What would you use in a trashy park....

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Always use a DD coil for a trashy area for the best target separation. It will save your sanity. The search pattern is a straight line instead of round like a concentric so there is less chance of getting multiple targets at the same time under the coil.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I use in a trashy park?.... an exit strategy. ;D

OP
OP
dadoftwogirls

dadoftwogirls

Mar 15, 2010
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Spooky said:
I guess I should ask, what machine, and are these your ONLY options?

Trashy?

neither.

I use a 4x6 or a 5.3 concentric on the DFX with the EEPROM hi trash program, or MXT 5.3 with low gain and his disrim but I digress...

Smaller is GENERALLY better in trash, but that depends.
The DD WILL give you better seperability in trash, but not a HUGE gain over the concentric in the size you mentioned.
Of the two you mentioned, the DD is better at handling trash, but the larger coil size MIGHT nullify the advantage..
In my experience, they should be about even, but "trash' is a difficult thing to gauge..

I am using a Fisher F70. I found an "older" park that I know has good stuff in it, as it is one of the earliest in our city. In addition, I have never seen anyone searching it. I stopped by the other day for about 30 minutes just to get a feel for the area. It is LITTERED with tabs, bottle tops, foil, etc... I did find a couple nice items so I know they are there. However, there was almost 10 times the normal junk hits that I get at other parks. I am simply trying to weed those out and had read that the 11" DD on a Fisher was better at target separation. Nobody on the brand forum seemed to want to respond to the question posed another way for beach use as well so I felt maybe I could get some feedback here. Depth isn't a real concern at this point but I want to minimize junk hits while staying as close to all metal as possible. I feel due to the age of the park their could possibly be some silver and gold to be found.

OP
OP
dadoftwogirls

dadoftwogirls

Mar 15, 2010
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
I only have those two at the moment and was looking for the best of the two under the circumstances. Need to find more treasure to fund the purchase of more treasure finding equipment! :wink:

OP
OP
dadoftwogirls

dadoftwogirls

Mar 15, 2010
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Not me brother. I may be new to the forum but not new to the game. The treasure is a pun but living in Florida near the beach you never know. :laughing7: I dig right, plug right, cover right, and take the trash I find along with the goodies. I have found more than enough gold and change to fund the hobby. Last weeks haul was a mans14k gold nugget ring... a large 10k gold religious medallion off a necklace that some hairy dude in a thong probably lost... a jeweled belly button ring I'm still evaluating, a wheat penny and about $22 in change. Not bad for a few days work. But that doesn't mean I don't do it right. Nice thing is, I mainly search on the beach and only hit the parks near my home after work. Beach allows quick dig and cover. Park more work and care. But in the end it is by the book.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Attachments

• nrsw29.jpg
    nrsw29.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 667

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live and hunt NYC parks. There some of the oldest big city parks in the country. With the amount of people on a weekly bases your going to have that amount of trash. The key to hunting a park like this is finding where the older stuff is. It may not be as scattered as you think. I would use the DD and work slow with only iron Disc out. That way yor not masking anything that might be good.

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a small coil will make you think you have a NEW detector in a Trashy park.

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000 & Classic ID
I would use a 4x6 DD on my DFX, second option would be 5.3 Bullseye and third option would be Classic ID with a 4" coil.

Matt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I know I am flowing against the tide here, but, I would use the 10" concentric. I use a 9.5 concentric with my XLT and I rely on my panel indication.
Here's my reasoning. The DD has a wider& shallower pick up pattern. The 10" more pointed pattern which can more easily work around the trash. The 10" will pinpoint better because of the pointed pattern and fact that it has only one sweet spot! The DD wide pattern causes problems in trashey areas Plus the double pattern actually has two sweet spots which can cause problems pin pointing. I know most hunters have been brainwashed into using a more costly DD without looking at the facts and I expect to get a lot of flack without any electronic backing. Back up your comments with facts please!

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6
4-H said:
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Looks like the places I hunt on a regular basis.

stevefisher7767 said:
a small coil will make you think you have a NEW detector in a Trashy park.

Agreed. Smaller coils are a fantastic option in almost any situation - I managed to find two gold rings with a 5.3" in a yard that I had hit pretty hard with my 9.5"...and I didn't THINK there was much trash there...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
I know I am flowing against the tide here, but, I would use the 10" concentric. I use a 9.5 concentric with my XLT and I rely on my panel indication.
Here's my reasoning. The DD has a wider& shallower pick up pattern. The 10" more pointed pattern which can more easily work around the trash. The 10" will pinpoint better because of the pointed pattern and fact that it has only one sweet spot! The DD wide pattern causes problems in trashey areas Plus the double pattern actually has two sweet spots which can cause problems pin pointing. I know most hunters have been brainwashed into using a more costly DD without looking at the facts and I expect to get a lot of flack without any electronic backing. Back up your comments with facts please!

But what you are missing is that it depends on the detector too! Example.... my Explorer with 10.5" DD is way better in trash than my GTI with 9.5" stock coil. Then there's also settings, how you use them, the definition of a good target... and the list goes on.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
first in trashy areas --you need to get "target seperation" so trash signals do not comingle with good signals -- otherwise the junk signals will be masking good stuff --thus you use a SMALL COIL * TO GET BETTER TARGET SEPERATION -- for getting max depth in a "clean" area yes a big coil is better , but in trashy areas --your going to have fits with a "big coil" because more than one target will be detected at a time ( thus you'll get comingling / masking issues)

the 11 inch DD is the better coil of the two larger types you speak of. in my veiw.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
first in trashy areas --you need to get "target seperation" so trash signals do not comingle with good signals -- otherwise the junk signals will be masking good stuff --thus you use a SMALL COIL * TO GET BETTER TARGET SEPERATION -- for getting max depth in a "clean" area yes a big coil is better , but in trashy areas --your going to have fits with a "big coil" because more than one target will be detected at a time ( thus you'll get comingling / masking issues)

the 11 inch DD is the better coil of the two larger types you speak of. in my veiw.

But there's also another angle. If you are fairly good with a big coil in trash the extra coverage might give you more finds over the course of the hunt. Like I said above there's many variables, so more than one right answer. My 10.5" never comes off my detector no matter what the site is. I have owned an 8" four or five times and sold em all.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you going by that point of veiw --gross coverage of area to maximmize "possible" numbers of finds with hopes that the "comigling" issue is not that bad --- as I said --use the 11 DD coil

sometime I hunt some very very trashy spots -- for those I use the small coil approach

other times its trashy but a bit spread out --then the big DD coil approach might work well.

differant places and folks points of veiw on "how to" come into play

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try each and see which you like. I don,t think you are going to see a lot of difference. If you can (usually a smaller area) you can try digging everything then you will peel away layers and get older and hopefully better finds. My buddy this on a 3 acre park and got good results.

I use an Explorer II. I would use my 5" Excelerator coil and try to disc out only a little iron using iron mask. I also have a recover option. I set this to Fast on and Deep off, a faster recovery help separate targets so you can ID them.. This would let me see mostly good signals and loose few good finds.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread