Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2010
    Bakersfield
    Bounty Hunter

Dry river bed??

Is it worth it to hunt in a dry river bed? Thinking of going out tomorrow and not sure if I wat to hit the river or my mother in laws property. ( she has 5 acres that used to be a pistacio orchard.) Ideas
    Thanks
    Aaren

us
    Aug 2009
    The Ozarks, Missouri
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    81 times
    Relic Hunting

Re: Dry river bed??

I love to hunt dry creek beds in my area. There is one piece of property that I have permission to hunt that has three seasonal creeks that run through it. It has known history of having logging activity on it in the 1870's-1890's. I have found horseshoes, wagon parts, iron stove parts, a pocket knife that is decades old and much more.

Good luck and keep us posted how it works for you if you go.

Doug

us
    Jul 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    4 times

Heavier things settle in the lower areas, yes, good strategy, let mother nature do most of the work for you.
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes.  Gene Roddenberry

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Again....I hunt in spots most people don't think of.

I dug 2 US Civil war box plates Next to different large trees in crowded downtown Restaurants.

People probably think " what the heck is that guy doing"?

But, search everywhere. Treasure is where you find it.

us
    Feb 2010
    Bakersfield
    Bounty Hunter

Thanks everyone. I will let you know what I find

us
    Dec 2009
    Conowingo, MD
    Bounty Hunter 505
    Banner Finds (1)

I would try the creek bed depending on the history and human use of the site. I'm also guessing that there will be plenty of times when you are at your mother-in-law's when you would rather be wandering around outside than doing your family must do's.

Fathead

us
    Apr 2007
    Missouri
    Whites DFX, AT Garrett Pro
    4 times
    Metal Detecting

Keep your eyes open for arrowheads as well.
    Have detector, Will Travel  
                                           RJW

us
    Feb 2010
    Bakersfield
    Bounty Hunter

Well i went down to the river bed, but decided not to hunt there. It is right next to a park and a bridge and there was a lot of creepy people around I am only 5 feet tall and not at all strong. Didn't want to end up on the evening news. Went to another part of town close to the river where I have been out riding before.( There is a horse boarding place there) Not as creepy. Found: 3 bottle caps, 2 and a half pennies( I say 1/2 because one was so corroded I could hardly make out that it was a penny) a broken light bulb, a few scrap metal pieces and an old looking key ( I think it is costume jewelry) Nothing great but still fun. I think I need to get the hubby to come out with me from now on though. I didn't like being alone. I guess I am a bigger chicken than I thought

Apr 2007
    Anaheim, Ca.
    DFX

Not a chicken, just want to stay alive. I have passed a lot of good looking areas because of "creepers" in the area.

And yes, check EVERY patch of dirt. I found a little patch of dirt 2 blocks from down town, about 4 sq. ft. and got a barber quarter, very worn, but none the less, my only barber quarter.
    Paul

Sponsors