Bout ready to hang up my MD

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I live in a small town(about 150 people). We have a really popular restaurant here that draws people from all over. The restaurant is right across the street from the city park. Tonight I decided to hunt the park in the dark with my headlamp because after dark was the only time I had. I hunted about an hour. While I was at the park some out of town people came out of the restaurant and yelled," hey buddy if you need some money I can give you some you dont need to dig for it." I just ignored him. Of course he was like the preppy frat boy type with a bunch of people all around him. Afterwords I thought that I should have yelled back," Hey buddy see that Dodge Hemi Charger sitting over there, that is mine. Dont forget that when you are climbing into your Toyota that mommy and daddy bought for you, you f-ing prick. If he came over I could have just shanked him with my lesche. So that was the first straw. Shortly after that some little teenage gum chewing teeny boppin girls came out of the restaurant and came into the park. I overheard them say yeah what a wierdo. That is just weeeeiiird. He must be poor. I could also hear another little teeny bopper imitating my MD. She was saying beep, beep, bbeep, bb, bbb, bbbeep. Yeah, I am poor. That is why I spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby so I can dig holes in the local park looking for pennies. So I just packed up my stuff, came home, and started drinking. Thinkin about just hanging up my MD for awhile. Wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to go with. I am just really pissed off at the world tonight. The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
SteveDodds said:
I live in a small town(about 150 people). We have a really popular restaurant here that draws people from all over. The restaurant is right across the street from the city park. Tonight I decided to hunt the park in the dark with my headlamp because after dark was the only time I had. I hunted about an hour. While I was at the park some out of town people came out of the restaurant and yelled," hey buddy if you need some money I can give you some you dont need to dig for it." I just ignored him. Of course he was like the preppy frat boy type with a bunch of people all around him. Afterwords I thought that I should have yelled back," Hey buddy see that Dodge Hemi Charger sitting over there, that is mine. Dont forget that when you are climbing into your Toyota that mommy and daddy bought for you, you f-ing prick. If he came over I could have just shanked him with my lesche. So that was the first straw. Shortly after that some little teenage gum chewing teeny boppin girls came out of the restaurant and came into the park. I overheard them say yeah what a wierdo. That is just weeeeiiird. He must be poor. I could also hear another little teeny bopper imitating my MD. She was saying beep, beep, bbeep, bb, bbb, bbbeep. Yeah, I am poor. That is why I spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby so I can dig holes in the local park looking for pennies. So I just packed up my stuff, came home, and started drinking. Thinkin about just hanging up my MD for awhile. Wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to go with. I am just really pissed off at the world tonight. The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

What they don't know wont hurt you, in fact it helps in that it is that much less competition in your small town. Same holds true for any type of collecting/treasure hunting.

The best response is a smile. :wink:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Blacksheep said:
SteveDodds said:

What they don't know wont hurt you, in fact it helps in that it is that much less competition in your small town. Same holds true for any type of collecting/treasure hunting.

The best response is a smile. :wink:
If you were dealing with the idiot's at hilton Head like i was a smile & wink would not help you out one bit.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL

Funny, but a bit harsh don't you think?

SteveDodds said:
The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

Not sure what he has been through, couple of rough days + being ridiculed while trying to clear your head/enjoy yourself would be enough to bring anyone down.

TH'ing fever will overpower your bad mood soon enough, Steve.

Keep your head up. :icon_thumleft:

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Never worry what other people think.

Most people's thinkin is stinkin anyways.

Most people live quite lives of desperation. They are working at jobs they hate. They are sitting at home watching tv doing very little to either really enjoy their lives or improve themselves.

It is good to know that MOST people do not look at MDing as something they would want to do. That is good because then there will be more for us to find.

If they only knew that there is more money and valuables lost than are in circulation today. And where else can you go out, have a good time and find something that is of value?

Go out and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about what other people think.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be way off base but I have to wonder if perhaps this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe you haven't been finding much and are getting frustrated with the hobby anyway. Perhaps you are using this to justify quitting so that you don't feel guilty about giving up a hobby that isn't measuring up to your expectations. If so, then I can certainly sympathize. That's why joining a club can really help. Seeing the successes of others can really help to renew your interests in the hobby and give you ideas on how to improve upon what you are currently doing wrong.

If I have misinterpreted your post then please forgive me. But I tend to believe that there is more to it than meets the eye. I just can't imagine someone who is thrilled with the hobby giving it up just because of a few bad comments. If it's time for a break then go ahead and take a break. Then pick up again next year when you've had some time to let things sink in. It's a hobby. If it isn't fun then you shouldn't be doing it. But if you enjoy it then hang in there and don't let those idiots get you down.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I agree with the others .... try and not let it get you down, because it is only a hobby that is supposed to be fun. If it isn't fun to you any more due to no good finds in a while and this incident, take a few months off from it. Do some other things.

I had been searching a totlot and some teens came and were throwing dimes at me, and I was picking them up. While detecting I got a nickel signal and dug a gold ring from the totlot with my Lesche digger. They shut up pretty quick with their beep..beep noises and loser comments..

Take it in stride......I bet everyone of us has had some meetings with people who don't realize how fun this hobby is.

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you haven't read this enough already....Hang in there! One day when they lose their wedding band or gold watch on the beach they'll be wishing you were around to find it for them!

Please be careful though when wielding a lesche....I over heard some commotion through my headphones one time while hunting in Guam...I turn around and see base police with guns pointed at me yelling for me to drop the knife! After setting all my gear down (nearly had to change my shorts too ;D ) and then getting frisked, I showed them the written letter I had giving me permission to hunt on base...then we had a good laugh about it (apparently someone drove by and reported a guy running around with a big knife)...they asked me all kinds of questions and seemed genuinely interested in our hobby!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Just get a T shirt with a Metal Detector on the front, and the Words.....if you don't like it..... I think you know what goes on the back :laughing9: seriously though just ignore them Buddy, look how many they are here on T.net :o we all can't be mad :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing9:

SS

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
It's always nice to come home after MDing an have a Cocktail. ;D :thumbsup:
:icon_thumright: ;D :icon_thumleft: ABSOLUTELY!!!

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive went through the same thing steve . people who drive by yelling differant things i just let it go. ive paid for 8 detector bought a 30/06 plus riding lawn mower also sold over $1000.00 cash from relic & coins in about 5 yrs. ive figured they can laugh at me now but i laugh at them on the way to the bank ;D

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't worry about them any more. If they bug me, I give them a Micheal Jackson.
(crotch grab).

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
You should have followed them home, waited til they were sleeping, set fire to their house and chopped their legs off.

Then sit outside with their beer and laugh as they try to stagger out of their burning house on the stubs where their legs used to be.

(Ok, maybe not............I'm kidding, guy)

That was seriously funny man!
Thanks for the laugh!
I have never had anyone really yell anything at me in all the years I have detected oddly enough.
I hunt ghost towns about 90 percent of the time though and seldom see anyone while I am detecting.
I also have a biker buddy who detects with me when I do go into town and he is 6'6" tall and weighs 260 pounds and has "The Look"
When the two of us are hunting together we make quite the pair, Neither of us are what you would call normal in appearance and people tend to hide their children and womenfolk when we are around.
It's a gift I guess.
I have had small groups of kids come up to me while detecting and they ask questions sometimes only half curious and half smart a$$ed.
Nothing serious but the attitude is there occasionally,
I have two reproduction Gold coins I carry and if I have a group hanging around as they sometimes do I will with slight of hand dig up a couple of Gold coins right in front of them.
You would be amazed at how quickly the attitude changes from semi smart a$$ to OMG! I need a detector! :)

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
dont sweat the small stuff,and remember everything is small stuff!life is to short if you enjoy metal detecting just smile and keep on going friend.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what others say matters "because"? --do you really care what a bunch of know nothing , do nothing punks think of you ? -- so they got $-it for brains and it flows out their mouths --- big whoop --when they start paying yer bills , then their opinions might start to matter a little bit --till then -- just laugh at em -- they wil soon be toting the load for us older folks before long -- because someone is going to have to pay the HUGE TAXES NEEDED TO FUND ALL THE STUFF THATS BEING PASSED * lucky them..

OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
willie d said:
LOL

Funny, but a bit harsh don't you think?

SteveDodds said:
The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

Not sure what he has been through, couple of rough days + being ridiculed while trying to clear your head/enjoy yourself would be enough to bring anyone down.

TH'ing fever will overpower your bad mood soon enough, Steve.

Keep your head up. :icon_thumleft:
Here is what I have been through. Scroll down to the middle of the page.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,277577.msg1991694.html#msg1991694

I got back out there for about an hour tonight. Thought about going to the same spot but I went somewhere that has a whole lot less people. Found 2 wheat cents and a key to a Ford. I love it when I find keys because that means somebody else probably had a crappy day. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
Well some neighbors decided it would be great fun to salt my favorite relic field with pennies,today dug up a shiny new lincoln penny at 4" in a field where I,ve found minis and CW buttons.
and everywhere dogs kids snakes wasps bulls spiders ticks mosquitos even killer Rabbits...
Why Do We do It?
Keep the Faith and wear full headphones
HH,Mont

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when I find keys because that means somebody else probably had a crappy day. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

OH !! Do I have a key story for you....

Back when I was stationed in Spain, I was out on the beach one day
hunting the beach and an American guy came up to me....
he said he was a proffesor at the Univercity of Maryland on the base at Rota
and was wondering if I could help him...
He said that the previous day he had been on the beach on a towel away from most of the other people on the beach, when he had decided that he wanted to go swimming...
He said that because he was afraid that someone would come along and steal his keys while he
was swimming, he decided to bury them in the sand next to his towel...
Needless to say.... when he got out of the water... he could not find the keys..
He looked and looked, but nothing...
Fast Forward to the following day, and there I was..
He offered me $50 if I could find his keys for him... and he told me about where he had been laying
out the previous day...
but after 2 hours of walking up and down that stretch of beach I did not have his keys..
He told me that this was a large key ring with maybe 10-15 keys
with his Mercedes car keys and his home keys
and also keys to the University Of Maryland classrooms on the base.
I noted that the tide was running 10 feet higher this day than the previous and I personally believe that they
keys were washed out, because I was walking and hunting the area he said but the high tide was washing over the area he says he had his towel the previous day...

Although I did not get the $50, he did buy me and my wife a drink at the bar for trying to find these for him...
I've always said... it would seem odd that someone like a Professor of a major University
would bury his keys.... to try to keep them...
I could have told him that once an item hits the sand, its almost impossible to know where it is....
Well.... because all sand looks alike ....
We never did find out what happened to those keys...
but yes... I am sure he had a bad day because of that....probably a bad 6 months...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread