as far as I know. It’s my humble opinion but I just don’t think they’re that rare. (I suppose the older the better) I still see a good many of them in old abandoned sidings and turnouts. They are certainly cool collectibles though.

lovinlife

Oct 2, 2014
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve dug up so many spikes I lost count. But I wanna dig up nails with dates! Sounds much cooler!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love railroad stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread