Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Contact their chamber of commerce. Also find out how you should pack your detector. Some islands are worried about you trying to beat an import tax with luxury items. I have had trouble with fishing gear going to Grenada.

Just a thought

Fathead

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Unless things have changed from a few years back; no you cannot metal detect
there unless you are on privet property ( fat chance of that ! ) Check with them
before taking one there. The rest of the islands in the Caribbean allow them
as long as you are not at a historical site or on privet land without permission,
also some of the beach hotels may give you trouble unless you work there beach
after dark, when all the guests have left the beach for the night. Do not show any
finds to anyone ( except coins )!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
XT18000, just curious: what is the source of your information? Because I have heard of people asking about various carribean, mexican, south american, etc... beach areas, and being told "no" by whomever consulate or lawyer type they asked (or police, or concierge or tour guide, etc...). But then they get to their destination, and find no shortage of md'rs on the beach :dontknow: I guess it depends on who you ask, how you couch your question, etc... Because perhaps they're couching their answer in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, pyramaid raiding, exporting gold bars?

Fisher, one time, even reported to it's readers in one of its periodicals, in response to one of their readers writing in a letter to the editor, that metal detecting in all of mexico, was illegal. How did they get this answer? They asked! doh :tongue3: The odd thing is, Fisher has dealers down in Mexico, and detectors are a common site on tourist beaches. Ie.: any rule that Fisher must've received back from their legal sources, obviously had nothing to do with casual hobbyist stuff, but more likely something to do with historical monuments, etc... (no different than the USA).

So that's why I ask where your info came from.

painless

Mar 2, 2009
Central TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 - Teknetics Delta
mlayers said:
I am trying to figure out where I would like to go this year. I was looking at the Virgin Islands and I was wondering if you can detect there. I see there is no site here for them. So I thought I would ask has anyone ever detected there. Any information would be appreciated.....Matt

When I moved from there in 91, all beaches were public property, and metal detecting was allowed.

Not that someone might try to intimidate you into leaving.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Most all of my information on this subject has been from past posts here
and on other web sites; some from my own experience, some from dealer's
and from people I have met in the past. A call to ANY Consulate office or
any other type of Gov. office is a sure way to be told NO. Like wise any Police
office ( they are not going to stick there necks out and have someone cut there
head off because they exceeded there authority,etc. etc. ). As long as you are
not raiding there historical sites I know of very few places any more that prohibit
your bringing a detector into there country even places like RUSSIA. I for one
would not take a detector into AFRICA anywhere for any reason! TURKEY and
GREESE would also be a no no for my part. And just as a tip Don't take any
detector that you are not willing to part with any where out side the U.S.
As I said in my first post on this subject take a sales slip and a owners manual
with you an you will save yourself a lot of grief both coming and going!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread