I caught hell today and I dont know why!

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I caught hell today and I don't know why!

I was detecting in a local park today when some one driving buy started to verbally abuse me.
I don't know who he was or his reasons for acting that way but it shocked the hell out of me.
At first I thought he was a park and rec person but I cant believe a town employee would risk
stopping his truck and calling out such nasty language from the middle of a public road.
He called me every filthy name in the book while also telling me I better put the grass back.
I never leave any holes unfilled and you can rarely tell I've ever been there. I've never detected
on any of the athletic fields, only the public areas and have never seen any messy holes left by
other people detecting. This guy embarrassed me so much I don't know if I can ever go detecting
there again. I know there are people who make a mess of lawns detecting but I have never seen
it in this park, I wish he would have just come up to me to see what I was doing and I could have
shown him how respectful I am of the places I detect in. Thanks for letting me rant and rave about
this.

Joe

Upvote 0

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I caught hell today and I don't know why!

Take out your cellphone, snap his picture, and then proceed to call the cops. As he races away be sure to get his license plate number. A call to the police to report him for menacing/harassment/diorderly conduct would make him understand that people don't tolerate that kind of belligerent behavior. >:(

It seems like we are getting more and more cases of these types of incidents being reported out here. Enough is enough. You need to be civil toward these idiots but they also need to understand that it is unacceptable. What better way than being visited by the police? ;D

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer

I feel your pain sometimes. It is good to rant and get it out of your system. Not healthy to hold it in. :coffee2:

Edwardo911

Greenie
Nov 1, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
None Currently

I would have taken his picture and then continued to metal detect and ignored the guy, but kept him in front of me. He made himself look bad. You were just out there pursuing your hobby. nothing wrong with that. Sounds like he is envious and apparently slacking off at work.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

another reason to wear headphones..... they block out the outside noise and distractions.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My policy is unless your harasser physically challenges you or shows you a badge, IGNORE THEM! Don,t let ignorant people keep you from enjoying your pass time.

Ed D.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Born2Dtect said:
My policy is unless your harasser physically challenges you or shows you a badge, IGNORE THEM! Don,t let --deleted-- people keep you from enjoying your pass time.

Ed D.

That's probably a pretty good policy. I believe that if he physically challeges you or threatens you in some way then you should call the police. Also, if there are others around (especially children) and he is "acting disorderly" then a call to the police could be in order. You've got to play it by ear. Some old woman making a snide comment while letting her poodle poop in the park isn't worth the effort. But some guy berating me from the window of a beat up old pickup is probably going to get his picture taken and sent to the police along with a statement from me about how much I felt threatened by his actions. :wink: There may not be any legal grounds to officially charge him. But they might decide to go after a disorderly conduct charge if there were others around and he was making a nasty scene. Disorderly conduct is the "catch all" that police can use to get guys like this when no other law applies.

Most of the time it isn't worth it but there are times when you have to stand up and smack these guys down.

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6

I have to say that I probably would've reacted rather poorly to the situation, but cooler heads must prevail. When I was a kid, I was hunting with my dad and we were harassed by some anti-hunting, anti-gun, anti-everything people. They called us every name in the book. My dad decided to ignore them, but they apparently went on to harass some other hunters who didn't take it so lightly. We later heard that several of the people had gotten in big trouble - can't recall if it they got big fines or jail time, but I'm sure they thought twice before bothering hunters again.

I'm happy to say that I've never had a bad experience in a park - in fact, the last time I was in one, the park manager drove up and had a chat with me. At first I figured I was in trouble, but he ended up pointing out some of the places in the park he thought would be good, and where he'd never seen detectorists go! So not everyone is against us. It just seems that way sometimes.

Report incidents like this. Even if you don't press charges, a police officer showing up at the guy's house is probably all it'll take to shut him up.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey Joe...Don't mind him partner.
You just keep having fun.
Get a good paitr of headphones and you wont have to worry about passer by's anymore! :D

Seriously, don't sweat it

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it at all possible that he mistook you for someone else ?
Your discription seem very out of hand for someone driving by, but I'm with the rest of them...
I was in a park in Charleston SC years ago...
and a man came up to me and said I should not be doing that here, and he proceded to tell me
that it was not allowed....
I had hunted that park time and time again over the years and had never been told anything about it.
There are always lots of people around and most just ignore me there...
So I asked him, was he Police ? he said no....
and I asked him if he was going to call the police and he said no....
So I just said ok, and kept hunting.... 2 minutes later I got a signal that turned out to be
only 1 of my 3 Flying Eagle Cents...
Now if I had left ..... someone else would have had it..
Unless they come at me directly... I generally pay them no mind....
That of course depends...
I have hunted many church yards in my time, and most I just go and hunt and if someone does not
want you there they will tell you.... Usually after you have been there a while and dug all the goodies out of their yard..... I have been chased off some boonies churches by some very unhappy people.... Oh Well...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OP
OP
wolcottdigger

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and advice!
I don't know why this guy went crazy on me, I really think
he must have something to do with the local town or
Park & Rec Dept. because he was really mad. But things
look a lot better twenty four hours later and I'm not going
to let people like that bother me.

Joe

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wolcottdigger said:
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and advice!

Joe

That's a good attitude.

If you run into him again and he appears to be part of the parks and rec. department then getting a name/picture and running it up chain of command may be in order. He could just be some maintenance guy and if so there is no reason for him to be belligerent to guests of the park. It's good to be able to just ignore it but if it gets excessive then you shouldn't tolerate it and take steps to ensure that he isn't hassling anyone else.

Good luck.

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6

TORRERO said:
I asked him if he was going to call the police and he said no....
So I just said ok, and kept hunting.... 2 minutes later I got a signal that turned out to be
only 1 of my 3 Flying Eagle Cents...
Now if I had left ..... someone else would have had it..

So YOU'RE the guy I tried to scare away...I KNEW there was good stuff there, and I wanted it all to myself! :laughing7:

wolcottdigger said:

I doubt he was with the local authorities...if he was, he would've brought that up in order to show that he had a "right" to be a jerk! Some people, even if they're just the ones who mow the lawn, think that their "position" gives them the right to bully us. I'm willing to bet that this guy was just trying to enforce his own rules - and he certainly didn't go about it in the proper fashion if he truly did believe you were in the wrong. The park manager who I chatted with one time never even said he was in charge - I just happened to know he was the guy who took care of the park! He didn't try to use his "position" to push me around. Like I said, I had a GOOD experience when dealing with the "authority" in charge of the park, so one jerk yelling at me from the safety of his car - well, I wouldn't even pay attention!

I firmly believe that "sleeping on it" can make things a lot clearer. Also, I'm with everyone else on the idea of headphones...I usually leave one ear "open" so that I'm not TOTALLY oblivious to what's going on around me (I'd hate to be surprised by a mean dog...or person, for that matter)...but if you've got headphones on, you've got an excuse to just ignore folks yelling at you from the road! Just pretend you don't hear him and only acknowledge him if you are approached - and 99% of the time, "tough guys" like that won't even get out of their vehicle.

If you DO get approached and told by someone that "you can't do that here," as someone mentioned above, ask them to show you where that rule is posted - if it's not, ask them what authority they have to tell you to leave - when they don't, let them call whoever is in charge.

IF they call the cops, and IF the cops even show up (very doubtful), show them that you've been practicing "good metal detecting manners" and show them your collection of pulltabs and sharp metal that you've cleaned out of the park to make it SAFER for other users! Personally, whenever I go to a public place to hunt, I bring some good examples with me - not even from that particular day - and keep it in a bag in my car "just in case." Rusty razorblades are your friends! :laughing7:

Metal detecting is widely recognized as a legitimate recreational use of public areas (with a few notable exceptions), and if a park doesn't have a sign that says "NO METAL DETECTING" or "NO DIGGING," it would take someone in uniform or with a badge to get me to leave.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but threads like these are great for anyone who might be afraid to hunt their local parks because of who they might encounter. Believe it or not, some detectorists are very shy and don't want to talk to anyone! :dontknow: All that being said, ALWAYS be aware of what's going on around you, but don't let one jerk discourage you from your LEGITIMATE use of the park!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You did fine! Next time if you can video with your camera do that! Then take to PD or P & R person an something will be done to keep them at bay next time. Did ya post pics of finds ? :icon_sunny:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always enjoy how the "Pharisees" out there will break every rule of ethics and genuine decent behavior, in order to point out you are doing something they deem as minorly improper.

Perhaps the "Take care of the log in your own eye before, and in order to properly assist with the speck in anothers" should be posted in some public places.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer

Run towards him flat out while making out you are trying to get something out of your back pocket...... See how long he stays there. If he was really tough he would have come in to have a go at you.

The Cat

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

what I can't understand is how you heard him in the first place, tighten up your headphones. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

B

BIG61AL

The best advise I read on this post is to take pictures and call the police. You were doing a legal activity and he was disturbing the peace. Police have very little tolerance for people disturbing the peace. It's a great tool to track individuals that tend to do other more serious crimes. He lost his cool and that's one step away from assaulting someone. Trust me if this guy is a hot head the police already know him. They are just aching to pin a more serious charge on him. Next time call the cops. It's their job to give stupid people grief for doing something stupid.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Joe, I had that happen in Thomaston too. I actually had 2 kids from the HS baseball team run across the field at me screaming at me.

They told me they were going to call the cops and I told them to go ahead. I have a letter in my car from the Principal and the Park and Rec guys to prove that I have permission to be there.

Some people just think they own everything. They don't care how careful you are and that you can't even tell you were there to begin with. All they see is you making a hole and they get irate about it.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. They I might take a picture and perhaps even call the cops as well.

I often hear the kids making remarks as they drive by and I pretend that I can't hear them. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe it is time to educate your community about metal detecting. Get permission from walmart or kmart (or any other high public trafic area) to set up a table out front and show some of the thing you are finding. You can also use this opportunity to talk about the hobby and possibly get permission to search some homes. If you are part of a club you can make it a club event. If there isn't a local club then maybe you can meet other detectorists and start one. Contact the FMDAC (fmdac.org) if you are interested in starting a club and they will help you out and possibly put you in touch with a local club or other individuals interested in the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread