Beware Contracts

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Split-the-loot contracts between treasure hunters and property owners are a popular topic with treasure hunters.

But slow down a minute, and check this out. My new show may be the most important program I've ever done. Because it may save you from a lawsuit. (I was going to say "expensive lawsuit," but I realized that was redundant).

Here's why you should never (well, hardly ever) use such a contract with a property owner.

And if you decide to use one anyway, please be aware of the one clause you should NEVER, EVER put into a contract.

This program is short (under four minutes) and just may save your bacon.

Go to:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Click the pink button and the show will play on your computer speakers.

---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

Upvote 0

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
Very informative information and something like this happened to a friend and myself back in the 70's. We knew where an 1850's house was located and with visions of Seated Coins in our heads we asked the land owner for permission to search the property. He was reluctant to let us on his property when my friend told him "If we find anything of valve we will share it with you". This was the deal breaker as he probably figured we must know something he didn't and that was it, permission was not granted.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't listened to your message yet but plan to.

But when it comes to asking permission, the less said the better. We learned that back in the 60's.

We always try to set it up so there's no time limit. Just whenever. I don't want to hunt the very time I ask unless that's the only option.

You want, if possible, to hunt when the owner isn't around.

Years ago I asked to hunt a yard and the lady said sure. She followed me all over the yard and wanted to hold everything I dug. When I was done she took the silver coins, etc., into the house and never even said thanks.

I've written on this subject several times over the years but I upset some folks so I pretty much keep it to myself now.

We're treasure hunters, not free yard boys.

Badger

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As ron basically says: The fastest way to get a "no" from any property owner, is to show him a search contract for him to sign. I mean sheesk people, think of it! What would YOU do if a total stranger comes to YOUR door with a contract for you to sign? Doh! ::)

But these fill-in-the-blank contracts get bandied around on websites and in md'ing books, and newbies think "gee, I guess I need this for asking permission".

The average person could care less, if you just keep it casual (ie.: "looking for pennies and old buttons", blah blah)

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would NEVER sign anything or expect a landowner to sign anything just to metal detect, that is crazy

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Dan, I certainly admire your marketing efforts.

I'm always relieved on the matter of contracts when someone like you spells it out. We so easily succumb to both the lurid and the psuedo learned, especially when it seems a good tactic against the legal system and those pesky land owners. We are all so oriented towards the litigious, that we think we must have such contracts. I agree that is poppycock.

I have avoided the entire mention of the word treasure for years, for this reason. I am an "independent detectorist" and my hobby is detecting. It says so on my cards. I am never a "treasure hunter"... and indeed, my record of success bears that out.

Keep it relaxed, people. Make the private land owner your friend. After all, HE owns the property. It is by his good graces that you either detect or not. So treat him like he is a friend, and not a legal entanglement.

Sign a paper on the other hand and see how messy it can get... if you can get that far.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a person in my area that does this contract stuff. He does really well and has a nice angle on getting permission. I won't go into detail but he does really well.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennyfarmer said:
There is a person in my area that does this contract stuff. He does really well and has a nice angle on getting permission. I won't go into detail but he does really well.
Aw, no you dont!
Now youve tempted us - you gotta spill it. Whats his angle?

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut said:
pennyfarmer said:
Aw, no you dont!
Now youve tempted us - you gotta spill it. Whats his angle?

All Jewlery and relics go to the home owner free and clear, all tokens go to the hunter free and clear. Modern coins are split at face value, collectible coins are split at ABP of the blackbook. I don't remember his entire contract but that is the core of his pitch.

If you are more into the relics then you can change it up. In fact you can change it up anyway you think you can get away with. I know he has gotten to hunt yards that are super manicured due to his meticulous hole care and his contract. Many of these places have been some of the oldest in our area.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Maybe if I start getting a bunch of "no's" .... but most are a, "have at it!" from the owner, so I'd be suprised if it's not that way for everyone. Why use some complicated gimmick? I had to read that paragraph twice to understand, and I can only imagine some home owner being caught off guard and trying to understand the arrangement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread