Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Upvote 0

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I think your supposed to find out who the owner is and get permission or you could be fined for tresspassing. Ask the nearest neighbor

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my home town abandoned boarded buildings that an eyesore or a hang out for gang bangers are declared a nuisance and torn down. They are usually private owned. However if they are tagged for Urban Development they are owned by the city or county. There should be a plackard in the window if a UD house. I got permission to hunt several of these by calling the City Develpmnet d Department. Watch out for gang banger and dope peddlers hanging out in them. Monty

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, it always belongs to someone. Someone in the area knows. Ask around. I've called real estate co.s, builders etc. and have never been turned down. There is nothing like the feeling you get when searching a property knowing that you have permission. You don't have to look over your shoulder worrying that your going to get in trouble. The hardest part of this hobby for me is asking permission, but it gets easier..Rich.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
richm said:
Remember, it always belongs to someone. Someone in the area knows. Ask around. I've called real estate co.s, builders etc. and have never been turned down. There is nothing like the feeling you get when searching a property knowing that you have permission. You don't have to look over your shoulder worrying that your going to get in trouble. The hardest part of this hobby for me is asking permission, but it gets easier..Rich.

Exactly right on!

John

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it is Federal or State I detect.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I see an abandoned blighted boarded up house, I would not hesitate to hit the yard. But that's just me. Especially if it's eminent domain, forfeited for lack of prop. tax payment, or ....... as the name implies .... abandoned. Or if some nameless faceless coorporation or bank in another state owns it (like repossessions so common in the housing market fall-out), there's probably not anyone remotely close who would even have any say-so, to begin with. But that's just me. Keep in mind you're asking your question on a forum where some people think you need permission to hunt a public sandbox, so what did you think the range of answers would be? ::)

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said there is no such thing as "no one" owning a non public structure. Someone owns it, boarded up, abandoned whatever. Parks, tot lots, sandboxes, schools are a different story. Detect away :wink:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sure, then technically, you guys are right. You must ask to step off the sidewalk. I agree. But as spooky says, you will most likely get a "no" (if you can even get an answer to begin with). Especially when dealing with out-of-state banks (repos in the housing crunch) or persons who've literally abandoned property in blighted neighborhoods. Sorry, I just take abandoned to mean something that's ....... well, abandoned.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I wont do it but I wont judge you for doin it Tom. I know its "wrong" to detect a property without permission but we are talkin about abandoned houses here. You are not there to destroy the property. There is a church that was for sale here in town, I went there a few years ago & just hit an area off the sidewalk. The only signal I dug was a wheat cent so I knew it had potential, so I called the realtor on the sign to ask permission to detect. She was a very rude bi*ch, said no & she would call the cops if I detected any of her properties. I reluctantly left & never went back. I had business cards made up a while ago to help in getting permission, it realy does help a lot, makes you look responsible (me? responsible??? lol) Although I went to the rental management co. that I rent from to ask bout hunting some empty rentals, have rented my house from them for 5 friggen years now, & they completely blew me off. Went there several times & the last time they were downright rude about it. I told them Ive dug the hell outa my yard repeatedly, they jacked my rent up a month later. Bottom line, theres always someplace you can go & detect without fear of breaking the law, even if those laws are stupid & infantile. Stay safe out there. :wink:

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Tom_in_CA said:
If I see an abandoned blighted boarded up house, I would not hesitate to hit the yard. But that's just me. Especially if it's eminent domain, forfeited for lack of prop. tax payment, or ....... as the name implies .... abandoned. Or if some nameless faceless coorporation or bank in another state owns it (like repossessions so common in the housing market fall-out), there's probably not anyone remotely close who would even have any say-so, to begin with. But that's just me. Keep in mind you're asking your question on a forum where some people think you need permission to hunt a public sandbox, so what did you think the range of answers would be? ::)
Yeah, me too

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have jumped the gun a little on this one. I think that I am just leery because the cops in our town will bust you for anything. They still arrest kids for vagrancy! What is this 1956?? It's not like it's a crime infested place either. It's a small quiet community. I detect a school and green here that's been detected for years and even though it's legal to detect there, the cops will pull up and park and just try to intimidate you.When I go to PA. for the summer, I do detect old "abandoned" barns and homesteads that are miles from anywhere. So I guess it's all where you live. Good luck and be safe out there..Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions