Got a particular find that would make any day out a great detecting day for you?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if there may be a favorite find for some of you guys that makes a day out detecting great no matter what else you find while searching. For me it is a Mercury dime. I know it is common but there have been days when I have found civil war relics, rings and other old silver coins but to me if I find a mercury dime it makes the day out even better for some reason. What about some of you guys?

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver quarter, half, or dollar. I only find 10-15 silver quarters a year, so every one is an exciting event. I usually only find them at virgin sites. Most sites I go to have been cherry picked of all big silver and easy to find dimes. So I got lots of silver dimes and wheats, but rarely a quarter.

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
Re: Got a particular find that would make any day out a great detecting day for

I am going to have to say,,,,,, anything other then pull tabs.. I get excited on everyone of my digs as long as it is not a pull tab...

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PENNYHUNTER said:
I am going to have to say,,,,,, anything other then pull tabs.. I get excited on everyone of my digs as long as it is not a pull tab...

I hear you on that too!!!! About the time I think it is something else it will be an old screw cap!!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider it a GOOD hunt if I find an indian or a silver coin. If I just find wheats that is kinda boring to me. A single indian makes my day

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Old Relic/Garrett -ADS Master Hunter- Deepseeker/ Whites - Coinmaster
I usually try to stick it out until I pull something out of the ground even a penny, But then I'm happy if it's just a bunch of tabs , because I usually have learned something new about my detector that day, has not been a day I did not have fun ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any silver coin makes my day. Heck, any coin of pre-1900 puts me on Cloud-9.

Can't imagine how I'd feel if I ever found a gold coin.

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my best find a few years ago. I found a 1934 silver walking liberty half dollar that wasn't in that great shape. It happened to have been minted in the year I was born. Being silver and my birth year was great. The best thing about it, I found it on my birthday. I don't think I'll ever find anything that will mean more to me.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
A good day is just having the time to get out, a great day is finding enough clad to pay for gas, an excellent day would be any indian/silver coin.

B

BIG61AL

you would think living in the Denver area as old as it is I would find silver coins.....but noooooo.
I've logged hundreds of hours searching parks, schools, open areas and nothing.....I have found only one silver halve [40%] but i think it was a very recent drop and one silver dime - I think it was an unfound coin from a salted MD club hunt.

so maybe a few silver coins would cheer me up a little. :icon_thumleft:

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any gold coin obviously but I have never found one.
I haven't found any Indian heads or any barber stuff in a LONG time.
Either one of those would make my day.
I have 3 or 4 V nickels but it has been several years since I found one of them as well.
Anything old would make my day right now as it's been awhile.
I did find a really rough buffalo nickel recently but that's about it.

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To a lot of you, mine will sound strange. I have a really good hunt if I find a shotgun brass (any headstamp). It is a really, really good hunt if it is a headstamp that I don't already have. It is a GREAT hunt if it is a 19th century headstamp and I think I would have a heart attack if I found an E Remington, Robin Hood or Deleware Cartridge Co. headstamp.

Doug

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turtlefoot13 said:
To a lot of you, mine will sound strange. I have a really good hunt if I find a shotgun brass (any headstamp). It is a really, really good hunt if it is a headstamp that I don't already have. It is a GREAT hunt if it is a 19th century headstamp and I think I would have a heart attack if I found an E Remington, Robin Hood or Deleware Cartridge Co. headstamp.

Doug

You need to come look in the woods behind my house because you would be in hog heaven digging up all of those old shot gun brass out there..........And you know the good thing about it is for you? Not an old coin or any other neat relics to get in the way of all that old brass!!! I bet I dug 2 fishing vest pockets full in about 1-1/2 hours one morning and have not been back since!!!! I do not know any of the manufactoring marks but they are crumbly old 12 gauge brass, Tim

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be happy with a buff or any silver have only found 1 merc and a few wheat's!!! although those gold days are really great I don't think i could ever beat my best day ever( see my avatar pic). I will always try to beat my best day and enjoy the hobby and experience every day i am swinging!!!! HH Chug!!

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigtim1973 said:
turtlefoot13 said:

Doug

You need to come look in the woods behind my house because you would be in hog heaven digging up all of those old shot gun brass out there..........And you know the good thing about it is for you? Not an old coin or any other neat relics to get in the way of all that old brass!!! I bet I dug 2 fishing vest pockets full in about 1-1/2 hours one morning and have not been back since!!!! I do not know any of the manufactoring marks but they are crumbly old 12 gauge brass, Tim

It sounds like you found metal detecting heaven for me! :o

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug said:
I would be happy with a buff or any silver have only found 1 merc and a few wheat's!!! although those gold days are really great I don't think i could ever beat my best day ever( see my avatar pic). I will always try to beat my best day and enjoy the hobby and experience every day i am swinging!!!! HH Chug!!

Man is that an old religious medallion or what? IS it gold?, Tim

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like I can find Large Cents easier than I can find Indians so I would have to say finding an Indian Head Cent makes my day!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My #1 goal for the day is to find an old good site so we can dig lots of targets. If that happens I know I had my shot.

For finds I'm looking for the "big one" whatever that may be. After that, what usually makes my day is digging something I've never found, or something very good that I have found. I tend to dig many of the same type old finds over and over again so a great find that's different would be an awesome day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions