Just looking for a little help picking a new detector.

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
New to the forum and the hobby. I bought a tesoro compadre a few months back, just to see if I would like MD'ing, turns out, I do. But I'm looking to upgrade to a better model. I would like something that is more a jack of all trades, relic, beach, and surf. Doesn't have to be completely submersible. I just want something reliable, that has good depth and isn't too pricey. Something along the 250-500$ range. I don't really need too many bells and whistles, but I'm a quick learner, so anything with a moderate learning curve. Thanks for the help

-J

Upvote 0

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
If you like the Tesoro then you may want to go up to a Cibola and if you shop around you can probably find a new Deleon for 500.00. If you are interested in trying a different brand, go for it. There is no shortage of good detectors to choose from. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach and surf are two different areas that require different detectors to work well. While most land detectors will do for dry sand hunting on the beach, the wet saltwater sand will drive it fits with its salt concentrations and black sand. The Minelab Sov GT and Excal can hunt both these locals with great results.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I agree with the Cibola choice.If you think you want a TID unit(screen) then you might think of the DeLeon($479).Go to the different manufacturer's websites and check 'em all out.The prices shown there are higher than the dealers sell them for.You have a wide range of White's detectors that would suit you also.
White's - http://whiteselectronics.com/products/metal-detectors.html

Tesoro - http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/

Garrett-http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_products.htm

Fisher - http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/index.html

Here's a site that has several field tests on many of the units;

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a good used Minelab Sovereign GT, it will work great on both land and the wet salt beaches, you can not surmerge it, but other then that it is probably one of the very best for both surf and turf....

Living close to beaches in Florida and not having at least a good wet sand beach detector is passing up a lot of potential gold.............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw this for sale on the forum classifieds section. This a killer machine for a great price. Just make sure this person has a good record when selling things. You'll have to send the money before you get the detector and you don't want to get burned. You can use the money you save to buy yourself a larger coil.

FS Fisher CZ-5
Posted Yesterday at 05:41:22 PM Quote

Works great and in good shape. Only some wear on the rods. I am selling several of my detectors. 360$ shipped.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's hard to find one detector for everything. I know becuse I have tried just about everything. I use two detectors now. An XLT and a Surfmaster PI both made by Whites electronics. The XLT is a do all detector. It works well on the beach, in the desert and in the park. The display can tell you what type of metal, or combination of metal is down there. The pinpointing is dead on because of the singel coil. It is good for at least 2' on objects over 8"wide and I have found diamond rings at 10" on the beach. The PI goes deeper and is completely waterproof. You can pick up an XLT from the T-net listings for under $500. P.S. the XLT was the detector that just found that $5,000,000 hoard of gold in England! Need I say more?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are like golf clubs, different one for different situtations. What works good in one part of the country may not work well in another part

Many land detectors can't handle salt water beaches, they constantly false and chatter due to the minerals in the saltwater. Buy the detector for the type of hunting you will do most. IF you want to hunt the saltwater beaches then look for a detector for that...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Treasure_hunter, the guy wants to get as close as he can to doing everything with one detector! The XLT fits the bill! No false signals,Has a beach setting that works in wet and dry sand. Now I must admitt that black magnetic sand could cause a problem. That's why I bought the PI But I haven't run into much black sand. Also T-net listings show several under $500. I realize there are exceptions, but they are few, that's why I sold my two box detector. If you know of a more versatile detector lets have it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread