Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Railroad areas tend to be loaded with iron and tough, but like any other site it's a case by case basis. I have had some success on old dirt roads, the best leading to an 1800s Ferry. Canals would depend on what took place in the early days.. was there people there?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any place that had human activity is worth a try. All these fit that criteria, but the final answer is go for it and see.
HH
luvsduc

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Go detect these areas. If you find great things, than they are good detecting areas. Dont take anyones word for it. Btw, those are all areas that had pretty good amounts of people. In the case of the canal, look for areas that have a bridge over the canal.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a guy on here a year or so ago that was posting pics of some really neat relics he was finding along RR tracks. Might have been where an old terminal was or nearby...but it appeared to be well worth the effort.
The canals around me were bought out by the railroads, filled in with gravel and slag, then new tracks laid on it for the trains. Not so good for detecting here but maybe around you....you may have some spots where maybe passengers got aboard or maybe a freight stop...some pretty big boats were towed up and down those things and generally to busy ports of industry.
The rivers here were just too shallow back in those days and building the canals was just their way...before the locks and dams were built or before rail service was readily available.

I'd scout areas, check old maps...just detect some lazy day away....that's what it's all about. :thumbsup:

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread