Teaching Young Kids Metal Detecting?

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do alot of volunteer work with the local cub scout pack here in my community. The boys grade 1-4 are going on a overnight campout at the end of March and I was asked to come out and do a metal detecting presentation for them and want to give them some hands on experience. My thoughts on this was to go over the basics How to dig a correct plug, Throw all trash away, always get permmision to hunt stuff like that. I also am going to setup a small seeded area for them to be able to dig a few targets. I want to make this fun for them so any ideas you guys and gals can give me would be appciated.

Upvote 0

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I am a teacher (4th grade) and I appreciate you taking the time to introduce MDing to children.

Here are some strategies that might be helpful.

First, start with show and tell. Bring in enough interesting artifacts for each kid to hold one. Then during the rest of your talk time you can say "pass" every two minutes or so. This should hook them immediately and keep them interested (at least in what they are going to get next). Be very clear about who passes to who and how to handle certain objects. Don't hand out anything that can get damaged. (I lost a Chinese jade figure when a tenth grader dropped it "just to see if it would break")

Second, once their hands are occupied, bring out the cool tools. Detector, probes, diggers, sand scoops, headphones, etc... Briefly explain each item, but they aren't going to care about ground balance and the science of metal detection. It is easy for experts and enthusiasts to overtalk things and kill the fun.

Third, after a few rotations of your items, ask for some guesses about what some of the more unusual relics are. This gives the kids a chance to "discover" or figure something out. You may even choose two or three of the weirdest (items not kids) and say "I don't know what these are and I was hoping someone here would know"

Fourth, explain how your seeded hunt is going to work. I would use a sandy or woodchip area if at all possible. New diggers are brutal on the turf and most kids are going to just want to find something. Plant one item for each kid and let them keep what they find. The dollar store sells matchbox type cars cheaply, mix in some "gold" new dollar coins, and some foreign coins.

I have many more ideas if you, want but I realized I just slipped into teacher mode.

Good luck.

Fathead

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to help. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang:

You'll need to set up a grid large enough so that the machines don't interfere with each other. Trust me.

Or, you can take turns and work on a smaller scale.
And Everything Fathead told you follow. :wink: :hello2:

We teach kids the same thing here.

I have to commend you on this. Done correctly, it can change some kids lives.

Let them go at it don't interupt them too much. You don't want to discourage them.

You had better film this!

Take your camera.

Call your local newspaper they will come and do an interview.

Give awards to ALL of them. Certificates, so everyone feels like an equal winner!

It's endless! FILM, FILM ,FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you wont regret it

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I just noticed you are on the Eastern Shore. My parents live in Rock Hall. I might be able to help out as well depending on the day. I could definitely send you some items to hide that the kids can keep. Just let me know.

FH

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Ideas so far. We are doing it on March 27th down in Cambridge MD at the Horn Point Lab. I've got a bunch of wheaties and some other cool things to bury and let them find. I'm going to let each kid dig 2 targets on the hunt and am going to use a basic machine for them Ace 250. I know my son is pumped to do it. Def going to keep it simple these kids love things that go beep and such. They had their pinewood derby race last month, Horn Point Campout next month with meatal detecting and a space derby then in April I get to put on a fishing derby for them. Alot of fun being part of the cub scouts and boy scouts. Fathead Thanks for the offer. Whats everyone's suggestions on things to bury matchbox cars, coins, keys any other ideas?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let us know how this turns out. I think it is a great idea. I have been a boy scout leader for 28 yrs and I am working on something here as well.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
Let us know how this turns out. I think it is a great idea. I have been a boy scout leader for 28 yrs and I am working on something here as well.
Well you know I'll be there for you Randy on that one. Were digging brothers! lol

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H said:
treasurehound said:
Well you know I'll be there for you Randy on that one. Were digging brothers! lol

Thanks Mike. I have a troop meeting tonight and will talk to them about it and see what I can do for the troop. I would also like to see if I can do something council wide for all the troops and packs. Just a thought but you have to start somewhere.

Monkeywrangler2

Feb 12, 2010
We take our 3 Monkeys out MDing with us all the time. They love to try to dig, or use the propointer but they are still learning, and lack the mass to drive the digger deep enough. Still, they have sharp eyes and are low to the ground for picking up stuff (esp trash!) and they have fun trying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread