ya dont know till ya try, right?

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
ya don't know till ya try, right?

About a week or so ago, a co-worker was telling me that his grandfather was known to bury money in the backyard. I asked for the address, he complied w/ the info. The home is no longer in his family and he doesn't know the current owners.

He shared that back in the day, behind the house was a garage and a chicken coop. The garage is still standing but not the chicken coop. His parents lived there after the grandparents and planted a garden in the old coop location. They never found anything while tilling the dirt.

The house is in the city in a VERY bad part of town.

I decided since the SU is outta town I'd give it a dhot after work tonight.

IF I get permission I'm thinking of first checking the area around the old coop locale.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ya don't know till ya try, right?

What part of Northern IN are we talking about here? There can be a big difference between a bad area in Elkhart vs a bad area in Gary.

I'm not sure how your machine works, but a back yard in a bad neighborhood is usually a trash pit. You would have to clear out a lot of garbage before your machine could even see past the surface. Do you know how the coins were buried? In an iron box? In a mason jar? In a sack?

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

South Bend, west side.

Nope don't know much more than what I shared.

This isn't my first time huntin' the hood so am aware of what's gotta be done. I know I got ONE shot...otherwise they'll probably try to rent a machine and well...you know how that usually plays out.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live down in Indy, and there are some areas that we avoid altogether. I'm not too familiar with SB. In some of the areas around here, there is no way I would be detecting the back yard where nobody could see me. I won't even detect some front yards here. When you drive down the street and there are 12 guys blocking the road and refusing to move, we avoid those areas. No find is worth it.

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6

vibes said:
IF I get permission I'm thinking of first checking the area around the old coop locale.

That's the first place I'd check. If the house is still standing, think about the places that the guy could "keep an eye on" from the house. If I buried my money outside, I'd do it somewhere within view of the kitchen window, for example. Around the garage, maybe, but within view of the house. If he buried the money inside the chicken coop, I'd bet he could see the door to the coop from his favorite chair. Also look for landmarks - old stumps, a big rock, fence posts - anything that might've acted as a marker for his goodies.

Do be careful if the house is in a very bad neighborhood. There are places near me that have been around since the mid-1800s and I'd love to hunt them...but I won't even drive through the neighborhoods. Maybe if I was armed - with a fully-automatic rifle! ;D

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Hawkeye P said:
vibes said:

That's the first place I'd check. If the house is still standing, think about the places that the guy could "keep an eye on" from the house. If I buried my money outside, I'd do it somewhere within view of the kitchen window, for example. Around the garage, maybe, but within view of the house. If he buried the money inside the chicken coop, I'd bet he could see the door to the coop from his favorite chair. Also look for landmarks - old stumps, a big rock, fence posts - anything that might've acted as a marker for his goodies.

Do be careful if the house is in a very bad neighborhood. There are places near me that have been around since the mid-1800s and I'd love to hunt them...but I won't even drive through the neighborhoods. Maybe if I was armed - with a fully-automatic rifle! ;D

This house is not that old...but thanks for the tips! I apprciate it!

And Yes...well it's not that bad (men blocking the street) ...dang, that sounds like LA!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread