newbie here!!

aaren

Greenie
Feb 15, 2010
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hello all
Just got my firs metal detector for my birthday on Feb 15!! Only been out twice( not counting my backyard ;D) The first time out was a beach over by Lompoc, Ca. Didn't find anything but cans and wire. The second time was at a park here in Bakersfield. Lots of cans, pull tabs, a dime and a 1944 wheat penny. Better. Not sure of the best places to go. I am not really looking for anything specific. I just have fun finding stuff. Although I am beginning to get irritated with cans and pull tabs :wink: Is anyone else on here from the bakersfield area? Would like to talk to someone familiar with this area. Thanks and happy hunting!!
Aaren
P.S. Any tips, suggestions or ideas would be great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aaren

Greenie
Feb 15, 2010
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Thanks. I know soda tabs are everywhere. My grandpa used to have a huge bucket of them. Now I know why :) I need to figure out how to tell the difference in sound. Still learning...
It's still fun and my son loves it. Any reason to get dirty he loves ;D The penny has been my favorite so far ( most likely cause it made me think of my grandpa, he had a ton of the wheat pennies too) My son liked the huge bolt we found. Such a boy. He couldn't wait to give it to my husband. He said " Daddy needs this for his garage"

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet. :headbang:

Those pull tabs are a pain and you can disc them out on hard ground to help you find more coins with what time you have to detect. But at a beach where the digging is easy and the chances of finding more rings increases you need to scoop all sounds.

If your detector starts making more noises in the wet sand you can try to quiet it by turning down the sens. If it won't run stable you are stuck on the dry sand.

OP
OP
A

aaren

Greenie
Feb 15, 2010
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
At the park I went to there is a river, I went down to it and it seemed to do fine in the wet dirt. That is where I found the dime and penny. I kept getting beeps in the grass but didn't want to dig up the grass in the park. I just read a post about how to cut the grass and pull it back, put the dirt on a towel and replace it when done. i think I will try that in the back yard to make sure I can do it without killing the grass then try the grass at the park. So far I have stuck to soft dirt or sand that I can fill back in when I am done without messing anything up. Thanks again!! :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are known to carry a squirt bottle of water to freshen the plugs cut in grass when they are replaced. Being careful and leaving no visible damage is very important, but don't let that stop you from hunting in grassy areas. I hunt a city park ever so often and don't do any more damage, usually less than what the squirrels do. Keep at it and you will love the hobby and soon become addicted! Monty

OP
OP
A

aaren

Greenie
Feb 15, 2010
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Monty
I am pretty sure I am addicted.
And I figure I surly wouldn't hurt that grass more than the squirrels. I was debating this when I was out. I just wasn't sure about the rules when digging on the grass. Not many people out here MDing. Thanks again. As soon as this rain stops i will have to go back out there.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Check out the soccer, football, lacrosse fields. Hunt the sidelines and around the goals. That is where people pile their stuff when they play. Try to find fields used by high school age or older. They have nicer stuff. Dig the pull tabs. It is annoying but eventually you will be holding a ring and all those pull tabs vanish from your memory. I am new to this as well, but this strategy paid off for me.

Most of all it is like fishing. The more you go, the more you will learn and eventually the more you will find.

Good luck, Fathead

OP
OP
A

aaren

Greenie
Feb 15, 2010
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Fathead
I agree it is a lot like fishing. Sometimes you get skunked but it is still fun and you cant beat hanging out outside. ;D And you never know what your gona dig up. I like the suprise.
I took my kids to the park the other day and got the old MD out and found .49 cents.( my first quarter was part of that) I only had it out for 15 or 20 min and was more just keeping myself busy while they played, so all and all I did pretty good.
Have a good weekend

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
aaren, to find bakersfield area hunters, to hook up with and learn some ropes, get on to the Kinzli California forum. That's where all the CA people post, gab, show their stuff, etc... There are Bakersfield area hunters on that forum. To get to the main page of the forum though, you to become a member. But it's easy: just pick a name and password.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Easiest starting area has to be tot lots. Any park that has kids areas with the jungle gyms etc with pea gravel or wood chips. You will quickly learn to find coins with the possibility of nicer items. After parks I would go to high schools, look for playing fields, vollyball courts (easy digging). Try to find old pictures of area schools fairgrounds and such. Hunt vendor and gaming areas as well. If you are worried about the grass it helps to have a pinpointer. The garret propointer is excellent but spendy (worth it tho) Try pinpointing in grassy areas and then just making a single cut over the target prying the sod open and searching the cut for that target. There are also great videos here and on Youtube that show techniques. And finally welcome to Tnet and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread