great site/anyone interested?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
President Grant stayed there, as did tens of thousands of others between 1824 and 1962. Check out this former hotel site perched on a high cliff. It takes a bit of a hike, not too bad, to get there and it's an $8 fee to enter the area. On a clear day you can see five states from where the hotel once perched on the cliff. I'm sure the hotel site (now grass area on cliff) has been detected over the years. It's about the size of a football field. However, below the cliff is a bit more challenging to get to and I bet stuff was thrown, lost or even dumped off the edge over the decades. There's also a large area of woods and hills adjacent the hotel that would likely yield interesting finds, as well as along the two lakes where they indicate people used it for recreation. The view alone is worth the trip and there's plenty of property to search. If anyone wants to join me, I'm planning a weekday trip in the next couple of weeks. I was there once before (not detecting) and there may have been one other group of hikers, but should be quiet during the week. In the area of New Paltz, New York. If you decide to go on your own, would be interested in a report back on any finds.
(scroll down this link to see series of photos)
http://catskillarchive.com/mtnhouse/

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow, that looks like a great site. What do the lakes out back look like these days? Are you taking a water machine? Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I stick to above ground or just below the surface of water. I recall one of the lakes has a modern swimming beach with sand, but during the off season nobody is around. There's other parts of the lake that probably were well used in the 1800s and later, so the whole area seems like a good option to check. Not sure about the other lake. I'll report back any finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread