Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Detector Swinging ?

I have seen hunters swing like a grass whip an walk fast depending pure luck to get them a beep. I've even seen one dude dragging the coil behind him as he walked. When he got a beep he'd stop and swing normal to check it out.

I guess what ever floats your boat an so long as you are having fun, go at it........... :laughing7:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

With me it depends. If I'm trying a new spot I will hunt faster than if I'm digging a sptt I already know. In a new spot I will hunt fairly fast until I get into something the slow down. If I'm in an area that has already produced relics or coins I walk slowly and swing slowly.

Canman

Dec 6, 2009
Scottsboro AL
Detector(s) used
Omega8000, Silver Umax

All depends on how close it is to dark.If the sun is headed over the mountain and the light is getting dim.I will speed up a bit.Practice with your machine will be what tells u how fast to swing. :thumbsup:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All depends on the detector you are using at the time or the way it has been set up. There was a post a couple of weeks back saying that on retirement he had taken up beach detecting. Very happy with his Sovereign slowly and steadily working down his local beach and doing fairly well. He then came up with the gem that when he lived above a beach many years back he remembered watching detecting going on and the coils were flashing back and forth in the summer sun at high speed and he thought it looked a little bit to much like hard work. He thinks they must have missed more than they found.
What he didn't realise is that early motion machines were four filter motion designs that needed a whipping motion to work. Gradually they slowed the speed required to a fairly fast sweep but still not a slow one if you wanted depth and good I.D.

If you have a four filter machine you still need to use a fast sweep which is why many still use them for beaches so you can cover the maximum area in the least time.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely depends on the detector. I can swing my Conquistador a lot faster than I can the Sovereign I just got. With the Cleansweep coil I can walk almost normal speed. I can cover a lot of area quick with it. The Sovereign is a lot deeper and stable on wet sand. I can't wait to get a WOT coil for it.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000

Depends if my wife is somewhere around. If she is behind me I'll walk fast without much swinging. If she is somewhere in front of me I'll walk slow, maybe even backwards. Whenever I'm alone then I walk slow, swing slow and enjoy myself.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Vaquero prefers a slow swing.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I walk very slow and swing very fast, overlapping the last sweep. The F75 has a very speedy seperation/recovery time and it actually hits deeper and more accurately with a faster swing.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've been finding a lot of deep silver in the parks of San Francisco over the years. When deep silver is present I will take one step and swing my coil back and forth several times overlapping my sweeps. I will never walk and sweep. I visualize my coil as if it were the size of a silver dollar. Those coins at extreme depth (7 - 10 inches) will sometimes give only a faint tick on any machine. If you walk and sweep you are going to miss much of the deep stuff. So its just one step at a time, swinging 6 to 8 time between steps.

-Sonoma County Mike

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wrecker said:
Depends if my wife is somewhere around. If she is behind me I'll walk fast without much swinging. If she is somewhere in front of me I'll walk slow, maybe even backwards. Whenever I'm alone then I walk slow, swing slow and enjoy myself.

:sign10: Dang, Wrecker, that presents an amazing mental picture that is one of those "spewing coffee on the computer screen" moments. :laughing7:

My technique is "on the ground" and "slow". That's what coil covers are for; lets you slide the coil on the ground. Don't put extra force on it, just let it's own weight rest on it. Then "paint" the ground with the coil; overlapping big time as you go. That's so those DEEP coins are not missed by that small tip of the electro-mag field of the coil. If I'm on a site with fairly new targets, I can overlap less for speed. Tot lots are a good example of that. Old home sites, school sites, etc. get the slow and large overlap technique. If you don't overlap, you'll be missing that standing liberty quarter at 10 inches. But, don't worry. I'll get it when I get there and THANK YOU for your contribution to MY collection. :thumbsup:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My MXT seems to work a lot better with a moderately slow swing... Of course,, I dont cover as much ground as I like to, but I find that a nice, slow swing will pick up targets with a really nice solid tone that if I swing too fast over it it comes through with a sound like something is being disc'd out.. I have purposely tried fast to see how many targets I can find, then gone back over it with the slow swing and found quarters that were just a faint/broken signal like a small piece of foil would give you... I will never swing fast again...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread