old gallows

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By all accounts, yes. Can depend on the community I suppose.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya think?
I would have posted a real one but, too graphic.

Attachments

• newgate.jpg
    newgate.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 362

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I thought I read somewhere that a hanging back in the day was comparable to a fair today, meaning the whole family would go out to watch and there'd be vendors there and everything. I know it was a big deal, but was it really a "fair" type atmosphere?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folks have always been drawn to bloodshed and uglyness * watching folks get killed and eatten by lions --human vs human fights to the death ( in old roman times)-- many humans by nature are often drawn to watch such things , humans often like "drama" and watching others suffer or to see "justice" done to the wicked * --plus if one had a "bad seed" kid --what better way to "scare" him straight? than to see where the living "bad life" winds you up at?

yes hanging were a "big" deal ---and of course folks did hawk their wares --food and drink to the crowd prior to the hanging (since very few could eat afterward--it was not a pretty sight to see a person hung )

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Thanks Ivan, I've read abunch that said the same thing you did and you can even see that today in todays sports. Everyone wants to see the hard tackle or see the race car accident or hockey fight. What I wasn't sure of is if it was still a party like get together as recently as the late 1800's. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess if you were born of that era, it wouldn't seem that odd. Do you think it was still a party during the early 1900's, I thought they were more private by then carried out by the local prison or law enforcement.

aaren

Greenie
Feb 15, 2010
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
ivan salis said:
folks have always been drawn to bloodshed and uglyness * watching folks get killed and eatten by lions --human vs human fights to the death ( in old roman times)-- many humans by nature are often drawn to watch such things , humans often like "drama" and watching others suffer or to see "justice" done to the wicked * --plus if one had a "bad seed" kid --what better way to "scare" him straight? than to see where the living "bad life" winds you up at?

yes hanging were a "big" deal ---and of course folks did hawk their wares --food and drink to the crowd prior to the hanging (since very few could eat afterward--it was not a pretty sight to see a person hung )
And now we have reality shows... :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep I'd be "hanging out "where the old 1700 /1800 era gallows was. :icon_thumright:-- it was often a huge "party type" event back thien--- a sort of local super bowl -- of the local good (lawful folks) vs evil (bad folks) ----hanging was for killers and horse theifs and serious crimes as a rule, and if one had a unruly teen aged son -- taking him to see where life on the "wild side" of life wound up ( being hung)--would often "scare em" straight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions