Whites Spectra vs MXT vs DFX

Relic Wench

Greenie
Feb 13, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 505
I visited a local metal detector dealer and spent a few hours going over various models. I am new to detectors and will primarily be looking to search old homesites for coins, relics, jewelry, etc.

I dont want to start out with a cheap unit and have to upgrade down the road. I want something that has good depth and discrimination while being easy to use and not too complicated.

Right now I am leaning towards the Whites Spectra V3 partly because they are currently offering a free Prizm III with purchase. The free Prizm could be used by whoever I take with me since I would like to avoid hiking alone in remote areas. The Spectra also includes wireless headphones that I believe retail for 200-300 dollars. I have heard mixed reviews on the D2 coils that also come on the Spectra.

Based on my needs, would you go with:

Whites Spectra with wireless headphones, D2 coil and free Prizm III unit for 1,699. retail
MXT 799. retail
DFX 1, 199. retail

Or...is there another unit of any brand that is highly recommended for new users. These units seem VERY expensive so it would be nice to find a more middle of the road unit price-wise that would be comparable to the features listed on the above models.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
The V3 is really in a class of its own, even compared to other whites detectors, that being said I believe the v3 is worth the money, I have one and have done pretty well even in hunted out areas. The v3 does have ALOT of things to monkey with on it, and does require some understanding to mess with the settings, as for turn on and go, yes you can do that also but I am more of a mess with stuff kinda person, which leads me to another reason why the v3 is pretty good, If you booger something up and dont remember what you did, you can reset the program back to factory settings with just a few pushes of buttons.

As for a comparison, I wen from a xlt to the v3, big diffrence IMO. In a few weeks, hopefully this craptacular winter will be over and a friend of mine wants to do a comparison of a dfx to my v3. If it ever happens Im sure we will do a post. As for the thing you mentioned about coils, I dont have any trouble with mine, yeah I did see some posts around the net about some people having trouble, I wouldnt sweat that though if you would get a bum coil whites customer service is outstanding.

Oh, that retail price is a tad high, look around you can get a better price than the listed retail, I for one skipped the wireless headphones, I like the plug in ones, it also knocked 200 of the price not getting them. If you do skip the headphones be sure to get a higher end headphone, I use the sunray progolds and find them quit comfy.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All are good machines for getting started. Everything after that depends on you.
Some want to make adjustments others just want to go. It's all about learning your machine and getting out to hunt. Been back many times to sites I've hunted before, time and patience and maybe luck all play a part in finding goodies. DFW

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
All are great machines and you wouldn't be operating short handed with any of the three. IMHO....get the V if money is no object...why? Because if you don't you will always wonder if you should have, the V will do everything the other two will do plus a lot more.....when you master it. Therein lies the key......learning the machine, whichever one you choose will require patience, time and experience.
I have hunted side by side with a "newbie" using a V3 while I was swinging my DFX in it's fourth year.....and....I have to admit, while checking signals with each other the V hit several targets that the DFX stayed quiet on, one being a very nice tombac button at only about 6" deep.
Get what you can afford, study it....swing it.....listen to it....AND.....dig way too much trash in the first 6 months so you can understand what it's telling you!!

Good Luck & HH

Dave

OP
OP
Relic Wench

Relic Wench

Greenie
Feb 13, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 505
Thanks for the advice, guys.

From the looks of the Whites I tested above, it does seem like thay are pretty complicated and I do not want to spend all my time missing targets and learning how to work with the machine.

I was browsing the Minelabs and it looks like the X Terra 550 may be a better starting option. I initially leaned away from them because they are not US made, but I assume all these machines are made from chinese components anyways - maybe i'm wrong.

The one variable I have here in Ohio is a lot of iron in the soil and I was told the ground balancing on the minelabs is pretty good for that.

~Deidre

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cant say about the other detectors, but i started with the dfx about 2 years ago, its the only detector i have ever used.
i always use the preset programs(mostly the jewelry and coin setting), it have worked great for me, turn on and swing...
i am just now getting to really know the machine and am starting to look into tweaking the setting to suit my needs better.
there are a lot of them, but ill figure it out.
i would not be deterred by all the setting the dfx has, just use the presets till you need more then tweak it!
if the only beef it that it takes a few second the set a setting on it, well that's a minor inconvenience to me.
i would get the v if i was buying a new detector.
good luck and happy hunting!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R W you will miss targets. We all do, thats why we go back, bring buddies in on the hunt, dig iffy targets, and so on. Same machine two different hunters will find or miss something. HH DFW

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
TORRERO said:

EPIC contribution...

::)

I have a DFX but want a Spectra, so I wanted to watch this thread and see what is being said.
but to get all the updates you have to post... something...
So I did...

I like my DFX by the way... but I also like the idea of wireless headphones..

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it says "made in USA" it still will have chinese parts inside.

Same as a Ford/Chevy. Look under the hood and most will say "made in mexico" or "made in canada" I found alot of parts on my toyota that were made right here in USA. Which is more american? Im thinking toyota....

Anyways.....

I like the simplicity of the MXT and its not much, if at all any less of a machine performance wise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread