Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've heard football fields are better! :D

Usually on the sidelines.
Funny, I have to tell you to look on old baseball fields. I have dug my share of rings between the 1st and second bases. :wink:

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
I don't do the playing field at all! I don't want anyone complaining that the field is being disrupted and/or could cause injury to a player stepping into a hole. Now "YOU" know it, and "I" know it that we leave NO holes, but the average Joe sees someone digging holes, they may frown and enough complaints can cause not being allowed back, soooooooooo, I stick to the sidelines. There's more fans and people crowding the sidelines then players anyway! Lot's of pocket spills at those fields...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Since I only use a screwdriver for digging coins, I search the actual fields. Find lots of coins, rings, even some tokens. Find more coins, rings, even tokens on or near where there were bleachers, or just off the sidelines, usually around mid-court.

Same is true of football fields I've seen. While teaching at a small high school, heard about a previous coach who would throw handfulls of coins for "luck" before a game. Tested this statement with my detector, and found at least some spill coins.

The end zones are often celebration zones, and people lose things there too. Not a lot of play time in the end zones, but the finds pop up without a lot of trash. Just sayin'.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a soccer fields in your area are open for "pickup" games, always check the immediate area around each goal / net post. It is pretty common for players to pile their valuables at the base of one of the posts so they won't lose them during play. They are still able to keep a good watch on the stuff from anywhere on the field.
They sometimes leave a coin or 2 by oversight and maybe even a ring.

Always check the playing field, too, but use a screwdriver for probing and recovery so as not to leave plugs. One of my friends found a man's, heavy gold initial, signet ring in the middle of a high school soccer field in OKC. He popped it out with his screwdriver...........no muss; no fuss.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you are only asking for trouble digging holes or popping coins out on the playing fields, it's an open invitation and way too easy for someone to complain about it and they will always win in the end.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
RJH02 said:
I think you are only asking for trouble digging holes or popping coins out on the playing fields, it's an open invitation and way too easy for someone to complain about it and they will always win in the end.
I can't speak for VA, but in OR I pay taxes to support these playing fields. No one has asked me to leave, or were much worried about my activity. I have never heard a complaint about my activity. In VA, perhaps they think a playing field was an old CW campsite or battlefield. Not much CW action in Oregon, though.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's not a good enough answer for some of the soccer moms and dads ( I accept it, I pay taxes too ) who don't like what we do or the guy that lines the fields and sets up the cones. I am sure that as neat as we may be or anyone for that matter they would still prefer that we don't dig on the playing fields, all it takes is the right person to complain to the right person and the signs may go up.

I would rather not take that chance but it's ok with me if someone else thinks it's worth it , lets face it 90% of the time were just digging canslaw, pulltabs and clad coins anyway at the parks.

Not too long ago I was in a park with a friend, he was in the soccer field and I was away on a hillside, a lady came by and gave him an earful along the lines of we work so hard to keep these fields nice for the kids and you come along and dig holes in it, he explained to her that he fills in all of his holes and removes the trash he sees and finds, not a good enough answer for her and she stormed away,15 minutes later a cop drives thru ,we were at our cars getting ready to leave and he left without saying a word to us.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
RJH02 said:
that's not a good enough answer for some of the soccer moms and dads ( I accept it, I pay taxes too ) who don't like what we do or the guy that lines the fields and sets up the cones. I am sure that as neat as we may be or anyone for that matter they would still prefer that we don't dig on the playing fields, all it takes is the right person to complain to the right person and the signs may go up.

I would rather not take that chance but it's ok with me if someone else thinks it's worth it , lets face it 90% of the time were just digging canslaw, pulltabs and clad coins anyway at the parks.

Not too long ago I was in a park with a friend, he was in the soccer field and I was away on a hillside, a lady came by and gave him an earful along the lines of we work so hard to keep these fields nice for the kids and you come along and dig holes in it, he explained to her that he fills in all of his holes and removes the trash he sees and finds, not a good enough answer for her and she stormed away,15 minutes later a cop drives thru ,we were at our cars getting ready to leave and he left without saying a word to us.
As well he shouldn't. There was no basis for the policeman to speak to you.

Here in Oregon, we have a long history of metal detector manufacturers. They have some political clout. Apparently, finding lost mines in Afghanistan doesn't merit the same amount of political clout, nor of using metal detectors on airplanes.

So much for Weapons of Mass Deception.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here in Ca Ive not yet ran into a problem with the soccer fields,and it is one of my top producers for goldrings and medalions,just cut your hitches take your trash and leave it like you found it,unless posted it fair game.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions