Cant decide. Minelab Safari, E-trac, of Whites MXT?

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truthfully the E-trac is a little out of my price range at just under $1500. How much different is the safari then the e-trac? Does the whites MXT compare to the safari? Most of my hunting is done around parks, fields, fairgrounds, and at the beach hunting jewlery and coins. Wet and dry sand. Which machine should I go with? 99% of my hunting is coins/jewlery. I understand I may have to get 2 machines.... 1 for the beach like a excal. or a sov. GT, and one for the land.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simple. Get the Sovereign GT for the beach AND the land. I know a couple users who do fine on coins. Though I would recommend you get the optional display to help weed out the trash in junk-filled spots.

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im afraid the sov. GT will not be as good on land as some others around the same price. I dont mind buying 2 machines. But want a deep seeking machine. Im upgrading from a Prizm 5. Even though the prizm 5 found me alot of stuff, i still felt I was missing out because of it being a lower end machine.

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
I would say go for the F70. good price every one that has one loves it. it goes deep and it is light. i swung an MXT for a couple of years and I always had the feeling it was missing allot of stuff that was deeper. All the suits I hunted where fairly old "for the west coast" and all I was getting was clad. So I bought a se and my silver finds went way up. But then the economy crashed my job slowed down so I had to sell it. Now I am doing better so I ordered a F75 after a ton of research I was considering the F70 also but went with the ltd75. I would look at the F70 before the MXT. you will get allot more depth with it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't want to suggest the F75 as I don't know how it would do at the beach . . . but it is a killer on inland coins. I know an MXT user who tried mine and bought one a month later. :icon_thumleft:

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former F75 and Tiger Shark user. I like the E-Trac better. I hunt both parks and beaches due to my location. I also like to get in a relic hunt or two in the year. The ET is so much more stable. It IDs better than anthing ive used and it's deep. Only down side is not going into the surf when waves are pounding.

EZ

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I narrowed it down to either......

Minelab safari which uses the same chip and freq. the e-trac uses, so should get the same depth and everything the e-trac does. Just a few less options....

Or....

Minelab SOV. GT - a basic non waterproof version of the excal. II

Which of these would be better for land/beach?

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote would go with the Sov with a meter. I want one myself. The Safari is neat detector. After using both the Safari and ETrac. I went with the ET. There is a world of diffrence between the two.

EZ

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab safari which uses the same chip and freq. the e-trac uses, so should get the same depth and everything the e-trac does. Just a few less options....

Nope! Don't be fooled into thinking the Safari is just a dumbed down E-Trac.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:

Nope! Don't be fooled into thinking the Safari is just a dumbed down E-Trac.

It felt more like a FBS XTerra to me.

idig4

Greenie
Nov 28, 2008
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The Safari is great. Works well at the beach in both wet and dry sand. The e-Trac is all that and more. It is more customizable, faster and comes with more accessories like a rechargeable battery and headphones.

I like them both, but if you can come up with the money, the e-Trac is the one to get.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want beach and inland the Sovereign GT will do it all . My self i dont like the screens those numbers jumping all over up then down will drive you crazy. Every thing i heard about the MXT was that it was not deep on coins and i had one and sold it. And the MXT it is not a deep coin detector.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get A GT I have had most of the High end detectors you mentioned The sov Gt is the best for me ,, great inland and at the beach just learn the tones ,,,,,,,, guzz :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the users who frequently find the most old silver coins in parks, you will see that the bulk of them use an Explorer or E-Trac.

Don't mess with the F75. I've seen them in action. They are not that impressive if you are within city limits and your goal is deep coins.

The MXT won't compete either.

As for the Sov., why use old technology when we have such great target ID and discrimination in newer machines? I'm not saying it's not a good machine, but there are better options for hunting old parks.

Also, talk to a dealer personally. I've heard of lots of people purchasing them brand new for around $1200.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
bscofield6 said:
The MXT won't compete either.

that's odd.....

I have a mason jar full of silver that says otherwise......
EACH YEAR.
:dontknow:

You must have some nice parks to hunt then. I've hunted with MXT users many times and will show them signals that are obvious silver to me and they can't hear them. The same has happened when hunting with DFX users.

I go out hunting in large groups with users of all brands of machines on a regular basis. The only people finding more then 1 or 2 old coins per hunt are explorer / e-trac guys.

I'm not saying your machine isn't capable of finding old coins. I'm just saying that the Explorer/E-trac line will find more on a regular basis.

What state are you in? It says you are in the midwest...

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Spooky 110%!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky....

Well, I don't really dig rings, at least not gold rings. The Explorer just isn't suited for digging gold. When it comes to finding silver / old coins in a park, I am confident that I can compete with anybody. When it comes to hunting side by side non minelabs, I outhunt them in silver anywhere from 5:1 or 10:1. I have never had a non explorer find more old coins than me in a public park. It has never even been a contest.

For example... a guy I know took me out to a spot that he said he hunted out with his DFX. Within 15 minutes I had about 4 wheats and 2 silver. He said we should go somewhere else.

Another example... a guy had been using his new, wonderful spectra V3 (lifelong DFX / White's user) in his yard. A dog fence next door rendered his machine useless no matter what setting he chose. In under an hour I had 4 silver and about a dozen wheats.

The only time I've seen a White's machine impress was my buddy with his M6. It got some good depth. He found a good amount of silver with it. Then one day I showed him some silver signals that he couldn't hear with his machine. He promptly went and bought a used Explorer II and was shocked at how easy it was to go to his 'hunted out' spots and dig multiple silvers.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know there is just far too many variables to make any blanket claims.

Just this weekend I met several other people out detecting that I have never seen before. One guy was using what looked to be a very used Explorer II which said he'd been metal detecting for some 30 years. We got talking about stuff we've found and I was very surprised to hear him say he's found around 150 silver coins over the years. I looked at my hunting buddy and we both gave a confused look. I find more than 150 silver coins in just 2 years of hunting. Other than that he seemed to know his stuff.

Of course experience and know how and where to use a detector helps allot, but really it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time and getting your coil over the target. I myself have hunted areas many many times only to turn around the next time and find silver dimes, quarter and halves that I am at a complete loss as to how they could have been missed, and why now did I find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions