middle tennessee

antlr-king

Jan 14, 2010
melbourne,fl
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
my wife's family has an old family farm in waverly, tn. its about 200 acres. her dad built the old farm house back in the middle to late 40's. and her great aunts house that is no longer on the property was built earlier than that. i have been deer hunting that farm for the past 10 years. i just got a metal detector last christmas and plan on taking up there this fall. one of the plowed fields on the property that borders the tn river must be close to 75 acres. bottom land. do you think that there would be any cw relics in that area? your where could i find historic info on that area of tn. humphries county. the farm property borders lorretta lynns property. so needless to say i am very excited about giving it a good once over. not only the big field but around the old farm house and the old house spot of the great aunt....1st pic is the big crop field
Picture032.jpg

this is also the big field
Picture037.jpg

this is the old farm house
Picture031.jpg

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the library and see if they have anything that would date back to the civil war. Or check with the historal clubs in your area.....

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You need an old map that covers the area and is dated anywhere between 1865 and 1890 to tell you if there an old road that ran through the property somewhere. If you have an old road, a water source and a little elevation, you have the makings for a potential civil war camp. But, you really need to have had an old road run through the property somewhere as the army didn't do much open country travelling, but instead got from place to place via the existing roads.

OP
OP
antlr-king

antlr-king

Jan 14, 2010
melbourne,fl
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
i know to the north end of this big field there is an old bridge crossing the river that is completely rusted out. and the wood is all rotten. there is know road leading to this bridge from either side of the river. i will have to further look at that when i get up there this fall.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I went to a map to look at where Waverly is and yes you should be hunting the snot out of it. Being that Waverly is pretty much directly West of Nashville and almost on top of the TN river, and you say there's evidence of an old road you can count on there being some CW stuff out there somewhere on that property. I would do research, starting with the Official Records of the Civil War and if you have the chance a visit to the Archives in Nashville on activity, in and around Waverly. Good Luck!

OP
OP
antlr-king

antlr-king

Jan 14, 2010
melbourne,fl
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
hey thanks for the info. in the back of the big field in the photo is the tn river. it runs the whole lenth of the back part of the field. i will check out the info you mentioned. thanks alot..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread