Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not familiar with a Cibola but I have a single tone Silver umax. I have learned to jocky the discrimination button and figure out what most targets are. Not necessarily coins, but silver , copper or just junque. Monty

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
they do have the one that tells whot you just detected, but I think the price is a little steep tho.
The DeLeón is a Target Identification Detector
$599.00 not too bad tho

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyDragon said:
they do have the one that tells whot you just detected, but I think the price is a little steep tho.
The DeLeón is a Target Identification Detector
$599.00 not too bad tho
Why would that be steep when you pay $800.00 and up for the XLT .. DFX .. Explorer ... Gti 2500 .. ect. ect.. ect..?

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 206
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 198

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Swing your coil over a nickel, then turn up the disc. knob a bit at a time until the signal cracks and the nickel drops out. Mark that spot. Do the same for tabs and zinc pennies. Then, when detecting, if you have a signal above the nickel mark, it's probably a tab, copper or clad/silver coin. If the signal is lost at the tab mark, then the odds are good it's a zinc penny, copper penny, or silver/or clad coin. If it's above the zinc penny mark then - well you see how this works. With practice, this gets to be pretty accurate although you'll still be fooled by some junk targets occasionally. Remember that gold jewelry is discriminated out by or before the nickel setting and sometimes will even read as a zinc penny.

With practice you'll get to where you will often have a pretty good idea whether it's junk or likely a good target by the tone, even though you're using a single tone machine. I can often make a guess that a coin is probably a quarter and often be right, but I doubt that I could TELL anyone else how - after hours of detecting, I just started recognizing very subtle differences in the tone.
Hope this is helpful,
luvsdux

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I have a Cibola and mainly relic hunt but I believe nickles and pull tabs cut out about the same place on the discriminator. I think that it will pick up copper pennies, clad and silver with the discriminator all the way up. Like someone mentioned though gold will be one of the first things to get cut out when you turn up the discriminator. luvsdux had a good suggestion about marking where things cut out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread