A metal detecting horror story!

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I just recently talked to an old MD'ing friend whom I hadn't seen in several years. While we were catching up, I mentioned that I was getting back into MD'ing after a long break. He told me he didn't hunt anymore - of course, I asked why, as this guy was definitely a MD'ing fanatic when I knew him years ago. After I heard his story, I almost had second thoughts about getting back into the hobby!

About two years ago, he was out in the local state forest - public land - searching an old canoe-launching site along the river. It was just upstream from a still-active launch ramp, but this one doesn't get used much anymore. After finding about five pounds of lead fishing sinkers and a few clad Lincolns, he was just about to give up when he heard someone yell "HEY!" He turned around to see an older guy about ten feet away with a shotgun. He quickly took off his headphones and said "Hi." The guy said "you're trespassing," to which my friend replied that he wasn't and this was part of the state forest. I know - arguing with a shotgun-wielding hillbilly might not be the best idea. The guy said, "this is MY property, and you are gonna leave." The shotgun was never pointed at my friend, but he realized that he'd rather comply than take a chance. He said, "alright, I'll go," and started to walk away. At this point, the guy said "leave the stuff here!" "What?" My friend said, shocked. The guy said, "I said, drop your stuff and get off my property!" My friend quickly realized that, trespassing or not, he was being robbed. He set down his detector and backed away slowly. "Now get out!" the guy said. My friend got out as quick as he could.

As soon as he got to the main road, he called 911. He told them that he had just been robbed by a guy with a gun. They asked the usual questions, was he alright, did he know the person, could he describe him, where the incident occurred. My friend asked that an officer meet him at a gas station down the road, rather than at home (which was about 1/2 an hour away). About an hour later, a sheriff showed up. My friend told him the whole story, and when he got to the part about being accused of trespassing, the officer said, "WERE you trespassing?" My friend said no, and he could produce the plat maps to prove it. The cop apparently didn't believe him, and told him that if he was trespassing, the owner had the RIGHT make him leave immediately, without his equipment! My friend didn't believe this, but he just repeated that he wasn't trespassing. The cop took notes and left, saying they'd get back to my friend in a day or so. They never contacted him.

About a week later, he finally called the sheriff's department. They had no record of his report, and to make matters worse, they also said that if he was trespassing, he was lucky he didn't spend the night in jail or worse! They didn't even care when he said he could prove he wasn't trespassing. My friend was so upset by all of this that he decided to forget about it and give up MD'ing. Heck, if that happened to me, I'd probably do the same!

Upvote 0

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_Frog

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2006
West Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone will read this as it is an old post, but I live in Muskegon County, my family has property in Oceana Co., where we hunt, camp, etc. My question whould have been what "palt map" proff did your buddy have? The reason I as this is because many of the most recent plat maps in these counties are not very up to date. The only way to tell is t go to the court house and search the deed/land info.

Cas in point.. On my cousins property we occasionally get what we call "Ignorant Trespassers". They will say things like my Dad & I have hunted this place for years, in which case our replay, well, your not hunting it any more. He purchased this property about 3 years ago, and it still shows up as non private land on plat maps.

There are some crazy people living in the woods up this way, so please everyone make sure where you are going...

Just thought I'd share.

BTW I'm new to MDing, and have yet to really get itno ti. I hope to try more soon myself.

Cheers,

Rocky

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
Your forgetting one thing. There all related, Thief, cops, judge. You ain't gonna win in Deliverance land.They don't think the same as regular folks do. To much marrying cousins, sisters, moms. You did right by leaving, the cops would of said he was justified in shooting a trespasser. :o

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hunting season is just round the corner -- tragic hunting accidents can occur when one "shoots" at a deer and misses it -- a modern bullet has a lot of carrying distance .

one can shoot at a deer and accidently hit some one far away with the shot that missed its "intended" mark and never even know it happened , due to the long range of a modern high powered rifle round --like a 30-06

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I live in Michigantoo southern part. and I have been a cop. We all have crazies nearby. Dont confront them but baffel them with BS. if you act stranger than them, they get confused. if you can make them laugh ya gottum..let them get within your reach and then you really have them! Bob

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
That wouldn't be enough to make me quit detecting....

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hawkeye P said:
Believe me guys, this scared me too. I'm going to try and get a hold of my friend again and see if he's willing to take any of your suggestions to heart. It was awful to see one of the guys who first introduced me to the hobby give it up, but I really can't blame him after his experience! He's not one to tell "tall tales," so I'm inclined to believe his story.

I told my dad the story, and he said it sounded similar to something he heard years ago about why you SHOULDN'T go fishing near that particular public access point on the river - apparently, there's a guy who owns property NEAR there, but thinks that it all belongs to him! My dad remembered a story he heard about two guys who were forced AT GUNPOINT to leave their fishing rods and tackle boxes and "get out!" Sounds familiar! My dad believes that this is the same guy who, in the 1970s, was known to tape sticks of dynamite to a tree and shoot at them - don't know about that story, but if there's an ounce of truth to it and it IS the same guy who seems to be making a living out of ARMED ROBBERY, it sounds like he's certifiably insane!

4-H said:
Yeah, I'm sorry but folks are getting a bit strange up there.
That state is in deep sh#!
Was this near Muskegon?
Tell me. I can find out very easy who this punk was.
PM me if your friend is interested in getting back into the hobby with a little help.

Mike

Mike, funny you should mention that...from what I understand, it was actually in Oceana County, just north of the Muskegon County line. If my friend's description is correct, he was in an area known as Sischo Bayou (as I know it).

This is a Rush, I live 4 miles from Sischo Bayou, close to fifty years now. I have hunted it many times. I know almost every one around it. I found alot of lead and a few old Silvers, White River is Hard on Silver. As far as the Local Law Enforcement? If They did not see it, it Did Not Happen. Fact of Life in Oceana County. I think I need to ask a few people about this.

baldy804

May 6, 2010
after reading this post and similar posts ive decided to let you guys in on a secret hiding place if you will most of us have coil covers on our detectors and boy are they a pain in the arse to get on and off right well there ya go perfect place to put your identification contact info on it colored sharpie marker works well for this or an etching tool if so inclined then when it hits pawn shop you can say hey its mine look thought i would share:) thats what i do anyway :headbang:

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but anyone ever think of having a hunting partner? It's a little more intimidating when there are at least 2 to deal with. Your friend was alone, and I've seen at least one more post on here where an MDer was hunting alone and almost had a bad day(something about detecting a swimming hole and meth heads). I like to share my hunt with a friend, it's convenient in that you both are there in case of an accidental fall, snakebite, and for unpleasant company such as your crazy hillbilly. It's also convenient for the ride home to help keep the driver awake after a full days hunt. Your friend did the right thing as far as leaving and not confronting that guy with the shotgun, but he should have followed up with the State Troopers immediately after the local Sheriff blew him off. Someone would have either returned my detector or paid for a new one, and that crazy guy would have been in jail before I was done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread