Treasure Trove?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Treasure Trove!

These words bring a thrill to the heart of every metal detector hobbyist.

What exactly is treasure trove, and who owns it? You'll be surprised. My latest internet radio show looks at some of the laws concerning the finding and legal ownership of treasure trove.

Just click the pink button here:
http://thetreasurecorner.com

The show will play on your computer speakers. It runs about four minutes.

NOTE: SOMETIMES THE PINK BUTTON DOESN'T APPEAR. IF THAT HAPPENS, CLICK THE "POD" ICON AND THE SHOW WILL PLAY AS A QUICKTIME AUDIO PROGRAM.

---Dan Hughes

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
danhughes1 said:
Treasure Trove!

What exactly is treasure trove, and who owns it? You'll be surprised. My latest internet radio show looks at some of the laws concerning the finding and legal ownership of treasure trove.

---Dan Hughes
We have a Treasure Trove in the UK ??? it's about as popular as a Rattlesnake in a Lucky dip ???

SS

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Silver Searcher said:
danhughes1 said:
Treasure Trove!

---Dan Hughes
We have a Treasure Trove in the UK ??? it's about as popular as a Rattlesnake in a Lucky dip ???

SS

Whats is a "Lucky Dip"?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolcottdigger said:
Silver Searcher said:
danhughes1 said:
Treasure Trove!

---Dan Hughes

SS

Whats is a "Lucky Dip"?
You are Joking wright :dontknow:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Nope. "Lucky Dip" is a term used in the UK, but not in the USA.

I had to look it up - it's a barrel full of kids' toys.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
At least if they want your find they pay you fair value for it, over here more and more laws saying that anything buried over 30 years is property of the state.(WA is one for example). So yes if the USA was to enact the same type of treasure trove rules as the UK most of us would support that as it looks like a better deal to me than making detecting illegal.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwace said:
At least if they want your find they pay you fair value for it, over here more and more laws saying that anything buried over 30 years is property of the state.(WA is one for example). So yes if the USA was to enact the same type of treasure trove rules as the UK most of us would support that as it looks like a better deal to me than making detecting illegal.
Not always the case, that you get fair value, there has been cases were the find has been grosly under valued. It also takes forever to get paid of them, believe me I know :'(

SS

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have no idea what a "Lucky Dip" is or why a rattlesnake wouldn't be accepted at one. :dontknow:

Unfortunately, I'm on dial-up and thinks like "Streaming Video", "Facebook" and "You-tube" are in the same catregory as Unobtanium was to the early nuclear physicists. But thanks anyway.

Do you give TreasureNet a stipend for advertising your website on their bandwidth?

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Have no idea what a "Lucky Dip" is or why a rattlesnake wouldn't be accepted at one. :dontknow:
I had to look it up - it's a British thing. A barrel full of cheap toys that kids reach into and pull one out. A rattlesnake in there wouldn't be pleasant.

Do you give TreasureNet a stipend for advertising your website on their bandwidth?

Nope. Aside from a brief mention of my book at the end of the show, it's a free program with no advertising. It is quite popular on several treasure sites. Some of them have specifically asked me to post announcements of new shows on their boards, and a couple have even asked my permission to add a special section to their site to announce the show's topics when a new program is posted.

Here's a sample article I turned into one of the programs:
http://creativitycoachingsite.com/treasuremanual/tools.htm

Hope you're able to upgrade your connection soon! My parents are on a phone connection, and try as I might, I can't convince them to upgrade (they're both approaching 90 years old and not likely to listen to a young 62-year-old whippersnapper like me).

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Charlie, I noticed in your sidebar that you have a Radio Shack kit detector. I had one of those, too, in about 1973. My first TR detector (I previously used a Jetco BFO machine).

The Radio Shack detector was the first Heathkit I ever built. Mine was a nice rust color. It worked great, but it didn't have a discriminator. I traded it even-up for a new paint job on my '63 Corvair!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My RS kit was lost in a house-fire at my parent's home years ago. It worked . . . but just barely.

I'd LOVE to upgrade. But there is no cable out here - we live just beyond the boonies - and the nearest cable company has more excuses than Congress for why they can't serve our area. No Wi-Fi, I'm way too cheap to install an independant satellite system, and my cell-phone is a $10 pre-pay burn phone (I spend about $100/year on cellular calls).

Heck, we have half a dozen kerosene lamps because the power is out monthly. You take the good with the bad when you live out in God's Country.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Charlie, I just looked at your profile and saw that you're a college professor. What's your subject?

I taught broadcasting for 26 years (retired three years ago) and ran the college radio station. My podcasts are my way of staying in the biz.

Do you have a faster connection at school? Or are the pretty strict with what you do on company computers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions