1 Barber quarter
    2 Standing Liberty quarters
    4 Silver Washington quarters
    2 Walking Liberty half dollars
    1 Sacawagea $1
    3 Silver Religious Medals
    About $12 in other change
    Some other little neat metal objects

And all of this was in two days of hunting.

Can You Do Better???

Let's hear what you found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll try to get some pictures up next week, but I put most of the coins in holders already so the pics probably won't be the best ones you've seen.

Not being a competition, but some people do like sharing what they got.
While I was detecting, probably eight or nine other detectorist came up to me, asked me what I found, then showed me everything they found, which was waaayy more than me. That seemed like competition, but when I'm done for the day, I don't worry who found more or less than me, I just worry that I did good. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll get some pictures of everything. I don't know how to describe the other little things, but you'll see them in the pictures when I get them.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like another light day

Was that it? No rings, necklaces or watches?

As long as you had fun I suppose it's OK

:tongue3:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was finding that kind of stuff I would be hitting hit everyday for a month....Matt

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeep said:
Sounds like another light day

Was that it? No rings, necklaces or watches?

As long as you had fun I suppose it's OK

:tongue3:
I knew I forgot something. I did manage to find two nice silver rings each about 75-100 years old from the designs and tarnish. Plus I got a small silver cross.

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL HAUL :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• 2222.gif
    2222.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 451
  • yo.gif
    yo.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 446
  • 2222.gif
    2222.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 444
  • yo.gif
    yo.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 445

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
wizard-man, what state are you in? My personal best, was during the 1996-97 storms that hit the CA beaches. On one day, I had 466 coins, of which 46 were silver (back to a few seateds, but mostly mercs, washingtons, a few walkers, etc...), over 100 wheaties, a 1914 $2.50 gold piece, etc... Most came within a single 3 hr. or so window, where targets were so thick, I couldn't move (multiple coins in each basket). But those days are rare. Any beach erosion day with target counts like yours, is a good fun day :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
wizard-man, what state are you in? My personal best, was during the 1996-97 storms that hit the CA beaches. On one day, I had 466 coins, of which 46 were silver (back to a few seateds, but mostly mercs, washingtons, a few walkers, etc...), over 100 wheaties, a 1914 $2.50 gold piece, etc... Most came within a single 3 hr. or so window, where targets were so thick, I couldn't move (multiple coins in each basket). But those days are rare. Any beach erosion day with target counts like yours, is a good fun day :icon_thumleft:
I can't tell you exactly where, but I'm all around the New England coast. Finding so much is so rare today because more people have metal detectors now. I think a lot of people really started metal detecting because of the economy, but what do i know. :laughing7: Nice job though. I haven't gotten any gold this year and have never gotten a gold coin.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MrWizard said:
Tom_in_CA said:
I can't tell you exactly where, but I'm all around the New England coast. Finding so much is so rare today because more people have metal detectors now. I think a lot of people really started metal detecting because of the economy, but what do i know. :laughing7: Nice job though. I haven't gotten any gold this year and have never gotten a gold coin.
Or a camera???

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wait a minutes, you found a haul like that, AND didn't post pictures?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr Wiz

If you flash a wad of $100 bills and let everyone see it, you might get your pocket picked.

Someone crawled through my doggie-door one day and completely wiped out a jewelry box of goodies, including the ancient Chinese coins I had. Silver, gold rings, old coins, etc gone forever. Lucky for me I had others stored in a safer place. It had to be a small person who did that.

This is why I don't post pics for the public to see, the internet is not a safe place, even for online banking. My name is splattered all over the internet now, and it even tells where I live, my age, ph number, hobbies, political preferences, etc.

I do remember finding as much as $5 of coins in a short time, but haven't seen those days in at least 20 years - when the ground was full of stuff. Nearly all the copper hippy things are gone now and people are adding after-market coils to their Minelabs and White's, not necessarily because they aren't deep-detecting - but because they can't find as much any more and hope they can go deeper to find what's left. Unfortunately scrap steel, aluminum, and iron mask so much that we'll never find all of it unless we actually screen it all..

http://dankowskidetectors.com/painful_truth.htm
http://dankowskidetectors.com/

Read Thom's tests and you will see what I mean.

But there is ALWAYS the chance that many things can be found if there is little or zero iron, steel, or aluminum items in the soil. This may well have been the case for your rather unusual success.

LL

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey, I did better. Here is my list.

Total of 31.5 ounce of gold coins

7 lbs of .50c silver

1.5 lbs of silver dimes, all Barbers.

13 crematorium tags

1 leather shoe lace

1 broken chop suey stick

5 paper clips.

All in one hole at 3 ft deep.

See! I did better!

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are the pictures everyones been waiting for.

First pic: IH pennies on top, V-Nickels + Buffalo nickels 2nd and 3rd rows, 3 barber dimes, Barber quarter 1904, Standing Liberty quarter 1930, and silver Washington quarter 1935. Then two Walking Liberty half dollars 1920 + 1945.

Second pic: Mercury dimes + silver Rosevelt dimes.

Next few pics: other small things - some easily identified but others hard to tell.

Then rings!!

Attachments

• HPIM4824.jpg
    HPIM4824.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 233
  • HPIM4822.jpg
    HPIM4822.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 233
  • HPIM4818.jpg
    HPIM4818.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 245
  • HPIM4826.jpg
    HPIM4826.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 229
  • HPIM4827.jpg
    HPIM4827.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 228
  • HPIM4831.jpg
    HPIM4831.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 228
  • HPIM4832.jpg
    HPIM4832.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 251
  • HPIM4833.jpg
    HPIM4833.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 221
  • HPIM4834.jpg
    HPIM4834.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW: the other thing that looks like a coin that has a hole in it has the Empire State Building on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other. Couldn't find anything like it anywhere on the internet. Maybe old, don't know what it's made of. I assume it traveled from New York to the beach where I found it in MA/NH.

PS: The merc that looks real clean came out of the sand like that. I did not clean it in any way other than run it under water when I got home.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
MrWizard said:
BTW: the other thing that looks like a coin that has a hole in it has the Empire State Building on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other. Couldn't find anything like it anywhere on the internet. Maybe old, don't know what it's made of. I assume it traveled from New York to the beach where I found it in MA/NH.

PS: The merc that looks real clean came out of the sand like that. I did not clean it in any way other than run it under water when I got home.
Was you useing a Water or Land detector?

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
MrWizard said:

Was you useing a Water or Land detector?
It was a land detector. A Minelab Sovereign

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions