Another electrolysis question

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quick electrolysis question concerning rust removal from iron. I have an old, dug cast iron stove door. I have been working on cleaning the rust off of it. It has had about 20-25 hours of time in the electrolysis bath so far. I am running 400mA. I have been able to get 95%-98% of the rust off this way. There are some stubborn spots that have not loosened at all. I have even tried hitting some of these spots on the back of the door with a wire brush without much luck. What is the best way of finishing off this project? Is there a particular method of getting the last little bits of rust off? This door has some beautiful scroll work and lettering on it and I want it to look the best that I can.

Thanks for your help.
Doug

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
some spots will never come back off. if you've been working on it that long and they still won't come off
I don't think they will come off

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try touching those spots up with OSPHO. It is a rust remover/inhibitor that has been around for ages. It converts rust (iron oxide) to iron phospate and is black when it's done. It can also be painted over.

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GibH said:
You might try touching those spots up with OSPHO. It is a rust remover/inhibitor that has been around for ages. It converts rust (iron oxide) to iron phospate and is black when it's done. It can also be painted over.

I will see if I can find some. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Naval jelly will be much easier for me to get a hold of. Off to the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions