Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I never had one but Kellyco has them new for $179.00 and that is about the price on Ebay for them i see a used one on Ebay almost over and it is up to about $77.00. And yes what you called it yes it is on the lower end of metal detectors . You said it not me ..EL-Cheapo yes it is. but if it finds coins that is all you need. You found more than i have in 2010 .

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
My impression is that Bounty Hunter detectors have good circuit designs, but are often poorly made with questionable electronic components. I hear a LOT of complaints about Bounty Hunter machines breaking down in the field.

When they work, they are fine. It's just that they don't always work.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may not be the "best" detector out there but I'll bet you'll find more coins and goodies with it than without. Save the coins and trade up when you can.
Luvsdux

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Keppy said:
I never had one but Kellyco has them new for $179.00 and that is about the price on Ebay for them i see a used one on Ebay almost over and it is up to about $77.00. And yes what you called it yes it is on the lower end of metal detectors . You said it not me ..EL-Cheapo yes it is. but if it finds coins that is all you need. You found more than i have in 2010 .
If you mean the coins in my signature, thats for coin roll hunting!! ;D I sure wish i had found that many coins, but so far, the only one i've found was a memmorial penny!! ;D

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not going to get the depth coverage with Bounty Hunter that you have on better detectors, but overall coverage of 3 to 5 inches gets most things lost and lightly covered over. Plan on hunting tot lots, and yards of old houses, relics and trash in wooded and fenceline areas. Things plowed into ground or buried deep at beach are going to be out of range -- you can try but do not expect much.
Get some decent rechargable batteries, I use 9-volt 160mAmpHour Ni-MH for Detector (4 -to- 6 Hours). Fully charged batteries make world of difference in performance. (Use Headphones for longer battery life)

Detector is cheap enough to leave in trunk and not worry about. Couple basic digging tools, Hand Held Studfinder (Centec in metal detect mode) -or- Pinpointer, on belt clip pouch, and you can hunt anytime opportunity presents itself. Practice often, even if you do not dig everything. Practice probing for object to flip coin to surface; -and- digging small 3-sided grass plugs. Get permission to dig, otherwise just check out area and record good spots for later hunting.

Make yourself a test plot along a fence-line containing coins, nails, pultabs and cans/jarlids; separate about 1 foot each. Takes about 3 months before soil conditions match (or are similar to) long-term buried objects.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bounty hunter (Radio shack version) 15+ years ago. It was the detector that got me into this hobby. It does what it says and detects metal and because of it simpler design it causes you to dig more targets. I had alot of interesting finds with it and sometimes I like a minimalist approach to this hobby just to test myself. Have fun with it.
HH
John

B

BIG61AL

Let's just say I am a former bounty hunter owner with a heavly stressed ..... former.
>:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread