Digging Tool

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There is a plastic trowl & rake that Home Depto sell for .99 ea. I have used them for years. You can load them up with soil from the target area and hold them up to your coil with no interference! This is a much quicker process than using a metal trowl. I have only broken one in many years of use. These new black tools are very strong, and at only .99 they are worth a try! Oh they also come in two widths! These are for park type use. For extremely rough and deeper digs in the outback I use a shover caller the shark. It is all metal from tip to T handle. The blade is app. 8" wide and app 12" long. it has teeth on one side of the blade to cut roots. It is a real beast!! I picked it up at a garden supply co. years ago. I guess it all depends on where your digging.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lesche M-85 is a primo tool. I have a Trans-Mississippi Electronics made digging tool that is marvelous.

Guess it depends on your soil. A plastic digger is worthless hereabouts in the rock and clay.

Attachments

• HPIM0173s.jpg
    HPIM0173s.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,893

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
After going thru many cheap diggers I was going to buy a lesche and came across this one. It is the upgraded version of the true temper digger that you can get from Lowes. It is fantastic for cuttting plugs with the serrated edge for roots and the knife edge.

I have used it to chip through gravel and can put all my weight on it to pry on the heaviest plug and it has no give to it at all. I would recommend this as a cheaper alternative to the lesche.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 31nTVmRFbAL__SS400_.jpg
    31nTVmRFbAL__SS400_.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 727
  • !Bok-bugBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEudNhio2SBLn-RCk-vg~~_12.jpg
    !Bok-bugBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEudNhio2SBLn-RCk-vg~~_12.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,007

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monolyth said:
After going thru many cheap diggers I was going to buy a lesche and came across this one. It is the upgraded version of the true temper digger that you can get from Lowes. It is fantastic for cuttting plugs with the serrated edge for roots and the knife edge.

I have used it to chip through gravel and can put all my weight on it to pry on the heaviest plug and it has no give to it at all. I would recommend this as a cheaper alternative to the lesche.

Here are some pics.

Oh heck... how have I not seen this before?!! I use the Ames digger with a Corona sheath (even though I now have a Lesch), which is decent... but that sheath looks like it's made for that thing! And I definitely like black & gray combo of the handle too.
Where can I find one? And do they run the same price??

Bran <><

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I like my Leshe not just for digging.
Can be an effective deterrent to bad guys and loose dogs.
I did add a strong magnet from a disc drive to the hilt.
Helps find those rusty staples that sometimes torment me.

Grey

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a sharp looking tool. i saw one sort of like that at www.gardenersEdge.com it had a ornge handle and dule cutting serrations on the blade made of Swedish stainless steel and withstands 300 lbs of pressure . to see it go to the web site above and in the search box type in.. leonard soil knife ..

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
godisnum1 said:
Monolyth said:

Here are some pics.

Oh heck... how have I not seen this before?!! I use the Ames digger with a Corona sheath (even though I now have a Lesch), which is decent... but that sheath looks like it's made for that thing! And I definitely like black & gray combo of the handle too.
Where can I find one? And do they run the same price??

Bran <><

The sheath came with it, it has a clip that holds the tool in place so it doesnt fall out when moving about. This one was 29$ incl shipping from Amazon with lifetime warranty, only other place I have seen them is on ebay.

For another 15$ or so I could have gotten a lesche but I like to try different things. So far after much use and abuse this has proven to be an able tool. Makes digging so much easier when you have something you can rely on...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monolyth said:
The sheath came with it, it has a clip that holds the tool in place so it doesnt fall out when moving about. This one was 29$ incl shipping from Amazon with lifetime warranty, only other place I have seen them is on ebay.

For another 15$ or so I could have gotten a lesche but I like to try different things. So far after much use and abuse this has proven to be an able tool. Makes digging so much easier when you have something you can rely on...

Sweet, thanks! The clip that holds it in would be REALLY convenient, as mine "sometimes" falls out while I'm moving about.

Bran <><

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
Monolyth said:

Here are some pics.
I have looked in web sites and all over for this tool no luck could not find it for sale any were.

Attachments

• !Bok-bugBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEudNhio2SBLn-RCk-vg~~_12.jpg
    !Bok-bugBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEudNhio2SBLn-RCk-vg~~_12.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 618

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hawk-run said:
Monolyth said:

Here are some pics.

I have looked in web sites and all over for this tool no luck could not find it for sale any were.

Here's the link...
http://www.amazon.com/Ames-True-Tem...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271518072&sr=1-1

I saved the link because I'll get one of these later... since I just ordered two matching 3-watt K2 Luxeon LED flashlights & a 3-watt K2 Luxeon LED headlamp for the Chisholm Trail Hunt 3 in a few weeks! Along with my plane tickets and hunt fees, I'm done spending for a while. :D

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Just got my Lesche digger the end of last week....looking forward to trying it out....tomorrow.........

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Can someone please explain why the digging tools are so poorly designed? I mean, the people who came up with the design, have they ever used one?

Lets take a look at the most common tool, the Leshe digger.

When you push the digger in the ground are you not bruising your palm with the end of the grip? Donno about your soil but here it is hard it's not like I am cutting a wedding cake! The handle needs to be perpendicular to the blade so we can apply more downforce pressure.

I got no place to put my other hand to push down and by the end of the day I have a severe wrist cramp and a bruise on my palm.

Could we not come up with a digging tool that is more of a push motion like the handle of a saw and a place for our other hand to help push the blade into the ground with. I mean come on guys, there has got to be something better!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnieWalker said:
Can someone please explain why the digging tools are so poorly designed? I mean, the people who came up with the design, have they ever used one?

Lets take a look at the most common tool, the Leshe digger.

When you push the digger in the ground are you not bruising your palm with the end of the grip? Donno about your soil but here it is hard it's not like I am cutting a wedding cake! The handle needs to be perpendicular to the blade so we can apply more downforce pressure.

I got no place to put my other hand to push down and by the end of the day I have a severe wrist cramp and a bruise on my palm.

Could we not come up with a digging tool that is more of a push motion like the handle of a saw and a place for our other hand to help push the blade into the ground with. I mean come on guys, there has got to be something better!

I have a Lesche that was given to me by a friend. The only time I use it is farm fields or wooded areas. For turf/grass hunting, I use old hickory knives. Go search ebay for them. Like you said, the Lesche is extremely difficult to use. It hurts my wrist and slows me down. When using my knives, most people comment that I am the fastest digger that they have ever seen. Just a quick turn and you have a deep plug.

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
I tend to be more of a "coin popper" kind of guy. I ordered the Lesche digger for those areas that I don't have to worry about tearing up the ground as I needed something that wouldn't bend when prying. In yards, I use an old screwdriver with a rounded tip....with practice you can tell 95% of the time if you have touched a coin, or a rock, or a piece of glass etc....it's been a long time since I have scratched a coin and it usually is a lot easier on the grass (in my humble opinion).....

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does every tool have the serations on the wrong side. I'm right handed.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
wavecrazed said:
Why does every tool have the serations on the wrong side. I'm right handed.
Good question i always thought they were on the wrong side also? I think they were made for left handed people.

Attachments

• zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 497
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 489

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread