What a disapointing test...

Trass Boulba

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,

Here is a link to http://www.detectortest.info/index.html . Numerous detectors are tested by experienced users. The tests showed are really bad for the Garrett ACE 250. (double click on the photo to maximise)

The methode looks clever, but the results are far away all the good reviews available around the web on that detector...

What about my ACE 250 then ?

Regards
Raphaël

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
anybody that has used an Ace 250, could tell you that test is bogus. I've personally seen things pulled up with an 250 that you wouldn't believe. from the looks of the tests, this guy doesn't spend much time with each one. he's got a garden that he knows where everything is, who knows where, and does a quick scan. you have to practice with a machine to learn what it's telling you

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree to a certain extent with Sniffer, but some of these items are buried on the deep side for most detector's range. 7-8 inches on a tiny hammered is pretty darned deep. I think the more important test for a European detector is whether it can handle the iron. I would imagine that the iron is much worse there than it is here--but probably not the amount of Big iron that we experience in mid-to-late 1800s sites here.

Each detector has its strengths and its weaknesses. I too have seen many amazing things dug by an Ace 250--and I also agree that the machine holds its own quite well against the majority of other models...but I also recognize the fact that these great and amazing things were dug in places that were virgin sites, with little or no competition. So I don't know how it would do in other environments. The user of this Ace 250 recently confided in me that he Much prefers Tesoros. He used a Cibola once and may not ever go back (and he had hunted with his Ace for 3 years solid).

It also depends on the user. I can't get a decent beep out of a Very deep good find sometimes with my 1266, but I know to dig it because I have used the machine for 18 years. It would take a lifetime to become that familiar with that many machines.

So one is stuck with basic air tests or head to head comparisons from folks who own (and Use!) two different models.

Regards,

Buckles

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with BuckleBoy that iron is probably a major issue with all of these tests. I haven't been in this hobby for very long but I'm already finding that the ability to pick out targets in heavy iron/trash is a key feature of the better detectors. It's not enough to just be able to find a deep item that is sitting all by itself. The majority of items that are left to be found are also hidden next to junk (especially in hunted out parks). I think this is where the Ace 250 starts to lose ground to detectors like the Minelabs (which you'll notice from the site do very well in their tests).

But don't despair. Detectors like the Whites DFX also do very badly on their tests despite being fairly expensive detectors. Different detectors do better in different environments. You can't take a coin machine and expect it to do well finding deep relics in trashy areas. The Ace "is what it is" which is an inexpensive detector that does well on coins in certain environments. As such it is still a good buy if that is what you are looking for.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really have some doubts about these results. I've used several of the detectors listed, and in iron an infested environment, and saw nothing like the stated results. Looks to be quite bias to me.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
To many variables. Test one, the ace 250 can't pick up a 4.5 gram silver ring at 3.94"? Says ground iron polluted with small iron discriminated out. It says each individual tested thier machine, well my discriminating out small iron may not be the same as the next guy. What coils were used. Way to many variables.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my little yellow fellow!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! The F75 only missed one on that list! The Minelab SE also (though in one mode it hit everything).

The test looks OK to me. :D :D :D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In comparison to higher end machines, the 250 is a toy. That's just how it is. It's nice to begin with to see if you will enjoy the hobby. But if you show up in a park around here with that thing and you are not a beginner, you will get laughed at.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, even the entry level European made detectors out perform the high end American made detectors. :laughing9:

I sure need to sell my DFX because it can't pick up a 4.5 gram silver ring at 3.94 inches. Thats just plain bogus information.

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100, Pioneer 101
Bologna....each metal detector works differently for each person.
For example...you drive a SUV and your buddy drives a mini sports car.
You decide to drive your friends sports car...your going to feel uncomfortable and odd until you can work all the gadgets and controls. Same with a MD. ;D

I have a BH Discovery 1100 and a Pioneer 101. What does that say about mine? :wink:

These are opinions, there really aren't any scientific facts on which MD is better than another.
People can say there are all day long....nope.
You ask which is better and you get a score of answers.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
I have a BH Discovery 1100 and a Pioneer 101. What does that say about mine?

I could take you to hundreds of places where these two would be just useless. After about 30 minutes of you not even hearing a signal, you'd be asking to for us to take you to a park with woodchips under the swingset. Seriously, I wouldn't let my kids hunt with those. Sorry.

People hate the truth! And the truth happens to be that in a challenging environment (such as in the those tests) many of the popular detectors fall flat.

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Haha...see Shambler, you think that, but you would be surprised what they pick up, in all areas!
You don't like them, because they didn't work for you.
That's YOUR truth. :wink: Not mine. So it doesn't bother me, at all.
But they work just fine for me.
Let me show you MY treasure chest one day ;D

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would really like to participate in this test...i have owned a 250 and found it to be a capable machine with decent depth...i own a m6 now which is basically a mxt and can attest to its great depth....something is fishy with these results

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
That's YOUR truth. Not mine. So it doesn't bother me, at all.

Wait, did I miss something? Are you using them as dowsing rods? Wrong forum maybe.

Let me show you MY treasure chest one day

Everyone know's they detect metal, so in the absence of iron (ESPECIALLY with a concentric coil), at a virgin spot, you'd find all kinds of treasure - no question. And, if you're not too embarassed to be the molester looking guy you'll find the occasional charm or child's ring on the playground.

However, in the situations they site in the tests, you wouldn't do so well.

All of that being said, I like to see people using $50 and $70 machines (or if you watch ebay closely, $25 and $40). :tongue3:

The-Bone said:
i would really like to participate in this test...i have owned a 250 and found it to be a capable machine with decent depth...i own a m6 now which is basically a mxt and can attest to its great depth....something is fishy with these results

Did you read the testing conditions? If you did, and you have experience detecting, you'll understand the results. Hunting in a land that has been used for nearly 3000 years with metal is a bit different than hunting in the U.S. They've tried to duplicate that environment as best they could for their EUROPEAN website.

Someone earlier (I'm tired of quoting) made a comment about the European detectors doing well. Well, DUH!!! Why would a European manufacturer make a detector that didn't do well in the environment they hunt in? It's embarassing that 5% of world wide detectorists live in the States but often make conspiratorial remarks about tests and sales over-seas. Once a year someone will comment on the Regton tests and start the same type of thread as this one.

I wonder why the F75LTD can grab $3000 overseas.....

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Thankfully, I would only be the scary chick at the playground. :laughing9:
Seems a quick search for MDers user opinions turned up some good reviews.
Or bad if that's what your looking for. Even on popular models such as White's.
I care more about 50+ user opinions, than 2 or so guys testing it on a video/website.
I like it, because it IS simple and doesn't have 20 nobs and settings.
I have found objects from 1ft to 1in with my Discovery 1100.
My Pioneer 101 was given to me, in very used condition, but the gentlemen who gave it to me owned it from first production and his collection is nice indeed. ;D I have also gathered a decent little trove using it.
A friend of mine used his *high rated MD* (up to $500+ machine) at the beach a few weekends ago and I went behind him and was able to pull out more than he. And he isn't a novice in the field or with the *high rated MD*... I assure you.
For the price, what I hope to find, and user level; I think my 2 work just fine.
Here are more reviews:
http://www.metal-detector-town.com/

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ShootTheMoon said:
Thankfully, I would only be the scary chick at the playground. :laughing9:
Seems a quick search for MDers user opinions turned up some good reviews.
Or bad if that's what your looking for. Even on popular models such as White's.
I care more about 50+ user opinions, than 2 or so guys testing it on a video/website.
I like it, because it IS simple and doesn't have 20 nobs and settings.
I have found objects from 1ft to 1in with my Discovery 1100.
My Pioneer 101 was given to me, in very used condition, but the gentlemen who gave it to me owned it from first production and his collection is nice indeed. ;D I have also gathered a decent little trove using it.
A friend of mine used his *high rated MD* (up to $500+ machine) at the beach a few weekends ago and I went behind him and was able to pull out more than he. And he isn't a novice in the field or with the *high rated MD*... I assure you.
For the price, what I hope to find, and user level; I think my 2 work just fine.
Here are more reviews:
http://www.metal-detector-town.com/

Up to $500 is not an *high rated MD* Those machines would be about average for the most part. Just because somebody isn't a novice does not mean that they are any good, either.

What did you find at 1ft 1in? Like Shambler said, if you are hunting virgin locations with little iron in the ground, you will think it is a very capable machine. And if I lived close to you, I would ask you to take me to one of your 'hunted out' spots and I would PROVE to you why a better machine is a better investment. My machine is simple and doesn't have 20 knobs on it either. I just turn it on and go no matter where I am.

I could care less about user reviews. Of course everybody is going to like their machine. They spent money on it and want to prove that they made the right decision. What I want to see is REAL WORLD results with those machines. Which machines are going into parks loaded with iron and pulling out multiple OLD silver on EVERY trip. And not just one user here and there, EVERY user across the country. It's certainly not BH or Garrett.

I don't consider finding gold an indicator of a good machine. Finding gold just means that you are digging every signal. Finding gold is an indicator of a person's patience and desire not to give up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread