Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Sep 2004
    Southern California
    MXT/ Sunray probe
    2 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Do most people pull off the pull tab ??

Every time I go hunting a park, I ask myselfe the same question. How did all these pulltabs get here? Some places are literaly carpeted with them! It gets me to wondering. Do most people remove them from the can? I can't remember EVER removing one from the can! Why would you!? They are made to STAY ON THE CAN!
    I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years!
    I guess the only good thing about it is that if it wasn't for pulltabs, everyone would be out detecting.
    Anyway, I just had to vent. I feel better now. (not)

May 2005
    Maine
    Minelab Etrac Fisher F75 SE
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Do most people pull off the pull tab ??

I always wondered this myself. I can see the old style where you had to pull it off, but not the kind thats been around since I was a kid. So if your doing it wrong, so am I.

us
    You stay classy TreasureNet

Oct 2006
    West Haven, UT
    Minelab Explorer SE PRO
    56 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

No. Sometimes they throw down the whole can then some ground crew runs over it several times with a very large lawn mower.

us
    Mar 2009
    Springfield Mo.
    Whites m6
    40 times

Your definitly not the only one whose wondered that. I've always imagined it to be a kid thing or something, but I think its just a habit for a lot of people to do. BAD HABIT!!!!

us
    Let's go diggin!!!

Dec 2009
    G P, Illinois
    DFX
    96 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Just the litterbugs!! They throw them, we dig'em, detectorist have to get permits or banned from hunting the parks all together.

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    116 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I pull them off cause the school saves them for hospitals and Ronald's McDonald's House. But I don't throw them down......Matt
    CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

us
    Apr 2009
    Madison, CT
    White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
    6 times

I don't find many of the newer rectangle ones. I usually find the rings off of the older ones. I've seen kids doodling and bending the newer ones till they break off.

us
    Sep 2004
    Southern California
    MXT/ Sunray probe
    2 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by richm
    I don't find many of the newer rectangle ones. I usually find the rings off of the older ones. I've seen kids doodling and bending the newer ones till they break off.
    You must hunt only older sites. Or they do things differently where you live! Every park I hunt around here that is still in use has modern pulltabs everywhere!! Heck, some places around picknick tabels for instance produce several modern pulltabs with every sweep of the coil! It gets to where I welcome the occasional ring type tab because it tells me the area may produce some older stuff. I often hear the old mantra "dig everything" so I try to, but its hard.

us
    Mar 2010
    Tulsa
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star

I once saw a child MD'ing and his mother took the top off of her soda can an threw it out into the field, she told her son to find it, i dont think he ever did
    The economy is so bad motel 6 wont even leave the lights on any more

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    Florida- Somewhere in the middle
    MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I know I would like to slap the shiat out of anyone that does... It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Although I disagree with throwing anything down, at least it makes more sense if it is made to be detachable to use the product (gum wrappers, etc.).. But it must be some really nervous people that find the need to wiggle it back and forth 10 times just to throw it on the ground... People really are pigs... I asked a young girl and her friend once recently when they were inquiring about my MD'ing if they did, and why?
    They both looked at me with really big eyes and said "I never do that", but you could tell by their faces that they did.... At least I may have planted a seed.. Especially when I stated what lazy pigs I thought the people were who did it... Yeah, I say it like I feel it...
    You never think you need an extra machine, until the one you have breaks down...

us
    Oct 2005
    North Prairie, Wisconsin
    Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado ÁMAX Tesoro Silver ÁMAX

I hope there's a special spot in h*ll reserved for the guy who invented the pulltab!

us
    Jun 2009
    Hampstead N.C.
    Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
    122 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

I think i am the only one digging in wrightsville beach N.C. ...I hunt the beach three times a week ,2 to 3hrs each trip.I always get a pouch full of the pull tabs,foil,cancer packs,just alot of trash.I guess its also {cool} to bury your drink cans.

us
    Oct 2005
    North Prairie, Wisconsin
    Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado ÁMAX Tesoro Silver ÁMAX

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Relic
    I hope there's a special spot in h*ll reserved for the guy who invented the pulltab!
    http://www.neatorama.com/tag/ermal-fraze/
    I'll take back my wish. With a name like Ermal Cleon Fraze, the guy had suffered enough. RIP, Ermal.

us
    Jan 2010
    GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
    1 times

Guess I'm gonna go to hell I pull the tab to mark my drink in company~ helps to stave off indirect
    kiss's from my buddies. However I do put the tab in the trash or my pocket because I reeaaallllyyy
    dont need to be digging it up later. Honestly though most people pull them off out of boredom as
    it gives thier fingers something to do. Its good practice, digging pull tabs, is my thought even if it
    is fustrating. Cant say how many times a mondern or old beaver tail tab has turned into a ring or
    kids toy while digg'n and digg'n those little jewels of annoyance.
    As long as you keep dropping coins I'll keep finding them.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    Florida- Somewhere in the middle
    MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Your post reminds me of my dilemma..... I have yet to find ANYTHING besides a modern tab with my MXT on VDI of 24-26.... All of my ring finds (nice and junk) have either showed as foil, nickel, 1cent/10cent, or up in the higher numbers (80 or >)...
    If I had a DFX, I would certainly be programming it to disc out anything 24-26...
    I wonder how many MXT users have actually found rings att 24-26??
    I definitely dig all 28 and above VDI's though...
    You never think you need an extra machine, until the one you have breaks down...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors