Favorite Detecting Environment

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Definitely playgrounds.....or wherever kids are or were. I hit the grass just outside of the Boys' Club Saturday for about an hour and got $3.98. My best day so far, not counting ring finding days.

Second choice has to be gold fields, though I haven't had my new Minelab Eureka Gold out but once and didn't do any good, gold-wise. :( But next time!!

HH, ya'll!

Kajun

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sidewalk tearouts!

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old house places, around the large trees and clothesline. Also around the barn or outhouse, in the fields too.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
fairgrounds, the older the better

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Well Mr. Beep, I've been meaning to vote on this since the day you posted the question. And I still can't make up my mind. I haven't been able to do much detecting in the past year so my favorite place right now is anywhere I can find the time to go. When I do get out lately it's been mostly parks so I'll say parks. No wait. Schools. No. My favorite is ball fields. Wait. I meant swimming holes. I bet ghost towns would be great. A lot of good stuff comes from sidewalk tearups though. Does that answer your question? ;D

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I know...that's why I phrased it "If you had to choose..." It's still hard. I chose the beach since I really like it and the digging is easy. :)

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
O.K Chris I voted for sportsfields. Here's why. Salt water beaches too far away. And Oregons saltwater swimming beaches are few and far between. But I totally understand why you picked them. Ghost towns can have some pretty cool stuff but generally are pretty trashy(old man made iron) and more and more are becoming off limits to detectorists. At least in my neck of the woods.
At a sportsfield you probably won't find anything old but there is usually very little trash and they do hold their share of coins and jewelry. And jewelry is what I've been focusing on lately. Come summertime I want to check out some fresh water swimming holes. Take care Beep!

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good choice...the ring find supports your pick.? I, too, am dying to dive some swimming holes and lakes with my CZ...I'm just having trouble finding them.? There's a park with swimming zones at Lake Conroe a bit North of here.? I'm going to have to drive up there and do some recon.

Chance of finding jewelry = Number Of People? x? Activity? x? Time? x? Ground Cover (grass is great cover for lost jewelry, second only to sand and water)

HH!
TBGO

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
WOW.Not an easy choice.I would say anywhere you can watch the sunrise.while you drink your coffee at 4:30 am.With no one around for hours.

Seebrook Beach Nuclear Power Plant

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't sure if stone foundations fall under home/building sites or ghost towns. Guess it depends how many are in close proximity. :D

This time of year I think I'd like to try beach detecting in the south. The ground outside is frozen solid again after a brief warm spell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions