Need Info on Radio Shack Detector

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Hi I got a great deal on a Radio Shack detector...Free!! It is a very basic one, model number on it 63-3005 It is missing the battery cover but it works. I did find some info on it on the RS website but was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have any experience with it. I plan on letting my grandkids use it. It has discrimination dial, tune dial, volume control and a headset plug. Also battery check and operate mode. Was not sure the proper forum for this.

Attachments

• IMG_1666b.JPG
    IMG_1666b.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,227
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your grand kids will love it. They won't care if it isn't the best, it beeps and that is all that counts. It will spark an interest in collecting stuff.

My grand daughter wanted to detect so I threw out some change on the grass an showed her how to use the Fisher 1235. In no time she had all the coins and handed me back the detector and said, "I am done with this." She then went into the house to watch Sponge Bob.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one of these for my dad 20+ years ago and I still have it. I think he used it to find nails in the yard after a new roof. That's about all it is good for. I found it impossible to ground balance properly and I think you have to push that red button to reset the machine after getting a good/strong signal.

That said, if you can get it to find coins in the grass, the kids should have some fun with it.

DCMatt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth what you paid! ;D

I think that was my very first detector when I was about 12. That's a funny memory and this is the first time I have thought back to those couple days. (It was returned and I didn't start detecting until age 28)

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just perusing the forum here and ran into this post. It's funny because this is the first detector I ever owned (and still use it!). It works okay and I have found almost 100 coins in the 2-3 days I have used it, mostly hunting local parks. (Nothing of any great value but some Wheat pennies and a couple pieces of cheap jewelry) I'm saving up all the coins in order to finance a much better detector and hope to have one someday. I guess the one thing I really like about this model is that it fits in my bike messenger bag when it's packed up. Kind of fun to have it handy if I run across a decent spot on my wanderings to and from work. You never know when you might find a place that has potential!

(The operating manual is still available online for this model)

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I used to have a radioshack spiecal, it was to confusing to use.
the only thing that will find is ore. the 1 i had detected silver ore.
that's a kiddy toy.
you have better luck with a bounty hunter or white's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread