Techniques at how to metal detect wide open spaces?

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being i do a lot of farm fields i maybe able to help ya a little
what id do is look for the way any equipment would be brought into the field or were gates would of been and use that as my starting point
then i just meander around till i find some thing good
i mark the area and continue meandering
i do this for the first few times to the field
after that i look to see if there is any pattern to my finds (ie all in a straight line or at one end of the field)
then i start to grid the areas were i have found the most
when i think i am done with that area i grid the closes areas and work out from there

hope this helps

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
fmerg said:
being i do a lot of farm fields i maybe able to help ya a little
what id do is look for the way any equipment would be brought into the field or were gates would of been and use that as my starting point
then i just meander around till i find some thing good
i mark the area and continue meandering
i do this for the first few times to the field
after that i look to see if there is any pattern to my finds (ie all in a straight line or at one end of the field)
then i start to grid the areas were i have found the most
when i think i am done with that area i grid the closes areas and work out from there

hope this helps

Thats pretty much what I do in a farm field also, in like an old sporting field I also wander about. I bet I would find more if I stayed in a pattern, But would probably be over concerned with staying in line and probably not hear a signal.

B

BIG61AL

I tend to do a 20 foot wide search of the perimeter first since activity tends to end or start there. Then I'll kinda wander the large middle area looking for signs or clues on the ground - worn spots, bricks, broken glass, etc. I'll search those spots first and finally do a grid search one way and back again the other way.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
"Mow the lawn".
Take two sticks about waist height.paint the tops a bright colour.place first stick at your starting point...and walk/detect. Look back to check how far offline you've wandered often..because you will. At the end,take 5 steps across (or however wide your swing sweep is) plant the second stick and make your way back over the field.Retrieve first stick..walk 5 steps and plant...etc etc.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Mow the lawn sounds good."

It really depends on how big your area is. 10 acres or less mowing the lawn is great. 10 acres plus you might not get it all done. I would try an X the whole area. Do the corners more, and look for paths or ares where people might have walk in and out. I really like to search a little more around large trees. In fields where there may have been houses Etc. Go to higher ground they would. Look for paths to streams, people need water.

Ed D.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're on the moon unfortunately I can't help. :-X But if it's somewhere on earth more info. might make it easier to try to answer.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Use the biggest coil you have and go fast until you start hitting targets then slow down and work that area hard before moving on. You can grid it if you have time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread