SINGLE VERSUS MULTI-FREQUENCY GOLD/COIN DETECTOR

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
I read that multi-frequency detectors do a better job than single frequency detectors in depth penetration and handling bad ground mineralization.

I also read that single purpose detectors for gold nugget hunting or coin shooting would be better than a multi-purpose detector.

Be that as it may, I would be interested in detecting for gold coins and gold objects. Most urbanites don't have easy access to gold nugget country.

Any suggestions for a multi-frequency, multi-purpose gold detector?

I have an old Compass Gold Pro detector which is a ?single frequency multi-purpose gold detector. I have developed a great deal of respect for it. I would like to move up to the digital age.

Peter

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll start right off and tell you I have no background in gold hunting, but can pass along some things I've picked up in reading.

Single vs. multi? ?A good question. ?The August 2003 issue of W&E Treasures has back-to back ads for for Fisher and Garrett. ?Garrett claims single frequency penetrates deeper "with one strong signal that delivers clear target identification information". ?Fisher claimed the multiple frequencies "induce magnetic fields into the metal objects" and other winderful things. ?Personally, I believe the soil conditions and minerilization of different spots will favor certain frequencies at certain times. ?If you have a single frequency on the RIGHT frequency you'll be hot.

For gold, you should check out the Minelabs. ?They were designed originally for gold and that is where they shine. ? ;D ?The higher frequencies, 18.75 khz up to 60 khz, work better on the tiny nuggets. ?I do believe the higher the frequency the less it penetrates soil. ?

For multi use, it's a toss up. ?Some will be better at coins than gold & vice versa. ?The big $ units will probably be better overall.

Willy

I've had a CZ6a, 3 BBS detectors, and tons of other single freq. ones. The CZ6a I DID prospect with and it was getting 1-2 grain nuggets. The BBS units were, plain and simple, disappointing machines. You'll probably get a Minelab flunky in here praising 'em to high heaven and claiming that I don't know how to use one or the detectors were defective or a host of other excuses. Did side by side depth and sensitivity tests (in ground) and the BBS detectors blew chunks. Posted my results and was called crazy. Just goes to show. For gold/coin hunting the MXT or LST are probably your best bet if the focus is more on gold and prospecting... especially in really tough ground. The XTerra 50 & T2 (though I have some issues with it) would probably do pretty well with less of an emphasis on prospecting. The T2 would probably be the better of the 2 for nuggethunting. ..Willy.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lobo is a good machine. Minelab's old XT 18000 with its selectable frequencies seems a good idea though I'm still trying to get hold of one. Multifrequency ? Go on the Australian forums and see what they use, only the rather expensive Minelab P.I.'s. Best value for gold has got to be the MXT and it doubles up as a fine general purpose detector.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you were talking Coin hunting Only I'd say Minelab Explorer (MULTI FREQ.).

However You want to find Gold Nuggets too, I Don't know if any Multi Freq.'s will do a realy
good job.

MY Suggestion,

MINELAB Explorer-2? AND? MINELAB GP-3500

? ?And IF Relic/Treasure hunting, MINELAB Sovereign (BBS)

? ? ? ? ?If your going to do it,

? ? ? ?Do it Right? ?:P

QUOTE: Willy
"Posted my results and was called crazy"

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? You are? ;)? :P

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I'll Blame it on your Ground? there? ;)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?I Guess IF everyone liked the same brand, We'd ONLY have one
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Manufacturer, & No reason for Improvement, or Reasonable Prices.

? ?Minelab flunky ? Not Realy? :D ( I'd Switch brands in a Heartbeat, IF I Believed there was better.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?B E L I E V E R in M I N E L A B ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Y E S? :)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

Willy

When I say Minelab flunky, you could replace it with Tesoro, Troy or any other detector that a person rabidly plugs. I've seen it all too often where someone overinflates a detector's abilities and gets really upset when someone else points out deficiencies or initiates a reality check. When I test something out (after using it for a year ) and it comes up short... well, shooting the messenger won't change a thing. ..Willy.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GTI 2500 that is multi-frequency, except, you select the frequency you want and it only transmits on one frequency at a time. The purpose is to eliminate interference from other detectors operating on the same frequency. But I haven't a clue what the frequencies are. I think I'll write Garrett and see if they can tell me. A higher frequency would be better for nugget shooting, etc. I'm not sure I undrstand how true multi-frequency detectors work. Do they transmit on all frequencies at once or what? Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, multi-frequency detectors use all frequencies at the same time. Due to ground conditions, moisture, minerals, etc. and probably including what color socks your wearing that day. All have a bearing on how a detector will operate. Some detectors you can change the transmit frequency but it only transmits on one at a time.

Personally for gold nugget hunting I would use the Minelab 3500. I have used this $$$ machine and find it works very well on very tiny grains. However, it is a lot of work to locate these tiny grains in all that dirt in your hand. Good thing gold stands out from the dirt. The MXT is a lot cheaper and the display helps while hunting if your a newbie or losing confidence in your ears. But side by side in gold country I want a Gold detector and that includes Tesoro's and older Garretts. Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean too.

Willy

There are some techs that analysed transmit power/frequencis the BBS detectors and found tha, while there are multiple frequencies transmitted, a lot of them are harmonics and not of sufficient power to accomplish anything. They also state that the detectors utilise, at best, only 3 of them. For hunting gold I have an Infinium and a GMT. The Infinium is for gold of 2-3 grains and up, though the depth on the smallest stuff isn't the greatest, and the GMT is for the tiny 0.1 grain stuff, and it will get bigger stuff. There's also my coin detector for coins/rings/relics. The PI detectors are nice and deep, but they have some definite disadvantages. One of these is related to their ground cancelling properties. With my GMT I can actually follow black sand paystreaks to the honeyhole, which might have a ton of fines and no nuggets. Another problem is the relative insensitivity to small (<1-2 grain) gold, which is a lot more abundant than the big stuff. ...Willy.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy said:
When I say Minelab flunky, you could replace it with Tesoro, Troy or any other detector that a person rabidly plugs. I've seen it all too often where someone overinflates a detector's abilities and gets really upset when someone else points out deficiencies or initiates a reality check. When I test something out (after using it for a year ) and it comes up short... well, shooting the messenger won't change a thing. ..Willy.

? ? THIS IS TRUE WILLY ;

HOWEVER

For the Last 6 years I'v been a Strict Believer in Minelab's ability.

? And alot of the reason why, comes from comments from Whites XLT & DFX Users, who have searched,
Before, Along Side & After me. Easily Half of which I converted, Just by Doing this.

? ? ? ?So SWELLED HEAD ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?I gotta say YES.

? ? ?UPSET by Contradictions? Not at all.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HAPPY HUNTING !
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Jeff

? ? ? ? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread