F75 Special Edition versus F75 Limited Edition ??? What are the differences?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question. From what I can gather the LTD has a "boost" feature and there is also a cache mode (The SE has four modes - default, bottlecaps, plowed field and jewelry). I'm dying to know just what the boost does for you. My assumption is it kicks the detector into high gain from any mode and discrimination setting. On the SE you get high gain in jewelry at all times or by setting the discrimination lower than 5 or higher than 19 in other modes.

I can seldom run the sensitivity higher than 90, usually much less, so I have convinced myself I don't need the LTD version (which is no longer available, I understand).

LOVE to know whether the software of the SE can be upgraded to LTD if is is something else and presumably a new release and not just a slightly updated version. F75 v 1.2 (F75 v 1.1 being the weatherproofing & battery box upgrade).

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Inquiring minds need to know, I would upgrade too.

OP
OP
N

Nefarious

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
I've since learned from another source that the LTD edition also has a faster processor giving (among other things) more depth and sensitivity - so it is not just the new software modes apparently and therefore updating the software alone would still not make them equal.

Too bad this F75 Limited Edition version is not available any more.

But you know that with the electronics it is just a matter of time before Fisher make more of them available - processors are getting faster and cheaper all the time so continuing to buy slower processors makes no sense.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Jason, I think you are correct. I have the LTD and looking at the specs on the Fisher site I'm pretty sure the only difference is the color. The LTD is camo and the new special edition is gonna be all black. I'm stuck in an ugly winter so I haven't had a lot of time with the LTD in the field yet but what little I have used it so far has been impressive.

DK

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
The LTD has an upgraded/faster microprocessor to accommodate the new BP (boost) and CL (cache) modes. FRL has toiled with the names loosely when it comes to the F75 line IMHO. First there was the original F75, then they packaged the same F75 in a "Special Edition" box, yet nothing was different about it (maybe it came with a free rain cover?), then they came out with the LTD in camo, and then they ticked a few people off by announcing the new SE LTD or whatever you want to call it, which is the same as the LTD aside from it's black vs camo. So much for "Limited".

I've been running it almost exclusively in boost mode and have been, for the most part, very impressed with both it's speed as well as it depth. TID still leaves a bit to be desired on some targets, although a couple of weeks ago I dug my deepest silver with it yet at an honest abe 10"-11" deep standling liberty quarter (my Garrett Propointer went all the way in the hole with a couple of inches before the top of the hole (not the top of the grass either) and the Propointer is 9" long), AND it properly ID'd it, it was a good strong signal and I was hunting with FOUR other Etrac users walking right over the same areas, so I have no idea how they missed it :thumbsup: (see writeup about that here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,299853.msg2164486.html#msg2164486).

I did a review of the LTD after the first week I had it:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,285058.msg2040370.html#msg2040370

Also did my first video of a recent hunt with the LTD:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,301347.msg2175308.html#msg2175308

So in a nut shell, the upcoming black and existing camo LTD/SE are the same machine, you just have to pick whether you like camo (which is actually very nice in person, it's more like a nature scene vs a military camo design) or the standard old boring black ::)
HH,
Brian

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good review.

Bummer that it is upgraded circuitry. I don't want to sell my F75SE. ;D

You mentioned you wish it had a stand. I made one after adding the SunRay pinpointer to keep it upright. BIG help on wet grass, too.

Weighs almost nothing and is a great addition. Made out of a piece of 1" dowel and two pieces of 5/16" dowel; plus a 1-1/4" stub that fits in an existing hole in the shaft to keep it centered and firm. It's held to the shaft with two crossed Nylon cable ties.

Attachments

• HPIM1704.JPG
    HPIM1704.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 858
  • HPIM1338s.jpg
    HPIM1338s.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 796
  • HPIM1340s.jpg
    HPIM1340s.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 696
  • HPIM1348s.jpg
    HPIM1348s.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 854
  • HPIM1351s.jpg
    HPIM1351s.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 868
  • HPIM1704.JPG
    HPIM1704.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 695
OP
OP
N

Nefarious

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
Cal_Cobra said:
So in a nut shell, the upcoming black and existing camo LTD/SE are the same machine, you just have to pick whether you like camo (which is actually very nice in person, it's more like a nature scene vs a military camo design) or the standard old boring black ::)

This is very educational folks. So are you saying that there is a newer LTD version coming out soon with the faster processor? Any idea how soon that will happen?

I'd like to acquire an F75 but for that money I'll be holding out for the latest and greatest.

Cheers and thanks again for all this great info!

Bob

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nefarious said:
Cal_Cobra said:

This is very educational folks. So are you saying that there is a newer LTD version coming out soon with the faster processor? Any idea how soon that will happen?

I'd like to acquire an F75 but for that money I'll be holding out for the latest and greatest.

Cheers and thanks again for all this great info!

Bob

No the LTD that's already out has the new microprocessor, and the "new" black LTD/SE (or whatever they decide to call it) coming soon to a Fisher dealer near you, will be identical aside from the color change.

If you want to hold onto your money for the latest and greatest, I'd wait until the end of the year, as I'll almost guarantee they'll have the F80 coming to coincide with their 80th anniversary next year, but most likely it'll be released at the end of this year (just like cars, you can buy next years model at the end of the current year).

Brian

OP
OP
N

Nefarious

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
Hi Brian - that might be a good tip. But I just hope that they don't bring out the F100 instead in ~25 years from now ;D

Bob

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nefarious said:
Hi Brian - that might be a good tip. But I just hope that they don't bring out the F100 instead in ~25 years from now ;D

Bob

Who knows what metal detectors will be like in 25 years, heck who knows if we'll even be allowed to metal detect in 25 years :nono:

Brian

OP
OP
N

Nefarious

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
Cal_Cobra said:
Nefarious said:

Bob

Who knows what metal detectors will be like in 25 years, heck who knows if we'll even be allowed to metal detect in 25 years :nono:

Brian

Perhaps they'll incorporate their own sophisticated ground penetrating radar (or sonar) so that you can see a picture on the screen of exactly what it is before you even dig it.

That would be KEWL!

OP
OP
N

Nefarious

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
Re: F75 Special Edition versus F75 Limited Edition ??? F80 coming!

So I just heard a story that the F75 "limited edition" was a spinoff from the development process going into their upcoming F80.

So it seems you were perhaps right Brian - time to start saving your $$$ for the new F80 model.

Wonder when it will be released.

:icon_thumleft:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think the F80 if and, when it comes out will be in the same price range of the F75's or will they be setting a new standard there too :) ??
I was saving up for another detector as a Christmas present so yay.. F80

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good review.

Bummer that it is upgraded circuitry. I don't want to sell my F75SE. ;D

You mentioned you wish it had a stand. I made one after adding the SunRay pinpointer to keep it upright. BIG help on wet grass, too.

Weighs almost nothing and is a great addition. Made out of a piece of 1" dowel and two pieces of 5/16" dowel; plus a 1-1/4" stub that fits in an existing hole in the shaft to keep it centered and firm. It's held to the shaft with two crossed Nylon cable ties.

Wow that's a great idea !
Hate my favorite detectors falling over!
I must construct a few, well for all but, my Chinese GC detector that is :).

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help:BangHead:

Ok before I get royally confused, can someone tell me the difference on the F75 releases since inception and the differences when Fisher came out with these series?

Is there not a F75 SE LTD version as well? Does it combine the F75 SE, and the F75LTD together?? Also was there not a Anniversary edition release not to long ago as well?? Also there is a F70 and just F75 version is this worth looking at as well if one was interested?

Oh and now I see a Fisher F75 LTD2, a F75 DST, a FISHER SPECIAL EDITION LTD2 with DST, FA, Boost and Cache Mode Version 9.0 and a F75 being sent in for an upgrade?:tongue3:

OK !!! I Read Cal_Cobra comments earlier help to make a little more sense to my above questions any one else want's to reply go ahead. I am wondering though what would be the best detector for coils, features, and price to go with though.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning in purchasing a new Fisher 75, plus a new Pin Pointer in April or May when it gets warmer in Connecticut.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a F75 LTD I put a 13" Detech Ultimate DD and it is a BEAST. I hit a 1911 Wheatie at 11". Great machine.

I know, I know ...it should have been a INDIAN!!!! Uggggh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Help:BangHead:

Ok before I get royally confused, can someone tell me the difference on the F75 releases since inception and the differences when Fisher came out with these series?

Is there not a F75 SE LTD version as well? Does it combine the F75 SE, and the F75LTD together?? Also was there not a Anniversary edition release not to long ago as well?? Also there is a F70 and just F75 version is this worth looking at as well if one was interested?

Oh and now I see a Fisher F75 LTD2, a F75 DST, a FISHER SPECIAL EDITION LTD2 with DST, FA, Boost and Cache Mode Version 9.0 and a F75 being sent in for an upgrade?:tongue3:

OK !!! I Read Cal_Cobra comments earlier help to make a little more sense to my above questions any one else want's to reply go ahead. I am wondering though what would be the best detector for coils, features, and price to go with though.

Thanks.

The basic F75 came out first, a little while later the F70 that was programmed a bit differently but had something new called SL speed, boost, which was tweaked some then added to newer model F75's I assume that were renamed the SE's.
There seemed to be a few more versions of F75's over the years, SE, LTD, but pretty similar models with what might be a few more programs and/or settings but the basic abilities they all possess seemed to be about the same.
If you learn them they were all deep and productive.
The newest incantations have DST, a publicized and pretty popular new feature to quiet them all down, but I suspect there have been many other behind the scenes tweaks and upgrades to the programming along the way none of which were ever talked about or even mentioned.
The engineers at FTP don't seem like the types to sit on their laurels or ever be truly satisfied with their success.

I hunt with an F70, primitive by flagship levels and missing many features the F75's have but also with those same natural abilities as the flagship IMO.
I can get shockingly deep, I can find targets in extremely difficult sites like heavy trash and iron, I might not have all those extra features or DST that could possibly make things a bit easier but there are always workarounds that can achieve the same things with a little work and knowledge.
Even Dave J. has stated that nobody that uses an F70 should regret using it over any of those flagship models and I believe the same should be thought of using one revision or model over the other regarding most of the F75's.
The basics and innate natural abilities are there on all of them, picking between them is like trying to decide between different colors or features on Cadillac's....at their core they are all still Caddy's.

Pick one with the specific features you want and go for it, learn it well and the rewards will be plenty.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread