Bout ready to hang up my MD

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I live in a small town(about 150 people). We have a really popular restaurant here that draws people from all over. The restaurant is right across the street from the city park. Tonight I decided to hunt the park in the dark with my headlamp because after dark was the only time I had. I hunted about an hour. While I was at the park some out of town people came out of the restaurant and yelled," hey buddy if you need some money I can give you some you dont need to dig for it." I just ignored him. Of course he was like the preppy frat boy type with a bunch of people all around him. Afterwords I thought that I should have yelled back," Hey buddy see that Dodge Hemi Charger sitting over there, that is mine. Dont forget that when you are climbing into your Toyota that mommy and daddy bought for you, you f-ing prick. If he came over I could have just shanked him with my lesche. So that was the first straw. Shortly after that some little teenage gum chewing teeny boppin girls came out of the restaurant and came into the park. I overheard them say yeah what a wierdo. That is just weeeeiiird. He must be poor. I could also hear another little teeny bopper imitating my MD. She was saying beep, beep, bbeep, bb, bbb, bbbeep. Yeah, I am poor. That is why I spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby so I can dig holes in the local park looking for pennies. So I just packed up my stuff, came home, and started drinking. Thinkin about just hanging up my MD for awhile. Wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to go with. I am just really pissed off at the world tonight. The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

Upvote 0

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
You should have said that the things you found last year paid for half the cost of your new car, then ignored those fools.
(not like they would know, or say your detector cost a couple of grand, so you don't need handouts)

Maybe throw your Lesche into the ground and raise your detector in the air shouting "Wolverines" ;D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Hang in there, Steve. No matter where you hunt your going to run into people like that, just their way of what they think is cute. Enjoy the hobby and your finds. Things will start looking up for you soon, like I said, just hang in there.

HH
Desertfox

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SYKO said:
You should have said that the things you found last year paid for half the cost of your new car, then ignored those fools.
(not like they would know, or say your detector cost a couple of grand, so you don't need handouts)

Maybe throw your Lesche into the ground and raise your detector in the air shouting "Wolverines" ;D
LMAO!
6_11_09_07_1_16_56.jpg

People mock what they don't understand, plain and simple. I have no interest in educating them either, because the ones that are making the smarta$$ comments wouldn't get it even if I explained it to them.

Keep your head up, there's treasure out there to find, now get out there and find it, to hell with what anyone else says.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, you don't need to put yourself through such treatment just to start drinking. Don't let them get you down as your in it for the fun remember.

When you hunt in front of others you are bound to be the topic of conversation and jokes. Think of it as you are finding bullets for your guns.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to live in Fort dodge Ia.

As others have said, don't let their comments get you down, your in an area that has great potential for old treasures......When people do it to me, I just tell them my wife enjoys wearing the diamond rings I find.....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop being so sensitive. Get your machine and digging tool and go hunting. :thumbsup:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe anybody who has spent any amount of time in this hobby has experienced this type
of BS..
people act this way because they don't understand what we are about, they can't appreciate what
we find, or how it makes us feel..

Years ago, when I had just started (been hunting for 25 years) I was in the Navy stationed at
Cecil Field Fl. and went down to Daytona Beach, thinking I was going to "Clean Up"....
I rented a detector and the guy said "set it like this for coins" and away I went..
I'm walking around the beach and as I walk I see these flashes of light... in front of my coil...
don't know what they are, then I get a penny.... and keep walking and a few minutes later
another flash....
It took me about 20 minutes to figure out that some kids were on the boardwalk throwing
pennies in front of my machine... then laughing as I "dug" their pennies..
a buddy of mine who got me into the hobby latter said, let them throw money at me...
I'll take all the free money I can get..... I don't quite see it the same way anymore, I no longer
pick up pennies thrown at me... because I want to leave something for you guys...
but there will always be some prick out there doing stupid stuff to make you feel stupid... I enjoy my hobby too much to care anymore.... I just ignore them.. I have over 100 gold rings and chains and medallions and tons of silver coins and rings and other stuff to show for my trouble...
the hell with them... ignore them...

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont give up, this happens to everyone of us at some point. Put your head down and keep at it. :thumbsup:

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
SteveDodds said:
I live in a small town(about 150 people). We have a really popular restaurant here that draws people from all over. The restaurant is right across the street from the city park. Tonight I decided to hunt the park in the dark with my headlamp because after dark was the only time I had. I hunted about an hour. While I was at the park some out of town people came out of the restaurant and yelled," hey buddy if you need some money I can give you some you dont need to dig for it." I just ignored him. Of course he was like the preppy frat boy type with a bunch of people all around him. Afterwords I thought that I should have yelled back," Hey buddy see that Dodge Hemi Charger sitting over there, that is mine. Dont forget that when you are climbing into your Toyota that mommy and daddy bought for you, you f-ing prick. If he came over I could have just shanked him with my lesche. So that was the first straw. Shortly after that some little teenage gum chewing teeny boppin girls came out of the restaurant and came into the park. I overheard them say yeah what a wierdo. That is just weeeeiiird. He must be poor. I could also hear another little teeny bopper imitating my MD. She was saying beep, beep, bbeep, bb, bbb, bbbeep. Yeah, I am poor. That is why I spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby so I can dig holes in the local park looking for pennies. So I just packed up my stuff, came home, and started drinking. Thinkin about just hanging up my MD for awhile. Wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to go with. I am just really pissed off at the world tonight. The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

trust me!..DO NOT let this affect you!..i have been hearing this s88t for over thirty years!
i am NOT a phsycologist,but i'll have a go at this!..what you are experiencing is pent up emotion from "frustrated"
people who's lives are generally unhappy!...they are "venting!"..ignore 'em!..put your headphones on,and pretend NOT to hear them!
works for me!..if they continue,and get close to you,.."pat" your pocket to indicate that you are "packing"..that should do it!
if that doesn't work,then get ready to defend yourself with your lesche!..THAT will work!..good luck!

(h.h!)
j.t.

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DONOT LET OTHER PEOPLES STUPIDITY
DRIVE YOU AWAY FROM DETECTOR STAY
IN THERE STEVE :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
Don't remember who posted it, but one Tnetter admitted to making fun of a guy swinging a metal detector, when he was a stupid teen.

Momma said that people would stop making fun of me when I grew up but it hasn't happened yet!

When confronted by stupid comments just concider the source.

(I'm sitting on the porch right now and I just heard a Beep Beep. I guess my neighbor kid got a metal detector yesterday, for his birthday! )

Jim on Camano

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has happened to me twice. Both times it was high school aged punks who probably thought the "nerdy" metal detector guy wouldn't do anything. Both times I whipped of my headphones, dropped my detector and with digger in hand proceeded to speed walk towards them. Both times they scurried off like the little "girls" that they were. If they hadn't I would have said to the bigmouth one "How about I stick my detector up your a$$ and see if I can find your brains?" Most times it's one bigmouth showing off for his friends. I will never back down or leave because of one of these idiots now matter what. Don't give up, hang in there and see them for the jerks that they are. Rich.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't tell you how many times I have endured the old, "That's sure a quiet weedeater" thing. Not to worry,it's like water on a duck's back. Forget it and carry on. Who cares what some wiseacre says? Screw 'em. Did I leave out anything? Monty

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Let them think you're poor. Who cares? In fact see if they'll buy you dinner :) You may have inadvertantly created a new treasure hunting genre.

Who cares what teen girls think other than teen boys?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

You can't jump ship, we're not there yet!! Let it go. It can be quite comical to hear people make fools of themselves. It is cheap entertainment. Got to have headphones though, it keeps the noise down so that they cannot hear it. Headphones also make your batteries last longer.

The idiots that run their mouths are the ones who are lost. They have not had the pleasure of releasing a long lost silver dime, Indian head penny or a nice gold ring with stones from the earth to let the sun shine down on it and let you know that treasure is still out there.

If one of them offers to buy you lunch, let them. Then go back to detecting.

Have fun with it. I use it like therapy. Just me and my detector. Looking for a nice find.

Good luck in your future searches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Chicken4U2

Jul 27, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, we've all been there, so don't let it bother you. I've had both kids and parents make fun of me and make stupid remarks. Look at the bright side, as long as people think we are weird, that means less competition. 8)

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of told him I take your money. If no big deal let them think what they want. Yo are doing something that you enjoy. I have people at work throw pennies on the floor and I will walk over and pick them up and say at least I didn't have to dig for that one. I ahve people ask me if I need money I tell them no I have found some but if you have some that you don't want I will take it, no big deal.......Matt

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya man don't let it get to you. I went to Hilton Head SC about 15 years ago give or take. And i had 2 of those preppy frat boy types harrassing the hell out of me . So i said to hell with it went had a beer :occasion then went out to supper . The next day i went back out never saw them again . I wanted to but no such luck. I would have to say they were with there rich mommy & daddy.But the end of the story is i never quit hunting still at it. You know those rich kids are the worst they think they can say or do what they want and never get in trouble. :angry4: :angry4: :cussing: :cussing: :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread