flipping coins

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
just curious if anybody knows how to use a screwdriver or something to flip a coin instead of digging plugs. I want to hit up soccer fields, but i feel like digging plugs is disrespectful on someones field, being an athlete i even hate when somebody wears black soled shoes on basketball courts. >:( So i can only image someones cleat landing on a previously dug plug. If there's any videos or explanations i would love to hear form you guys. :read2:

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this for years and can give some insight...
I carry a flat head screwdriver with me when I hunt, in one back pocket and my digger in the other..
Coins that seem to be less than 3' deep are for me relatively easy to pop out with a SD... (Screw Driver)
But the big issue is pinpointing....
you will find after hours of practice that if you can't pinpoint that target you will have a thousand small holes and still not hit your target...
That said, if you can pinpoint your "coin" then hopfully its flat in the ground, you hit it
on top... slide the flat of your SD to the side, and pry up gently... I sometimes make the hole a little bigger to put my finger in, so I can feel the coin and use my finger to get a grip between SD and coin.
If the coin is deeper and I feel I can't POP it out like that... I pinpoint it with the SD and then dig a
small plug around the shaft of the screwdriver and pull it out....
thus leaving a very small plug instead of a large circle plug...
Richard

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna try coin poppin' now, are we? lol You might do better than myself... I just never got into doing it. I'd rather just dig a small plug. :dontknow:

Bran <><

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember one time when me and a buddy went to a nice football field, and the grass was like
astro turf of something... not artificial but real thick and hard to dig...
Also it was cut low and nice and green...
so we could not poke and flip... too hard...
so we dug small plugs... very sad to do that for a zinc penny...

Two weeks later we went back.... and the field looked like it had chicken pox...
OMG !!!

There were these big white circles all over the field...
LMAS ....

I was so ashamed..

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard of people doing that before. I doubt I'd ever hit really nice grass like that anyway... but for those who do, I heard that carrying a spray bottle (garden variety) filled with Miracle Grow & water does a nice job in keeping that from happening. :laughing7:

Bran <><

Nailbender

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
I use a thin dulled screwdriver as my probe and after I locate my target just make a 3" slice in the sod with my garden knife, the coin can be easily popped out and after stepping on the cut you can't even tell I was there most of the time.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Next time the flippin' won't do it, cut 2 sides of a triangular shaped plug...leave the third side attached to the sod. Roll the triangle over onto its "connected" leg & probe away. When you leave, make sure all the dirt that came out of the hole goes back. (You did put it on a towel didn't you? And if you use a white dish towel, don't EVER wash it. A "dirty" (pun intended) towel is plain & simple evidence that you care!) ;D

Then re-scan the plug & step on it.

My lawn maintenance guy says the smaller the plug, the quicker it will die & turn brown. I guess so, to a point. Course I'm sure he's talking about Bermuda grass.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten coins out with a screwdriver. When I get the signal I use my pin pointer to find out where it is at then I push the screwdriver down trying to get as close as i can and pry the dirt back and find the coin. It is pretty easy after you learn how to do it.......

OP
OP
yournewneighbor

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
BARGuy said:
My lawn maintenance guy says the smaller the plug, the quicker it will die & turn brown. I guess so, to a point. Course I'm sure he's talking about Bermuda grass.

thats all fine and dandy if you are doing it on grass that people arent using cleats on. I'm telling you respecting the field that someone plays on goes a long way. I wont dig a plug on soccer field, because cleats grip the grass, plugs create ungrippable grass. for lack of a better word. and if i think my coin from 50 years ago is more important than little timmy's current soccer game, i have a feeling i'll be out of a hobby quick.

And thanks everybody on the screwdriver advice, i guess i just need to get out and start trying it in regular parks and stuff first so i can figure it out. I'm going to try making the knife cut and then going for it. practice makes perfect i guess. i really wish i could watch a video, does anybody know of a video?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now go to bed! :laughing7:

Bran <><

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all honesty it took me years of practice to get to the point where I can go to a school yard and
hunt mainly with a screwdriver. I've been hunting for more than 25 years, but the real trick to using
a screwdriver is the pinpointing... because if you can't pinpoint a target within 1-2 inches you will be
sorely disappointed, because you will stand there for 20 minutes poking that driver in and out of the ground and not hit anything...
you also need to try to know the difference between metal and rocks... and tree roots...
or how a target might respond to your SD... example... years ago when I used Tesoro's they did not
have a meter so I set it low and poke away.... aluminum foil... driver goes right through..
pulltabs and rings have holes... hard to hit... screw caps seem solid, but you can push that SD through the top and then pull it out without digging a whole..
does the target sound BIG!! ???
Is it a buried can ? your SD will go through with minimal effort......
My buddy who has hunted with me for years still does not know how I can hit a dime 1st time in a
hole... (I don't always) but I can find it 8 out of 10 times without digging... only after years and years of daily practice...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yournewneighbor said:
thanks you all you sirs for your help. ;D

You failed Garms, didn't you?? lol ;D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a very thin screw driver (tweaker) with a six inch shaft. I blunted the tip using my bench grinder. Silver DOES NOT like being poked with a screw driver. My advice is to learn both methods. They each have their places. If you dig a 'u' shaped plug you can flip it over and the grass on top of the plug maintains contact with the surrounding root system. At that point, you can shave dirt back into the whole as you pin point.

GL and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions