park rules-or lack thereof(again)

andrew96

Feb 7, 2010
Well, that broadcast got me thinking. I was always told that md-ing in parks was always forbidden, but operantly not. I got this from a nearby county, "No person in a City park, facility and/or trail area shall dig or remove any soil, rock, stone, sand, shrub, tree or plants, down timber or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency.", and I was wondering what you guys thought of that. What about a beach on the river in a park? Could I circumnavigate this via just using a screwdriver?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Andrew, you say: " I was always told that md-ing in parks was always forbidden ..... " Uh, praytell .... who told you that? :icon_scratch:

And then you say you "got this":

"No person in a City park, facility and/or trail area shall dig or remove any soil, rock, stone, sand, shrub, tree or plants, down timber or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency."

Question: How did you "get this" in regards to metal detecting? I mean, did you look that up? Or did you walk into city hall and ask "can I metal detect in the park?" and this was the answer they told you applies? The problem is, that it implies you intend to leave a mess (the clear implication of the "destroy" clauses), which is obviously not the case here.

Yes: if any desk-bound bureaucrat thinks about it long enough and hard enough, they can probably think of that PLUS 20 more things/reasons to say "no". Others would be: lost & found regulations, perceived sprinkler head damage, or silly things like indian artifact stuff (never mind that indians had no refined metals). And on and on it goes.

The psychology is: that the mere fact that you are standing there asking for permission merely pre-assumes that something is inherently damaging, evil, etc... that you had to ask, to begin with. It would be like this: if I went and asked city hall where I'm at: "can I put on a suit made of tree bark, sprinkle birdseed on my head, & stand in central park whistling dixie?" they'd probably tell me I need a parade permit, and have to get signed off by the SPCA, PG&E, etc.... right? Essentially "no you can't". But if I just did it, do you really think anyone would care?

I personally do not consider these "digging" (damage, excavation, etc...) prohibitions to have anything to do with metal detecting. I do not let them stop me. Reason? because I intend to leave no trace, and no one will be able to tell I was there. If this still leaves you skittish, then you're probably going to have to find other places to hunt, and skip all public parks. Because I gaurantee you, if you walk in to ANY city hall and say "Can I please dig and destroy the park?" What do you THINK they're going to say? ::)

Therefore, unless there's anything specifically saying "no metal detecting", then I consider it silent on the issue. I will not consider peripheral stuff about bothering earthworms to have anything to do with the matter.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing wrong with detecting in a park, it is the retrieval methods that get you in trouble. Namely digging. Why do all detectorist think they have to dig to get a coin out of the dirt. I use a screw driver in grass and like Tom, you can not tell I was there even if someone pointed out where I got the coin.

You do not march into the park office and ask if metal detecting is allowed. Do you go in there to ask if you can throw your Frisbie for the dog? If you already know it isn't allowed stay out with a detector till you can get the rules reversed. If approached by park personel show them all the junk you found. Carry a trash bag for picking up paper trash too. Many parks that were closed to detecting I have been allowed to hunt because the managers knew I was helping them with the clean up. I also leave my business card in case a guest loses a item that I can find for them.

Don't ask for trouble by carrying a shovel or Lasche in a park.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
There is nothing wrong with detecting in a park, it is the retrieval methods that get you in trouble. Namely digging. Why do all detectorist think they have to dig to get a coin out of the dirt. I use a screw driver in grass and like Tom, you can not tell I was there even if someone pointed out where I got the coin.

You do not march into the park office and ask if metal detecting is allowed. Do you go in there to ask if you can throw your Frisbie for the dog? If you already know it isn't allowed stay out with a detector till you can get the rules reversed. If approached by park personel show them all the junk you found. Carry a trash bag for picking up paper trash too. Many parks that were closed to detecting I have been allowed to hunt because the managers knew I was helping them with the clean up. I also leave my business card in case a guest loses a item that I can find for them.

Sandman said:

I agree

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I might as well go to the park in a g-string if I cannot bring my Lesche. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread